***** What did we learn - Northwestern Edition *****

I think Tommy played a very good game and you're all crazy.

Also, we have an offensive line now . . .

Wrong. He was not good. Luckily we've been able to winv in spite of our shortcomings at QB.
Really, 5 dropped passes & 2 thrown away. S/B 80% with no TO. Granted he still needs work on the short pass. Better get use it, he will be our starter for 2 more years.

Yeah, there were a lot of dropped balls last night. Fortunately NW dropped quite a few balls too. In the second half anyway. Tommy had a better passing game last night than he had against Sparty. But he did miss a couple of short passes which would have gone for good yardage. That continues to be a frustration.

There were lots of points left on the field last night. Some of those completions were great catches. True about the drops, but many of those balls weren't thrown particularly well.

I don't recall seeing him hit a defender right in the hands, so i guess that's progress.

Short passing games still needs work, but I thought that he was actually trying to get his feet set in the second half. Hope to see improvement week to week.

• I too wish we'd use RB screen passes more often. With someone as dynamic as AA at your disposal we have no reason not too. But we definitely need to put in work on the practice field on them, because Tommy has floated the ball way over AA the last two times in a row we've tried. Kid looked good last night,k but he's still learning the nuances of touch passing. He was stumbling backwards and didn't step into the screen he floated, which means he probably just hasn't practice that throw enough. Still think he needs mechanical work, but he had a better game last night.
  • Cethan Carter needs to hurry up and get healthy. Did anyone consider that perhaps Sam Cotton is just not a very good receiving TE? The guy has 5 career receptions. Carter not being out there destroys that dimension of our offense. Hell, we threw to Trey Foster (which was awesome) before we did to Cotton. Hurry back, Cethan.
  • Cooper had a very poor game last night (from what I remember-- only rewatched through one quarter). Whiffed on 3rd down tackle on first drive and lost contain on the huge 26 yard gain by Jackson later in the first quarter. He needs to step it up. Missing Alexander hurts.
  • Hope it's an open competition between Roach and Bando or Roach outright keeps his job. My biggest fear is Bo just hands it back over to Bando.

Tommy does really need to work on those touch passes when has pressure or is on the move. Swing passes and screens should be completions most of the time.

Ya we need Carter back. Cotton catches the ball well enough but just isn't dynamic.. Wouldn't mind seeing Hart in there more.

I read elsewhere that Cooper has been nursing a bad hammie and that's why he's been so slow this season. Hurts to not only miss Alexander but CJax too. I guess you could throw Keiron in but he's very inexperienced and Gerry may not be ready to take over the secondary while also holding Keiron's hand.

I was surprised to see Bando in there and actually doing something. Ya I wouldn't just hand him the job back either, but it was encouraging to finally see him holding his own. I'd think we finally get Santos back for Rutgers.

I think Tommy played a very good game and you're all crazy.

Also, we have an offensive line now . . .

Wrong. He was not good. Luckily we've been able to winv in spite of our shortcomings at QB.

Really, 5 dropped passes & 2 thrown away. S/B 80% with no TO. Granted he still needs work on the short pass. Better get use it, he will be our starter for 2 more years.

Yeah, there were a lot of dropped balls last night. Fortunately NW dropped quite a few balls too. In the second half anyway. Tommy had a better passing game last night than he had against Sparty. But he did miss a couple of short passes which would have gone for good yardage. That continues to be a frustration.

That's my biggest complaint. Like the screen to AA that would have gone for 6 if the pass is thrown anywhere near him.

That incompletion was on Lewis.
  • Fire 1

I just finished watching the Brook Berringer feature on BTN and everything else seems so insignificant right now.

It was a great win today. This team's fun to watch.

A bunch of us at the OK Husker Club stayed and watched it. Very moving. Well done. I still remember where I was when I heard the news of his crash. I was telling someone at work today, how great it was seeing a young man of character in that film. It is understandable why he is the QB (out of so many greats) who is standing wt Tom in that statue.

How many yards of field position did we gain in the game just b/c DPE was back to return punts?? It was quite a few. Between bad punts and him returning a couple we gained a lot of field position just b/c of him. Makes things so much easier. Now looking back over the last few years just think how much yardage we gave up b/c of poor punt returning. I know we lost a couple games b/c of lost yardage on punt returns over the last 4-5 years.

• Fire 1

How many yards of field position did we gain in the game just b/c DPE was back to return punts?? It was quite a few. Between bad punts and him returning a couple we gained a lot of field position just b/c of him. Makes things so much easier. Now looking back over the last few years just think how much yardage we gave up b/c of poor punt returning. I know we lost a couple games b/c of lost yardage on punt returns over the last 4-5 years.

We gained about 20 when the punter was afraid to punt anywhere near him and sailed it OB at around the 50 yd line. I'm not sure if I've seen an cfb punt go OB further up the field. :lol: