Bo and SECPN

This is a major problem for college football. There isn't enough cross over games to really be able to tell anything. So, it's left up to polls that are influenced by media that has financial reasons to want some teams to be highly ranked and others not.

What ever happened to the idea (probably never went past that) where the B1G and PAC 12 would play crossover OOC games and the sec and XII did the same?

The SEC backed out when they discovered they would actually have to play road games. Im serious.
  • Fire 2

SEC fans get quite butthurt over very innocent comments. They are like little sheep that follow the company line without an original thought. Read the responses below the article I posted if you want a laugh. Judging from them I doubt they actually read what he said (or they don't have the mental capacity to understand simple English)

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/news/63871/53113534/bo-pelini-does-not-like-espns-relationship-with-the-sec?sect=home_right

• Fire 1

While I agree that the ESPN and SEC relationship is potenitally dangerous, but are we forgetting that conference won like 7 national titles in a row, and finished 2nd in a classic game last year? And have you been watching the football games this year? I am sorry, but the SEC is by and far the best conference in football. Don't like it? Go beat them. Most teams havent been able to do it.

Triple-facepalm.jpg

Seriously...after all of the discussion about preseason poll bias and the incestuous relationship between the SEC and ESPN, you still post that?

I've said it before--pretty much this whole era of SEC 'dominance' will come crashing down hard once the rest of the conferences stand up for themselves and get tired of this s**t, and it will be a tainted era in college football...not unlike the steroid era of baseball.

• Fire 4

While I agree that the ESPN and SEC relationship is potenitally dangerous, but are we forgetting that conference won like 7 national titles in a row, and finished 2nd in a classic game last year? And have you been watching the football games this year? I am sorry, but the SEC is by and far the best conference in football. Don't like it? Go beat them. Most teams havent been able to do it.

its_horriblethis_idea-34768.gif

Did you even read his comments or are you just being a sheep. Nothing you just wrote had anything to do with anything that Bo Pelini said. Just like people on the article I linked to above I hav serious doubts that you actually read his comments.

• Fire 1

its_horriblethis_idea-34768.gif

Did you even read his comments or are you just being a sheep. Nothing you just wrote had anything to do with anything that Bo Pelini said. Just like people on the article I linked to above I hav serious doubts that you actually read his comments.

I read them, and I agree with them. My point was, and I did a poor job of explaining it, that even with media "hype", it eventually at some point does get settled on the field. I think the SEC is this best due to their almost decade long streak of winning national titles, not because ESPN tells me they are the best.

yeah it does. Like having NFL talent-ridden bellcows beat lowly BigTen'ners Iowa and Wisconsin by a single score. Or one of your preseason National Title contenders lose their 5th game to Bo Pelini's arguably worst team. Or that Bama team that was really gonna give Bob Stoops his up-and-comins. Less than two years ago, Northwestern beat Mississippi St in a bowl game.

Yep. Real dominance on the field there SEC.. borat-thumbs-up.jpg

• Fire 5

I know think higher of Bo Pelini...I'm tired of ESPN ruining my favorite sport.

Too many title games have been handed to undeserving SEC teams. Sure those teams can win the title game but they didn't truly earn their way there. I mean you give Stanford, Wisconsin, Baylor, etc a shot at a title and they have a good shot of winning one. Problem is none of those schools have earned their way into the game. How may title games have the SEC backed their way into? LSU? Bama? Remember when Auburn sat on the outside of a title game? Think that would happen now? How about all the bowl games played in SEC country? Think that might have a bit to do with their bowl record?

We don't know how good ole miss and miss state really are. Impressive wins. Sure if you believe the rankings. I still say Missouri and A&M walking into the SEC and doing so much damage in the first 2 years proves the SEC isn't the powerhouse of football.

• Fire 3

The real question is why, after decades and decades of parity in college football, all the while of which 1) The SEC existed and their devotion to football has not changed, and 2) The greatest pool of talent in America exists south of a line from Dallas, TX to Raleigh, NC, why after none of that has changed has the SEC suddenly kept all those kids in their borders, to the ridiculous extent that very talented players who would earn scholarships and starting positions at schools in the Pac-10/12, the Big Ten, the Big XII and the ACC are walking on to SEC schools, gray-shirting, and sometimes getting cut after never playing a snap?

The problem isn't that the SEC has the best players and the best teams. They do, and that isn't debatable. The problem is why. The problem is also, why aren't the veritable army of sports journalists across this country finding out?

College Football is a massive cash cow. ESPN is taking their hit, local and national sports reporters are taking their hit, the conferences are all taking their hit, and everyone's high on the money and success and prestige right now. So much so that figuring out what's really going on isn't a priority. But that blind eye people are turning to some very serious situations is eventually going to come back to haunt them, and worse still, it's going to have a profound, perhaps critical, effect on college football as we know it.

• Fire 6

That's not the point he is making.

The point he is making deals more with:

Texas A&M beat South Carolina. Because South Carolina is SEC and aTm is SEC , right after it happens ESPN started pumping up about how aTm was a top 10 team and national title contender, how Trill was a heisman candidate. Never once did they hint that it was just because SC was that bad and that possible aTm was still just an average team.

Ohio State loses to VT and automatically they start talking about how the BIG is out of the playoffs, how weak the BIG is. Never once did they say that maybe VT was a good team.

Mississippi State is still being mentioned as having beaten 3 "top 10" teams when 2 of those teams don't even belong in the Top 25.

Anytime an SEC team loses to an unranked or lower ranked SEC team they hype it as the lower team is just THAT good.

If any other conference has a top team lose to a lower team they point out, at great length, that those teams don't belong.

They use 2 totally different sets of rules when talking about SEC compared to anyone else.

• Fire 7

There are 12, hopefully, level headed people that will be making the decisions as to who plays for the National Championship. None of them are employed by ESPN to my knowledge. So as far as I am concerned, the SEC can have all 14 teams ranked 1-14 in the AP and coaches poll and it doesn't matter. What matters is what the panel decides.

• Fire 3

The real question is why, after decades and decades of parity in college football, all the while of which 1) The SEC existed and their devotion to football has not changed, and 2) The greatest pool of talent in America exists south of a line from Dallas, TX to Raleigh, NC, why after none of that has changed has the SEC suddenly kept all those kids in their borders, to the ridiculous extent that very talented players who would earn scholarships and starting positions at schools in the Pac-10/12, the Big Ten, the Big XII and the ACC are walking on to SEC schools, gray-shirting, and sometimes getting cut after never playing a snap?

The problem isn't that the SEC has the best players and the best teams. They do, and that isn't debatable. The problem is why. The problem is also, why aren't the veritable army of sports journalists across this country finding out?

College Football is a massive cash cow. ESPN is taking their hit, local and national sports reporters are taking their hit, the conferences are all taking their hit, and everyone's high on the money and success and prestige right now. So much so that figuring out what's really going on isn't a priority. But that blind eye people are turning to some very serious situations is eventually going to come back to haunt them, and worse still, it's going to have a profound, perhaps critical, effect on college football as we know it.

I completely agree with this. The SEC seems out of control with oversigning, boosters paying players, etc, and that gets very little attention, because ESPN does not want SEC teams on probation.

That is just it though. Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State x2 were all given that chance, and couldn't do it. I just don't understand the logic that says the SEC unfairly gets in the title many years in a row, but then wins the game many years in a row. According to your argument, essentially that given the opportunity, other conferences would end up with a title or two, has actually proven not to be true. It literally has been settled on the field.

But I digress. Obviously, it is just something we disagree about, which is the beauty of college football boards. Different opinions.

having to national champion doesnt make the rest of the conference better. it means they had the best team in the nation that year.

bowl games dont tell the whole story either as you have sec 2 v pac12 4 in one bowl game then sec 3 v b1g 6 in another. (hypothetical, but illustrating a point) in all conferences the 2 and 3 teams are supposed to be better than the 4th and 6th best teams. often times these games take place in the backyard of the sec.

but the real issue being highlighted is why a lower sec team beats a higher ranked sec team, why isnt it said that the higher ranked team was over-rated. why is it the lower team automatically becomes better than they were originally perceived? take missouri, they fell out of the rankings after losing to indiana only to jump back in after beating a south carolina team that is showing to be worse than they were given credit for. indiana didnt jump into the polls after beating missouri either. yes, i also know of the other failings to knock off sec teams in non-con games. and yes i know those losses say the sec is superior but when looking at those games do they truly say the sec is superior or just better on that saturday?

And....we have proof of what happens when the someone swallows what the media is spewing hook line and sinker.

Those last 7 NCs have absolutely NOTHING to do with this year. NOTHING!!!!!!!

By what you are saying, we should just rank about 5-6 SEC teams 1-6 preseason. They then go play almost nobody in the non-con. Then, miraculously, when they don't lose, :rolleyes: hey......they should just be written into the playoffs at the end of the year. Who cares if they lose to each other because obviously, they are so good they should be in anyway.

This is such total BS.

EVERY YEAR, they should be required to win it on the field and not just handed to them because they look pretty.

• Fire 1