What's Your Midseason Grade for Tommy?

Landlord

I'd have to agree with the majority and say C+/B- range.

Running ability- I would give TA and A-/B+. He runs tough and with authority. Holds onto the ball and isn't afraid of contact. He runs angry. If we grade him lower against MSU, we also need to grade AA lower as well. Unfortunately, no one ran against MSU that day. He sometimes makes the wrong read on the read option. Would like to see him in a traditional option O i.e. triple or belly G. IMO, under TO his running style would have excelled. If he can learn to more quickly process his reads, I think his stock goes up. Would also love to see designed runs i.e. QB draw where he just tucks and rolls.

Passing- Depends on the route. The deep ball appears to be his strength. As mentioned above he does throw that odd "where was he going with that" per game. Much like Ganz and his INT or TM and his fumbles.... We seem to have a QB whose "goto" play isn't highlight worthy. His flat routes are horrible at best. needs to work on getting his feet set and shoulders squared up. IMO, had he hit AA on that screen against MSU in the 4th, AA is the tops Hypesman getter, we are 7-0 and top 10 minimum. If he can get that pass down, defenses look out. Needs to learn to lead receivers better on the swing passes and flats. Again, mechanics issues. If he could learn to look the DB's off, he would be nails in the passing game. He has 12+ games on film staring down the receiver he plans to throw to (often not seeing the coverage). DB and LB's are jumping these routes. Look them off and we get a lot more TD's on the board. Beck's use of the TE (even 1-2 per game) across the middle would clear out the LB's from the box and allow TA more time. Beck's play calling i.e. 2nd half against NW really helped. Over all IMO, C- (flats and swing passes have to improve to get us W's down the stretch).

Decision making- B-/C+ He locks in to much in the passing game and often misses the zone read as 90% of the time it appears the D is keyed on AA. Hasn't really killed us with poor passes or fumbles. Seems to be doing a decent job recognizing the D.

Leadership- Solid A. Kid is tough as nails and leads from the front. Seems to not mind getting in his guys faces when they make mistakes.

Overall, he is doing well with the cards he has been dealt i.e. WR injuries, no TE play, OL woes (MSU). If he can get the short routes i.e. flats and swing passes, this O goes to a whole new and dare I say impossible to stop level. Crowd the box to stop AA, KB or DPE on a screen. AA in motion on a swing with WR blockers etc.....We would be hard, very very hard to stop.

Man, some of you guys are some harsh critics. I give Tommy a solid B. He could be better, but I am not going to say he's been terrible or even average. He's been "good", which equates to a B in my grade book.

I don't think people are that harsh, they just have a different grading method than you do.

It's not exactly the same philosophy as grading schoolwork, but even if it is, by my perspective, an A+ is perfect, which makes an A exceptional, which makes a B still very good, with C being good, D being mediocre, and F being poor. Loosely.

I don't think Tommy is VERY good but I think he is good teetering on the verge.

If A+=all american/Heisman candidate

A=first team all-conference

A-=second team all conference

B+=all conference honorable mention

B=Solid starter/potential to be much better (perhaps even great)/no risk of losing starting positon

B-=Good, may win a championship with him/but he isn't the reason/little risk of losing starting position

C=Average, would be nice to have a little more competition at the position

D= not good, we'd better start looking for replacement

F=I could play better (and I've never played football since the 7th grade.)

I would give him a solid B

B to B+. My take is pretty much the same as Nuance. When, and I do say when not if (maybe I should say "if"), he gets the swing pass/screen/short passing game down he's going to be something really special and we will be nigh unstoppable. I know he's had some "WTH was that" moments but it's all part of the game/growing pains. He has to hone his skill, the ability is there.

I came in here thinking I'm going to give him a C/C+ and get run out. But it seems that where I am at when it comes to Tommy is pretty much the same as most.

Leadership: A-

One thing we consistently hear is about how good of a leader he is. I'd like to see him being the one firing up the OLine instead of Ameer.

Long Passing: B+

He throws a pretty long ball. No denying it. If he and the receivers were on the same page, more of those would turn into completions.

Short Passing: D-

That easy screen pass to AA for what would have been a guaranteed TD. Balls thrown behind receivers.

Running: B+

Read option still needs some work. It seems the reads are mostly made before the ball is even snapped. Pitching in the option is another story. Tommy excels in the area.

Decision making : C

TA needs go through the routes, and on occasion throw to AA when he gets to the flat.

Leadership: A. Tommy seems to have taken charge of the team. Runs an organized huddle, and hasn't had to burn many timeouts. (Has he burned any?) I think he's way ahead of the curve in leadership for a sophomore.

Passing: B-/C+. He doesn't throw too many picks. Some, but not many. He could improve on his touch and accuracy for short passes. Seems like he misses more short passes than long to mid-range. But maybe that's just his receivers adjusting to them. I can't tell. My biggest dig, besides the short passes, is his inability to check down to his second and third receivers. But that'll come. I hope.

Running: A. I can't figure out why people are criticizing Tommy's running. There are not a whole lot of better running QBs around than Tommy right now. A handful, but not many. He runs tough, and is hard to bring down. And he's fast a QB. (I don't care what 74 says above. Tommy is fast damnit!) Sure he doesn't have the quickness that T-Mart had in those first three or four steps. But what QB does? (Answer: Nobody. Ever.)

Decision making: B. I think Tommy makes pretty good option decisions. Both in the read option and the triple option. His decision making in the passing dept is a little bit more suspect. Okay, a lot more suspect if you consider his inability to check down to his second and third receivers.

Overall: B to B+. He's a sophomore guys. It's only going to get better from here on out. Barring injury, that is.

Pretty much what I was going to say, but I can't give him a B+, but he's a B to B-...

But I think he's got a better chance of improving than regressing... at least I hope

I came in here thinking I'm going to give him a C/C+ and get run out. But it seems that where I am at when it comes to Tommy is pretty much the same as most.

Leadership: A-

One thing we consistently hear is about how good of a leader he is. I'd like to see him being the one firing up the OLine instead of Ameer.

Long Passing: B+

He throws a pretty long ball. No denying it. If he and the receivers were on the same page, more of those would turn into completions.

Short Passing: D-

That easy screen pass to AA for what would have been a guaranteed TD. Balls thrown behind receivers.

Running: B+

Read option still needs some work. It seems the reads are mostly made before the ball is even snapped. Pitching in the option is another story. Tommy excels in the area.

Decision making : C

TA needs go through the routes, and on occasion throw to AA when he gets to the flat.

I wish someone on the staff would emphasize the check down to AA more. So many times Tommy could dump it off to AA for a big game but it's almost like he never even sees him