What exactly is different

I keep hearing this. People saying that this team feels different. While I bought into that concept after the Miami game, since, I just don't see it. I know I've been a pretty pessimistic sh#t lately but I can't help it. Becuase I'm seeing the same old issues that have plagued this program for 6 years prior to this and I would like someone to explain to me what's different. I'm sorry. I just don't see it.

While my recent angst towards mostly what I believe to be our in-over-his-head OC may be somewhat misplaced, I'm still not satisfied about the play of this team. Yes, I'm happy we win/won. Those of you claiming critics arent happy with a win are just stupid. Plain and simple. But is see things. LOTS of things. And they stem well beyond nitpicking playcalling. I watch Bo's press conference after the game, and it's clearly obvious we still have issues. Bo has not been that visibly upset all season long. I DO NOT SEE US GETTING BETTER. So, i just want to get this out and open it up for discussion. I just wanna know what's different.

When your talking about the "same old issues" I'm assuming your talking about turnovers, penalties, and getting blown out in big games?

Turnovers

Fumbles lost 6 which annualized at 13 games is about 10, the last few years we were at 16, 22, 11, 16

Interceptions 6 also annualized is 10, last few years are 13, 13, 8, 8

Penalties

50 annualized is about 81, the last few years were 77, 88, 86, 109 (BTW the 6.3 per game is within 1 of a range of 33-97 nationally and Michigan is 2nd as far as least penalties a game)

And the National game we played obviously was far better than anything the last few years.

Honestly if you dont see us getting better I don't think you are watching unbiased.

yeah it is penalties and turnovers and such. That's a part of it. But like I said, it is a very VAGUE type of deal. I mean, already this year, which is barely half over, we've already had that major letdown against and inferior opponent, and the big fail on the big stage. For whatever reason I havent really seen anything from an intangible sense-numbers and stats against mediocre-at-best competition aside-that tells me this is the edition that turns the corner.

I feel like a sh#t cuz I cant really find the right words to describe what I mean. I'm doing the best I can.

But I think that is what proves this team is different they had the let down but in the past they would have found a way to lose that game, every team in America has let down games against inferior teams the good ones find a way to win anyway.

Kind of like the difference between good pitchers and great pitchers, the great ones win without their best stuff

I respect that you're hopeful but losing Ameer alone is just plain huge. His backups are nowhere near him in terms of skill.

The gap between Ameer and the other 2-3 is even greater than I thought going into the season. It's night/day. With Taylor back, and Newby/Cross being able to get into a rhythm it won't be as bad as it could be though. Armstrong should be more lethal through the air which will help as well. We've never really had an issue finding a quality RB.

Losing Bell is less concerning. The receiver depth is good and someone will step into that role without issue. If anything, I think we'll miss his blocking more than his catching.

Losing Gregory/Anderson/Mitchel will not be as bad as losing Hagg/Amukamara/Gomes in 10', or probably even David/Dennard the following year. While Gregory is spectacular, Anderson/Mitchel should be easily replaced by our depth - and with Moss coming back the sting from Gregory leaving should not be as significant. We had no one to replace David for a couple years and the entire LBer group was slow and struggled really bad. Hagg/Amuk/Gomes was probably the best combination of talent we've had in a long time.

• Fire 1

It's pretty much the same tune and results with this head coach season after season. With Abdullah graduating and Gregory more than likely gone next season I don't see the Huskers turning the corner anytime soon and if anything I see them taking a step back.

I'm sure there will be some offensive dropoff without Abdullah but we should be just fine. We still have Newby, Taylor, Wilbon and possibly KBJ who will all likely see playing time next year. I don't think there will be much defensive dropoff, even with the loss of Gregory. Yes, the line won't likely be as stout but gaining back the starters we lost this year (C-Jax, Rose, Alexander), we will be upgrading the talent at other positions to hopefully keep even keel with where we are now.

If the rest of this season plays out the way we all hope it will, I absolutely think we turn the corner.

I respect that you're hopeful but losing Ameer alone is just plain huge. His backups are nowhere near him in terms of skill.

I definitely agree the backups are nowhere near where Ameer is talent wise right now. Since Newby is the only one who has actually seen playing time in college, it's too hard to say about the other two but I think Newby has very close to, if not basically the same ceiling for talent as Ameer. I think he makes a similar jump that Ameer made between his Sophomore and Junior seasons. So while I don't expect Ameer's production next year, I still say we will be okay as the backs we have should be more than serviceable. Couple that with hopefully a big jump from Armstrong and it should be another exciting season. :koolaid2:

I keep hearing this. People saying that this team feels different. While I bought into that concept after the Miami game, since, I just don't see it. I know I've been a pretty pessimistic sh#t lately but I can't help it. Becuase I'm seeing the same old issues that have plagued this program for 6 years prior to this and I would like someone to explain to me what's different. I'm sorry. I just don't see it.

While my recent angst towards mostly what I believe to be our in-over-his-head OC may be somewhat misplaced, I'm still not satisfied about the play of this team. Yes, I'm happy we win/won. Those of you claiming critics arent happy with a win are just stupid. Plain and simple. But is see things. LOTS of things. And they stem well beyond nitpicking playcalling. I watch Bo's press conference after the game, and it's clearly obvious we still have issues. Bo has not been that visibly upset all season long. I DO NOT SEE US GETTING BETTER. So, i just want to get this out and open it up for discussion. I just wanna know what's different.

When your talking about the "same old issues" I'm assuming your talking about turnovers, penalties, and getting blown out in big games?

Turnovers

Fumbles lost 6 which annualized at 13 games is about 10, the last few years we were at 16, 22, 11, 16

Penalties

50 annualized is about 81, the last few years were 77, 88, 86, 109 (BTW the 6.3 per game is within 1 of a range of 33-97 nationally and Michigan is 2nd as far as least penalties a game)

And the National game we played obviously was far better than anything the last few years.

Honestly if you dont see us getting better I don't think you are watching unbiased.

yeah it is penalties and turnovers and such. That's a part of it. But like I said, it is a very VAGUE type of deal. I mean, already this year, which is barely half over, we've already had that major letdown against and inferior opponent, and the big fail on the big stage. For whatever reason I havent really seen anything from an intangible sense-numbers and stats against mediocre-at-best competition aside-that tells me this is the edition that turns the corner.

I feel like a sh#t cuz I cant really find the right words to describe what I mean. I'm doing the best I can.

Don't feel bad. I totally get the vague sense that we're not there yet, and that the two letdowns were disturbingly familiar. My optimism is a gut-level feeling itself.

I think we'll know more in January, when the season is over.

That will leave us only 8 months to dissect where Nebraska went right/wrong.

Turnovers

Penalties

Don't feel bad. I totally get the vague sense that we're not there yet, and that the two letdowns were disturbingly familiar. My optimism is a gut-level feeling itself.

My deal is I'm trying to define this pessimistic attitude I developed during the Michigan St game, which carried over and grew throughout a sh**ty first half against Northwestern, into something specific. So I rant about playcalling and Tim Beck. Well I know I was in the wrong about that. In all reality, I dont know how to spin it any other way. It's just a really vague concept. Yeah, a lot of things have greatly improved, but the McNeese St game, and the first 3 to 3.5 quarters of the Michigan St game tell me that not a damn thing has changed.

• Fire 1

The first thing I notice is that we have a QB who can both throw and run and not get injured every other play.

What I see that hasn't changed is:

An all too often pass happy OC. When we have three quality RB's there is no reason not to play smash mouth. Its also time to utilize our tight ends.

The offensive line just does not really improve and if its not Cotton its one of the others getting flagged for one thing or another and my God why do we now

have a center who can't snap the ball successfully all the time. I can not ever remember one costly bad snap in a year let alone three.

Lastly the lines on both sides of the ball looks fat, not all of them, but some. The S and C coach needs to go.

T_O_B

Turnovers

Penalties

Can I tell you something, in all sincerity you are the type of poster we need more of on this board, someone who has doubts and negative feelings but isn't the end of the world fire the whole coaching staff we are terrible type that are so prevalent on all message boards! So with no sarcasm, thank you for getting into an intelligent could conversation where we admit to not having the answers but genuinely seek to find them! Kudos to you

Turnovers

Penalties

My deal is I'm trying to define this pessimistic attitude I developed during the Michigan St game, which carried over and grew throughout a sh**ty first half against Northwestern, into something specific. So I rant about playcalling and Tim Beck. Well I know I was in the wrong about that. In all reality, I dont know how to spin it any other way. It's just a really vague concept. Yeah, a lot of things have greatly improved, but the McNeese St game, and the first 3 to 3.5 quarters of the Michigan St game tell me that not a damn thing has changed.

The difference is in the results. We are 7-1 with only one close win and one close loss to a Top 10 team (I'm defining a close game by less than one TD). Compare that to last year after the first eight games, we were 6-2 with two razor thin victories and two losses (one loss by a point shy of 3 TD to a #16 rank team).

Throwing out what hype and storylines were leading up to each game (e.g., the Northwestern game was hyped to be much more of a battle than it turned out), the feel during the games have been not of if we will win or loss (as in years past, with the exception of the Michigan St game), it has been how well will this team show out for all four quarters. When you think about the criticisms from fans and media we have been looking at the details of the games rather than having concerns about scheme and talent. Bo's criticisms seem to come from knowing he has something special with this team and wanting them to have a strong mental edge to play solid football throughout games, rather than looking to find answers for a self-injuring offense, an inexperienced defense, or a train-wreck that was special teams.

Honestly, looking just at the transformation of this team from last year to this year, I am amazing at what the coaching staff has been able to do. My only question with this team is if they are ready for prime-time (meaning could they be a national team in the hunt for the play-offs) or is their ceiling a B1G championship (+ bowl game).

Turnovers

Penalties

I guess I don't look at it the same way you do. I assume you are talking major letdown as being Rutgers. You entitled to your opinion but I don't consider an 18 point win, be it a sloppy game, a major letdown. Yes we lost to MSU but it was only a 5pt loss.

Turnovers

Penalties

I guess I don't look at it the same way you do. I assume you are talking major letdown as being Rutgers. You entitled to your opinion but I don't consider an 18 point win, be it a sloppy game, a major letdown. Yes we lost to MSU but it was only a 5pt loss.

McNeese St.

Rutgers was actually a pretty encouraging game now that I've watched it a few times. As sloppy and inconsistent as it was, it really showed some obvious talent advantage in many, if not all, positions. Even Bo was as mad about the performance as anyone, yet the game was never really in doubt as we pretty much dominated. That's having legit talent on your team to make up for that.

And I just will not concede the MSU game as nothing more than a 3 quarter ass whoopin with a flukish 8 minute flurry that came up short and did nothing but try to take away from the very serious issue of another massive failure on a national stage. We almost won the game. Cool. But when do we fix the issues that led us to being down 27-3 to begin with, when it's clear we may very well be a more talented team? It's one things if that was an isolated incident. But this unpreparedness has been happening year after year after year. And I guess that's what this thread is really about. What exactly has the team put on film this year to suggest it's different, esp if you take our level of competition into account?

Turnovers

Penalties

McNeese St.

Rutgers was actually a pretty encouraging game now that I've watched it a few times. As sloppy and inconsistent as it was, it really showed some obvious talent advantage in many, if not all, positions. Even Bo was as mad about the performance as anyone, yet the game was never really in doubt as we pretty much dominated. That's having legit talent on your team to make up for that.

And I just will not concede the MSU game as nothing more than a 3 quarter ass whoopin with a flukish 8 minute flurry that came up short and did nothing but try to take away from the very serious issue of another massive failure on a national stage. We almost won the game. Cool. But when do we fix the issues that led us to being down 27-3 to begin with, when it's clear we may very well be a more talented team? It's one things if that was an isolated incident. But this unpreparedness has been happening year after year after year. And I guess that's what this thread is really about. What exactly has the team put on film this year to suggest it's different, esp if you take our level of competition into account?

There has been great strides in all three phases of the game. We have won the field position battle in all but one game, iirc. That has come from limiting TO on our side of the field, great third down play by our defense, our defense forcing more 3-N-outs, and awesome special teams play all around.

Compared to last year, special teams is night and day from last year, and I would think know one could disagree with that. Our defense has another year under their belt and have been playing well with in the system at DL and DB (maybe LB play has not progressed or taken a step back at times). This has lead to no blow out games. We also have some big-time playmakers on offense (Ameer, Tommy, Kenny, and Jordan) that have been rather consistent (KB may be the exception here), and DPE is showing he could be another star.

The gap between Ameer and the other 2-3 is even greater than I thought going into the season. It's night/day. With Taylor back, and Newby/Cross being able to get into a rhythm it won't be as bad as it could be though. Armstrong should be more lethal through the air which will help as well. We've never really had an issue finding a quality RB.

Losing Bell is less concerning. The receiver depth is good and someone will step into that role without issue. If anything, I think we'll miss his blocking more than his catching.

Losing Gregory/Anderson/Mitchel will not be as bad as losing Hagg/Amukamara/Gomes in 10', or probably even David/Dennard the following year. While Gregory is spectacular, Anderson/Mitchel should be easily replaced by our depth - and with Moss coming back the sting from Gregory leaving should not be as significant. We had no one to replace David for a couple years and the entire LBer group was slow and struggled really bad. Hagg/Amuk/Gomes was probably the best combination of talent we've had in a long time.

You are absolutely correct on how much we will miss Bell's blocking.

The first thing I notice is that we have a QB who can both throw and run and not get injured every other play.

An all too often pass happy OC. When we have three quality RB's there is no reason not to play smash mouth. Its also time to utilize our tight ends.

The offensive line just does not really improve and if its not Cotton its one of the others getting flagged for one thing or another and my God why do we now

have a center who can't snap the ball successfully all the time. I can not ever remember one costly bad snap in a year let alone three.

Lastly the lines on both sides of the ball looks fat, not all of them, but some. The S and C coach needs to go.

T_O_B

I agree/disagree with some things here, but what I really wanted to point out is that the offensive line has been my biggest concern at Nebraska for years. It's been above average at best over the last several years, and it's really tough to be a good football team if your line play isn't very good. We've recruited some really good players there on paper, but our best linemen in recent history used to be a walk-on (Spencer Long). We don't see any other linemen going to the NFL, and while the draft isn't the only factor for whether you have a good player, it still tells me a lot that our recent linemen are virtually non-existent in the NFL.

T_O_B

I agree/disagree with some things here, but what I really wanted to point out is that the offensive line has been my biggest concern at Nebraska for years. It's been above average at best over the last several years, and it's really tough to be a good football team if your line play isn't very good. We've recruited some really good players there on paper, but our best linemen in recent history used to be a walk-on (Spencer Long). We don't see any other linemen going to the NFL, and while the draft isn't the only factor for whether you have a good player, it still tells me a lot that our recent linemen are virtually non-existent in the NFL.

I like the way you think, Enhance89. I have thought the same thing.

To paraphrase Mike Leach "the offensive line is the most important position on the football team"