Bo and SECPN

Thing is he's actually skirting the issue. Back when they were more invested in the BIG they pimped it more. Former espn guy Danielson even said so, as soon BTN happened espn backed-off on the con. Now that they are more invested in the SEC by a considerable amount they are pimping the living hell out of them. The biggest force in sports does have an investment in the BIG(and other cons) but not what they have in the SEC and it shows on a consistent basis. I barely watch it outside of games anymore, I'll watch highlights and that's about it. Them saying they aren't biased goes completely against what folks see and hear from their broadcasts.

• Fire 1

Oops. I added a phantom game against South Carolina. Wish I could say we won that phantom game game, but we didn't.

But seriously. Listen to us. Talking about how we played competitively against a good SEC team (but technically mid-level enough to fall to the Capitol One bow) for three quarters before they applied the gas and won going away. And then nudged a demoralized Georgia team with about the same motivation as we had playing Washington.

We can consider playing an SEC team close for three quarters a moral victory. I did at the time. The Georgia win felt a little better because it WAS against an SEC team.

But that also means we've elevated our perception of the SEC.

And again, the rug can be pulled out from under the SEC at any time by going out on the field and defeating their teams.

I thought we reached a rare consensus a few pages ago: the SEC is the strongest conference right now. Just not THAT much stronger.

If you accept that premise, everything eveybody is saying, from Bo Pelini to Chris Fowler, makes perfect sense.

After reading that, I have absolutely no clue what wins and losses I'm supposed to be happy or upset about.

I'm happy about every win. Sad about every loss. I'm pretty simple that way.

I just notice that some folks like to point out how well we did against an SEC team (in a loss) while at the same time suggesting the SEC is no big deal.

I'm not sure you get to do that.

• Fire 1

Someone whispered in aTm's ear telling them they shouldn't play hard OOC games. Especially if you have to travel outside the SEC footprint.

LINK

But, that makes sense. If aTm would lose to Oregon and then go through and beat some of the SEC "powers". That would be a black eye on the conference.

And....I would put my money on Oregon right now in those games.

• Fire 1

There are two issues here. One is the issue with Bo. I'm not arguing that, other than to say Bo responded to questions he was asked three times. He did not bring this up, and he did not say anything at all that was controversial.

The second issue, the greater and far more important issue, is the bias of ESPN. If we just want to focus on All Things Bo and how bad they are, I'm out.

How in the heck did this get to this point (again)?!?

This thread should honestly be a slugfest for us fans to have an opportunity to unload on ESPN and the SEC.

It should be internet version of this:

The_Notebook_ESPN_SEC.jpg

But instead, it somehow meandered it's way into what has become a theme on this whole board:

"How can I show my Anti-Bo stance? How can I spin this to show how much I hate Bo?"

It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to find a way to throw it into every single thread somehow. I know that's a hyperbole on my part, but it almost isn't... It's caused my visits to this site less frequent (that's meaningless to everyone here, totally do not think I am important nor think I contribute "tons") which sucks, because there is a lot of very good things on here.

• Fire 1

My favorite moral victory was giving up only 589 yards and 45 points to an SEC team.

Mine is the hypothetical one we have over A&M this year. People are really obsessed with that team here.

I think you could substitute any SEC team with Texas A & M for the obsession. It is just a perfect example of the bias. They hang 52 on South Carolina and jump 9 spots and their QB becomes an instant Heisman candidate because of his predecessor. Then they go on to lose 3 in a row and the talk isn't that they are a bad team. It's that the SEC is just so tough.

At the same time they are getting their ass handed to them, South Carolina has proven to be nothing more than a paper tiger.

And I think AgMaruder fans the flames with us calling out TAMU. If we had another poster from the SEC schools posting on here in the same way, we would probably put more attention toward that school as well.

• Fire 3

Nebraska barely got penalized for losing to MSU, and with a bye and a win against an unranked Northwestern, we are now ranked higher than when we were undefeated.

So what does that indicate?

Honestly, I don't know. Just thought it fit somewhere in all the tortured logic here.

It indicates we are later in the season and more teams have losses.

• Fire 3

My favorite moral victory was giving up only 589 yards and 45 points to an SEC team.

Mine is the hypothetical one we have over A&M this year. People are really obsessed with that team here.

I think you could substitute any SEC team with Texas A & M for the obsession. It is just a perfect example of the bias. They hang 52 on South Carolina and jump 9 spots and their QB becomes an instant Heisman candidate because of his predecessor. Then they go on to lose 3 in a row and the talk isn't that they are a bad team. It's that the SEC is just so tough.

At the same time they are getting their ass handed to them, South Carolina has proven to be nothing more than a paper tiger.

And I think AgMaruder fans the flames with us calling out TAMU. If we had another poster from the SEC schools posting on here in the same way, we would probably put more attention toward that school as well.

Their schedule is pretty tough.......

Someone whispered in aTm's ear telling them they shouldn't play hard OOC games. Especially if you have to travel outside the SEC footprint.

LINK

But, that makes sense. If aTm would lose to Oregon and then go through and beat some of the SEC "powers". That would be a black eye on the conference.

And....I would put my money on Oregon right now in those games.

The SEC out-of-conference scheduling is mostly pathetic.

Thing is he's actually skirting the issue. Back when they were more invested in the BIG they pimped it more. Former espn guy Danielson even said so, as soon BTN happened espn backed-off on the con. Now that they are more invested in the SEC by a considerable amount they are pimping the living hell out of them. The biggest force in sports does have an investment in the BIG(and other cons) but not what they have in the SEC and it shows on a consistent basis. I barely watch it outside of games anymore, I'll watch highlights and that's about it. Them saying they aren't biased goes completely against what folks see and hear from their broadcasts.

Jim Delaney pissed off ESPN when he got the BTN rolling, and it seems ESPN is still butthurt about it. There was a pretty good story on it few years ago: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-01/sports/ct-spt-0701-big-ten-nebraska--20110701_1_commissioner-jim-delany-john-wildhack-espn-officials

The other thing going on right now is that ESPN has launced and is promoting the SEC network. A lot of the overhype of the SEC going on this year is to get subscribers for the new network, not necessarily to influence polls or game ratings, or whatever else.