What exactly is different

My biggest concern is Tommys decision to throw that pick against Rutgers. The fumble sucked but that happens. The pick though, mind boggling. I got ridiculed for being critical of him throwing the game losing pick to Sparty, I was told that was the receivers fault for not running his route. Ok, then pray tell why did Tommy throw this last one. That concerns me alot.

But Im not going to let it spoil my optimism. I truly think were on our way to winning out. Not an easy task but definitely doable.

So you are using this pick as proof for the Michigan St pick? You know they are two separate incidences that were caused by different things happening. Yes, the Rutgers pick was bad, but the receivers did run into each other in the Michigan St game, which messed up the timing of the play (Hovey was open and should have been a completion if they don't run into each other, so it wasn't really a bad decision anyway).
NO, Its not proof or anything like that. The receivers werent prepared for the play and thats fine. Tommy didnt have to throw it but he did and thats that. I think it was a bad decision but thats my opinion I guess, throwing it away instead of into coverage gives you two more downs. What do I know.

But The Rutgers pick was to a receiver that was out of bounds, he had time to look that way before throwing it.

But The Rutgers pick was to a receiver that was out of bounds, he had time to look that way before throwing it.

The Rutger's pick was pretty rough. I expect to see some of those from a young QB. We used that excuse with Martinez until about halfway through his 3rd year as a starter so I figure Tommy can get it for a while longer as well. (slight exaggeration obviously)

However, if you look at some of his other throws, the one to Westerkamp, or the throw to Abdullah, or the Cotton TD - those were throws he was misfiring on early this year. Reads he wasn't progressing to. Moore had a couple of drops as well. He hardly missed a target on Saturday - which is a huge jump from earlier in the year and a massive leap from last year. That's the good news. The bad news is that there still seems to be miscommunication between he and the WRs at times. If you go through and look at all of his picks this season, it's more of a timing thing than him throwing into coverage - which is certainly far move fixable than him getting happy feet and lunging the ball downfield. I think he'll be fine, no need to worry.

I keep hearing this. People saying that this team feels different. While I bought into that concept after the Miami game, since, I just don't see it. I know I've been a pretty pessimistic sh#t lately but I can't help it. Becuase I'm seeing the same old issues that have plagued this program for 6 years prior to this and I would like someone to explain to me what's different. I'm sorry. I just don't see it.

While my recent angst towards mostly what I believe to be our in-over-his-head OC may be somewhat misplaced, I'm still not satisfied about the play of this team. Yes, I'm happy we win/won. Those of you claiming critics arent happy with a win are just stupid. Plain and simple. But is see things. LOTS of things. And they stem well beyond nitpicking playcalling. I watch Bo's press conference after the game, and it's clearly obvious we still have issues. Bo has not been that visibly upset all season long. I DO NOT SEE US GETTING BETTER. So, i just want to get this out and open it up for discussion. I just wanna know what's different.

In years past the team ocasionally folded when faced with adversity. This team plays through it.......big change.

• Fire 1

What is different?

1- Turnovers have improved.

2- Special Teams play has improved, particularly punt return.

3- Seems to be better player leadership, especially at the key QB position.

4- We have had a "feel good" win with the Miami game this year.

5- DL play has greatly improved from previous years.

What has stayed the same, or why things don't seem better?

1- With the exception of the Miami game, we still do not play all 4 quarters, typically good for about only 2 quarters.

2- The team starts slow and sluggish and major adjustments don't appear until the 2nd half.

3- The team came out flat and played 3 terrible quarters vs MSU, likely the biggest game of our regular season. Good or "special" teams don't crap the bed in their biggest game of the year.

4- We struggled with McNeese, an FCS opponent.

5- Other than the wins over Miami and FAU, the other wins have been pretty unimpressive and all could've/should've had a wider margin of victory and a more complete effort from beginning to end.

6- We lost our only game vs an opponent with a heartbeat, MSU. With the talent this team has there is no excuse for not winning this game.

So, on one hand, things do appear to be different but, on the other hand, the results so far have been pretty ho hum and not really different at all considering the weakness of our schedule. I can't shake the feeling that the other shoe is soon to fall and we'll drop the usual couple of games that we shouldn't. I know exactly where you are coming from Count 'Bility.

• Fire 2

The defense is pretty solid (Top 25 maybe?)

Punt returns

Less turnovers

Less flags (I think)

I don't know if it's less flags, but less back breaking types of penalties giving the opponent new life!

According to the NCAA website, we are getting flagged about 6 times a game for a little more than 50 yards per game. Anyone know how that compares to the last few years?

Year - # per game - Yards per game

2003 - 6.8 - 54.6

2004 - 6.9 - 50.6

2005 - 8.1 - 63.0

2006 - 5.5 - 45.7

2007 - 6.4 - 48.7

2008 - 7.2 - 61.8

2009 - 7.1 - 63.9

2010 - 7.9 - 72.8

2011 - 6.9 - 54.6

2012 - 6.1 - 57.2

2013 - 6.1 - 53.6

2014 - 6.6 - 60.9

Source (doesn't include FBS opponents)

I keep hearing this. People saying that this team feels different. While I bought into that concept after the Miami game, since, I just don't see it. I know I've been a pretty pessimistic sh#t lately but I can't help it. Becuase I'm seeing the same old issues that have plagued this program for 6 years prior to this and I would like someone to explain to me what's different. I'm sorry. I just don't see it.

While my recent angst towards mostly what I believe to be our in-over-his-head OC may be somewhat misplaced, I'm still not satisfied about the play of this team. Yes, I'm happy we win/won. Those of you claiming critics arent happy with a win are just stupid. Plain and simple. But is see things. LOTS of things. And they stem well beyond nitpicking playcalling. I watch Bo's press conference after the game, and it's clearly obvious we still have issues. Bo has not been that visibly upset all season long. I DO NOT SEE US GETTING BETTER. So, i just want to get this out and open it up for discussion. I just wanna know what's different.

In years past the team ocasionally folded when faced with adversity. This team plays through it.......big change.

I completely disagree. If nothing else, every year Pelini has had teams that handle adversity well. The problem is that every year we seem to be our own source of adversity.

2008 - Lost 3 straight games to fall to 3-3 then finishing the season 6-1 with a bowl win over Clemson

2009 - Coming back in the 4th qtr against Mizzou and winning 27-12. Winning 5 straight to end the season after 2 rough losses including the turnover fest against ISU. Shutting out Arizona in the bowl game after the Texas CCG.

2010 - Maybe not so much, but this was the last year in the Big 12 with all the conspiracy theories that the refs were against us and still managed to get to the CCG and lose by 3.

2011 - Largest comeback in school history against OSU.

2012 - I don't relaly remember this season so much and nothing sticks out to me. Maybe overcoming Rex's injury.

2013 - Losing our 4 year starting QB and all the distractions from the released tape.

Not to mention our streak of games decided by 7 or less.

I completely disagree. If nothing else, every year Pelini has had teams that handle adversity well. The problem is that every year we seem to be our own source of adversity.

2008 - Lost 3 straight games to fall to 3-3 then finishing the season 6-1 with a bowl win over Clemson

2009 - Coming back in the 4th qtr against Mizzou and winning 27-12. Winning 5 straight to end the season after 2 rough losses including the turnover fest against ISU. Shutting out Arizona in the bowl game after the Texas CCG.

2010 - Maybe not so much, but this was the last year in the Big 12 with all the conspiracy theories that the refs were against us and still managed to get to the CCG and lose by 3.

2011 - Largest comeback in school history against OSU.

2012 - I don't relaly remember this season so much and nothing sticks out to me. Maybe overcoming Rex's injury.

2013 - Losing our 4 year starting QB and all the distractions from the released tape.

Not to mention our streak of games decided by 7 or less.

How's about the part where we dig ourselves a hole and find a way to comeback and win in the second half week after week after week after week after week? Does that ring a bell?

• Fire 1

What would be considered playing 4 quarters of good football is a reach for any team. Examples to consider......would either Oregon or Michigan State say they played 4 quarters of good football in their game earlier this season? What about Alabama in their 14-13 win over the Hogs? The point being putting together 4 quarters is rare for any team.

I don't know, you tell me:

There is definitely a new influx of attitude and tenacity on this team that weve been missing.

Dont forget the obvious upgrade in talent.

How much better do you really think the offensive line is this year than years past? I think it may be a little better, but it's not leaps and bounds.

It's my opinion but to Tommy is already better than Taylor ever was when it comes to doing what a qb should do, and that's lead the offense. There's much more to it than nitpicking stats and picks and completion percentage. It's how the team responds to the leadership and what the qb brings to the table from a threat standpoint.

Stalker alert.

We are making second-half adjustments, and generally getting better as the game goes on. That's not a small thing. For me the lack of in-game adjustments - mental and scheme-wise - was the single most frustrating thing about Bo Pelini teams. I thought the 4 quarter thing was just my perception, but we are statisically consistent both sides of the ball. I think we may even be one of the few, if only, teams to score at least once in every quarter, in every game. At least I think I heard one of the announcers say that.

SCORE BY QUARTERS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total

Nebraska 63 99 79 88 329

These are the same wins we used to enjoy when we were going 9 - 3 under Tom Osborne. Expected but satisfying. And I think this offense is actually better than a lot of those squads. The defense is turning into one of those "break, don't bend" units, which isn't so bad because they seem able to dial things up as needed. I just see better discilpline and fundamentals across the board. We're a punishing team now, in a way we weren't.

Oh yeah, and special teams.

And a great year for highlight reel plays, some of the best in Husker history, now in rotation on ESPN and every other NCAA football montage.

Anything can happen, and having been burned too often we have a right to be skeptical, but until further notice I'm going to keep enjoying this team.

• Fire 2

What would be considered playing 4 quarters of good football is a reach for any team. Examples to consider......would either Oregon or Michigan State say they played 4 quarters of good football in their game earlier this season? What about Alabama in their 14-13 win over the Hogs? The point being putting together 4 quarters is rare for any team.

I don't expect the Huskers, or any team, to dominate for 4 quarters. But surely we can expect more than average to good for two quarters coupled with bad to below average for the other two. I'm not willing to set the bar that low. We can and should be playing more complete games than we have been. It's not like our competition is making it impossible to do so. We're our own worst enemy in most all instances. I can handle close games or losing, if we're getting beat. Problem is most of the damage is self inflicted and that's a lot harder to accept.

• Fire 1