Bo and SECPN

The real question is why, after decades and decades of parity in college football, all the while of which 1) The SEC existed and their devotion to football has not changed, and 2) The greatest pool of talent in America exists south of a line from Dallas, TX to Raleigh, NC, why after none of that has changed has the SEC suddenly kept all those kids in their borders, to the ridiculous extent that very talented players who would earn scholarships and starting positions at schools in the Pac-10/12, the Big Ten, the Big XII and the ACC are walking on to SEC schools, gray-shirting, and sometimes getting cut after never playing a snap?

The problem isn't that the SEC has the best players and the best teams. They do, and that isn't debatable. The problem is why. The problem is also, why aren't the veritable army of sports journalists across this country finding out?

College Football is a massive cash cow. ESPN is taking their hit, local and national sports reporters are taking their hit, the conferences are all taking their hit, and everyone's high on the money and success and prestige right now. So much so that figuring out what's really going on isn't a priority. But that blind eye people are turning to some very serious situations is eventually going to come back to haunt them, and worse still, it's going to have a profound, perhaps critical, effect on college football as we know it.

Completely agree.

If this continues, you will see a drop in interest in college football nationally. We need powerful and successful programs from all parts of the country and not just one region.

• Fire 1

There are 12, hopefully, level headed people that will be making the decisions as to who plays for the National Championship. None of them are employed by ESPN to my knowledge. So as far as I am concerned, the SEC can have all 14 teams ranked 1-14 in the AP and coaches poll and it doesn't matter. What matters is what the panel decides.

I agree.

What is going to be really interesting is when the SEC west has 3 in the top 4 (in the beauty pageant polls) and if the committee only puts the one team that's the conference champion in the play offs. (which is how it should be)

Ohhh....my....there will be some southern bitchen then.

Lets's look at the SEC teams that have won the title since this started in 2006, and how they got there. Note, this is all off of memory so please correct any mistakes if im wrong.

2006. Ohio St vs Florida. A very legit argument could be made that Florida didnt deserve that opportunity. They made the most of it yes. But also, how's come Michigan didnt get a second chance. It's a legit question, as we'll see here shortly. Also, there was 1-loss Wisconsin and (gasp) undefeated Boise St all the way down at 6 and 7.

2007. Ohio St vs LSU. Frickin LSU got in with 2 losses. Granted this was just a nutty year in college football. One loss OSU at #1 was the only non-2+ loss team in the top 8 I think it was in the BCS. So why did LSU get the nod over say Oklahoma, who had just beaten #1 Missouri in the CCG, after they lost their last regular season game at home to an unranked Arkansas.

2008. Oklahoma vs Florida. Why didnt Texas get the opportunity over not just Oklahoma, but Florida. As we'll see here shortly. Texas's only loss was to a top ten team on the road. Florida's only lost was to an unranked Ole Miss at home. Just sayin.

2009. Texas vs Bama. Pretty clear cut here. Two undefeated conference champions.

2010. Oregon vs Auburn. Again pretty clear cut.

2011. Bama vs LSU. LOL. Enough said.

2012. Notre Dame vs Bama. This one was pretty clear, but remember, Bama lost a home game in November. Also, there was undefeated Ohio St who was on probation.

2013. Auburn vs FSU. Was clear there was going to be an undefeated SEC champ in this one. Auburn and Bama were separated by a fluke play.

Credit does have to be given where it is due. Those SEC teams did take full advantage of the opportunity. But more times than not, since 2006, very compelling arguments could be made for teams other than the SEC teams that did get in. And 2011 just proved the double standard bullsh#t. Bama got a second chance, but Texas in '08 didnt (after BEATING OU the first time) and Michigan in '06 didnt.

• Fire 3

While I agree that the ESPN and SEC relationship is potenitally dangerous, but are we forgetting that conference won like 7 national titles in a row, and finished 2nd in a classic game last year? And have you been watching the football games this year? I am sorry, but the SEC is by and far the best conference in football. Don't like it? Go beat them. Most teams havent been able to do it.

And....we have proof of what happens when the someone swallows what the media is spewing hook line and sinker.

Those last 7 NCs have absolutely NOTHING to do with this year. NOTHING!!!!!!!

By what you are saying, we should just rank about 5-6 SEC teams 1-6 preseason. They then go play almost nobody in the non-con. Then, miraculously, when they don't lose, hey......they should just be written into the playoffs at the end of the year. Who cares if they lose to each other because obviously, they are so good they should be in anyway.

This is such total BS.

EVERY YEAR, they should be required to win it on the field and not just handed to them because they look pretty.

I couldn't read this one and not respond.

Alabama 42 Notre Dame 14 28 point victory

Alabama 21 LSU 0 21 point victory

Auburn 22 Oregon 19 3 point victory

Alabama 37 Texas 2116 point victory

Florida 24 Oklahoma 14 10 point victory

LSU 38 Ohio State 24 14 point victory

Florida 41 Ohio State 14 27 point victory

average margin of victory of SEC team over non SEC team: more than 16 points.

You can make arguments that SEC gets unfair treatment, but to say it was handed to them is ridiculous. Its not like these games have been that close, they win by an average of more than two touchdowns. To say it has been handed to them is actually taking it away from those players.

Did you hear that whizzing over your head?

What do any of those have to do with crowning the championship THIS YEAR?

Nothing I said had anything to do with previous years. But, since you brought it up, the Alabama vs. LSU championship was handed to them.

The talent level in SEC play has jumped because of three things:

1) Bag Men have become the most influential part of SEC recruiting

2) The media beats recruits over the head with a rubber mallet trademarked by the SEC

3) Recruits love money, and exposure. See above two.

The bias isnt even debatable. Yes they win the non cons but like count pointed out, its not via destruction like College Footbalk Final will have you believe. ESPN is in bed with them and they have to protect their investment. Meanwhile the SEC will do whatever it takes to protect its institutions.

• Fire 1

While I agree that the ESPN and SEC relationship is potenitally dangerous, but are we forgetting that conference won like 7 national titles in a row, and finished 2nd in a classic game last year? And have you been watching the football games this year? I am sorry, but the SEC is by and far the best conference in football. Don't like it? Go beat them. Most teams havent been able to do it.

And....we have proof of what happens when the someone swallows what the media is spewing hook line and sinker.

By what you are saying, we should just rank about 5-6 SEC teams 1-6 preseason. They then go play almost nobody in the non-con. Then, miraculously, when they don't lose, hey......they should just be written into the playoffs at the end of the year. Who cares if they lose to each other because obviously, they are so good they should be in anyway.

This is such total BS.

EVERY YEAR, they should be required to win it on the field and not just handed to them because they look pretty.

You can make arguments that SEC gets unfair treatment, but to say it was handed to them is ridiculous. Its not like these games have been that close, they win by an average of more than two touchdowns. To say it has been handed to them is actually taking it away from those players.

Did you hear that whizzing over your head?

What do any of those have to do with crowning the championship THIS YEAR?

Nothing I said had anything to do with previous years. But, since you brought it up, the Alabama vs. LSU championship was handed to them.

It doesn't have anything to do with this year.

That is all that needs to be said. So, now go and prove it taking the best team in the SEC going against the three best teams from three other conferences and prove it this year.

The talent level in SEC play has jumped because of three things:

1) Bag Men have become the most influential part of SEC recruiting

2) The media beats recruits over the head with a rubber mallet trademarked by the SEC

3) Recruits love money, and exposure. See above two.

The bias isnt even debatable. Yes they win the non cons but like count pointed out, its not via destruction like College Footbalk Final will have you believe. ESPN is in bed with them and they have to protect their investment. Meanwhile the SEC will do whatever it takes to protect its institutions.

:clap

This is such total BS.

Home field advantage is a wonderful thing.

There are 12, hopefully, level headed people that will be making the decisions as to who plays for the National Championship. None of them are employed by ESPN to my knowledge. So as far as I am concerned, the SEC can have all 14 teams ranked 1-14 in the AP and coaches poll and it doesn't matter. What matters is what the panel decides.

This x1000.

I've beat this drum before, but I don't think fans want to hear that the traditional polls are completely meaningless now. Basically, they have the same weight as HuskerinSunDiego's poll does.

• Fire 2

This x1000.

I've beat this drum before, but I don't think fans want to hear that the traditional polls are completely meaningless now. Basically, they have the same weight as HuskerinSunDiego's poll does.

Polls are the absolute most meaningless and ridiculous way to crown a champion and decide who pays for one.

It's not necessarily that as much as this is completely uncharted territory. None of us have been around for a College Football world where the polls don't dictate who plays for a championship. Nobody really knows what to do with this.

I completely agree, though. The polls are going to be a rough guide from now on, not the Law of the Land. Sports writers have far less influence today than they did 12 months ago, and that's a very good thing. It'll remove some of the major media outlets' ability to influence things.

• Fire 3

It's not necessarily that as much as this is completely uncharted territory. None of us have been around for a College Football world where the polls don't dictate who plays for a championship. Nobody really knows what to do with this.

I completely agree, though. The polls are going to be a rough guide from now on, not the Law of the Land. Sports writers have far less influence today than they did 12 months ago, and that's a very good thing. It'll remove some of the major media outlets' ability to influence things.

Absolutely. As I've said in other threads, it'll take at least a few years of the committee before most fans can move on from the polls meaning something.