What exactly is different

The first thing I notice is that we have a QB who can both throw and run and not get injured every other play.

What I see that hasn't changed is:

An all too often pass happy OC. When we have three quality RB's there is no reason not to play smash mouth. Its also time to utilize our tight ends.

The offensive line just does not really improve and if its not Cotton its one of the others getting flagged for one thing or another and my God why do we now

have a center who can't snap the ball successfully all the time. I can not ever remember one costly bad snap in a year let alone three.

Lastly the lines on both sides of the ball looks fat, not all of them, but some. The S and C coach needs to go.

T_O_B

I agree/disagree with some things here, but what I really wanted to point out is that the offensive line has been my biggest concern at Nebraska for years. It's been above average at best over the last several years, and it's really tough to be a good football team if your line play isn't very good. We've recruited some really good players there on paper, but our best linemen in recent history used to be a walk-on (Spencer Long). We don't see any other linemen going to the NFL, and while the draft isn't the only factor for whether you have a good player, it still tells me a lot that our recent linemen are virtually non-existent in the NFL.

I like the way you think, Enhance89. I have thought the same thing.

To paraphrase Mike Leach "the offensive line is the most important position on the football team"

About 25 years ago I got snowed in at the Holiday Inn in Winona, MN. While having a beer in the bar that night the table next to me was discussing strength

training programs at major schools. Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State were all mentioned but not Nebraska so I just leaned over and said the best S & C

program was at Nebraska. To my surprise one of the guys leaned forward and said, "Thanks, that's my program, I'm Boyd Epply." I was asked to join their table and in the course of the conversation Coach Epply mentioned that they often recruited on bone structure knowing that they could build great linemen. We need to get back to this and then get a solid O-Line Coach.

T_O_B

About 25 years ago I got snowed in at the Holiday Inn in Winona, MN. While having a beer in the bar that night the table next to me was discussing strength

training programs at major schools. Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State were all mentioned but not Nebraska so I just leaned over and said the best S & C

program was at Nebraska. To my surprise one of the guys leaned forward and said, "Thanks, that's my program, I'm Boyd Epply." I was asked to join their table and in the course of the conversation Coach Epply mentioned that they often recruited on bone structure knowing that they could build great linemen. We need to get back to this and then get a solid O-Line Coach.

T_O_B

How do you know we don't do that some now?

People then need to realize if you recruit a player based on bone structure and plan on building him into a great O lineman, don't expect to see him on the field for a few years. Fans would go ape sh#t that we suck because nobody sees the field their Freshman or sophomore years.

T_O_B

I have to echo BigRedBuster's thoughts on this, too - how do we know the coaches don't already recruit based on the factors you mentioned? Perhaps you have some inside knowledge? (not trying to be smart - just genuinely interested)

I also don't know how much of it is really S&C, and I tend to lean away from blaming that. I think it's more talent combined with coaching. Players have come and gone, but results have stayed about the same. A former Husker offensive linemen was being interviewed after the Michigan State loss and pointed out that what he saw just a lack of focus and poor play all around. It wasn't a lack of physical power. For example, Cotton had that RIDICULOUS false start and then he also botched up on the 2-point conversion play. Those are mistakes that physical power have nothing to do with, and those mistakes were being made all over the line.

T_O_B

I have to echo BigRedBuster's thoughts on this, too - how do we know the coaches don't already recruit based on the factors you mentioned? Perhaps you have some inside knowledge? (not trying to be smart - just genuinely interested)

I also don't know how much of it is really S&C, and I tend to lean away from blaming that. I think it's more talent combined with coaching. Players have come and gone, but results have stayed about the same. A former Husker offensive linemen was being interviewed after the Michigan State loss and pointed out that what he saw just a lack of focus and poor play all around. It wasn't a lack of physical power. For example, Cotton had that RIDICULOUS false start and then he also botched up on the 2-point conversion play. Those are mistakes that physical power have nothing to do with, and those mistakes were being made all over the line.

I have no inside info it just seems that our linemen have a bit more of a bulge around the middle than, lets just say in the 90ies and before. I think it starts with recruiting (we've had a lot of walk on All Americans) and then the S&C packs on muscle and power. From there it evolves to coaching and technique and the ability to be coached. Maybe we should also look at how many Academic All Americans we are producing? We used to produce a good many and a lot of them were linemen, does anyone here know? The Pirate Coach is totally right, the key to winning begins up front a place we used to dominate but haven't for far too long.

T_O_B

Another interesting thing about this is that HS kids nowadays are totally different than HS kids 20-30 years ago. Our local class C1 HS has a weight room that would have made many colleges jealous back then. My son who is a freshman has been lifting since he was between his 7th and 8th grade year. We have a PE coach that is also the full time athletic trainer that works with these kids (all sports) in both weight training and nutrition.

I think back to the weights we had in the 80s and these kids would laugh their azzes off and honestly, very very few kids took advantage of even the ones we had.

NOW, take this to the level of some of these major HSs around the country and it's amazing how much more developed these kids are coming out of HS than they used to be. A truly good football player is already going to have multiple years of weight training.

The first thing I notice is that we have a QB who can both throw and run and not get injured every other play.

An all too often pass happy OC. When we have three quality RB's there is no reason not to play smash mouth. Its also time to utilize our tight ends.

The offensive line just does not really improve and if its not Cotton its one of the others getting flagged for one thing or another and my God why do we now

have a center who can't snap the ball successfully all the time. I can not ever remember one costly bad snap in a year let alone three.

Lastly the lines on both sides of the ball looks fat, not all of them, but some. The S and C coach needs to go.

T_O_B

I agree/disagree with some things here, but what I really wanted to point out is that the offensive line has been my biggest concern at Nebraska for years. It's been above average at best over the last several years, and it's really tough to be a good football team if your line play isn't very good. We've recruited some really good players there on paper, but our best linemen in recent history used to be a walk-on (Spencer Long). We don't see any other linemen going to the NFL, and while the draft isn't the only factor for whether you have a good player, it still tells me a lot that our recent linemen are virtually non-existent in the NFL.

To paraphrase Mike Leach "the offensive line is the most important position on the football team"

T_O_B

I remember reading a couple of articles in the 80s about recruiting (mainly encouraging kids to walk on) who had the bone structure to add muscle. I remember a lot of sub 250 pound red shirt freshman OL.

T_O_B

T_O_B

I remember reading a couple of articles in the 80s about recruiting (mainly encouraging kids to walk on) who had the bone structure to add muscle. I remember a lot of sub 250 pound red shirt freshman OL.

Those 250 lb. lineman are still out their in Nebraska, the problem is that most of them don't walk on, the are going to USD or SDSU or NWMSU or wherever else they are getting some scholarship money to play football.

Player leadership is much more apparent than in previous years. Abdullah, Armstrong, Bell, Mitchell, Gregory, etc. are all very effective vocal leaders.

Yeah, the players aren't acting like a bunch of sheep and are trying to fix it themself. The last few years it seemed like they were punching a clock and couldn't wait to get home. Maybe it's my imagination , but Tommy seems like a driven player....probably had to make him come in out of the rain when he was a kid.

Player leadership is much more apparent than in previous years. Abdullah, Armstrong, Bell, Mitchell, Gregory, etc. are all very effective vocal leaders.

Yeah, the players aren't acting like a bunch of sheep and are trying to fix it themself. The last few years it seemed like they were punching a clock and couldn't wait to get home. Maybe it's my imagination , but Tommy seems like a driven player....probably had to make him come in out of the rain when he was a kid.

How can you tell that leadership is better this year than in years past? I think that's something that only the team would be able to speak to. Other than having a better record, what other evidence is there that someone could see just by watching the games? I would think that leadership was strong in 2012 with Rex and Compton as seniors. Last year we had Ciante, SJB, Ankrah on defense and pretty much the entire O-line. I think the biggest difference this year is that we have a very weak schedule. We still have games that we lose focus for stretches and we still have games that we show perseverance. I just think it's hard for a fan to judge the leadership of a team.

• Fire 1

How can you tell that leadership is better this year than in years past? I think that's something that only the team would be able to speak to. Other than having a better record, what other evidence is there that someone could see just by watching the games? I would think that leadership was strong in 2012 with Rex and Compton as seniors. Last year we had Ciante, SJB, Ankrah on defense and pretty much the entire O-line. I think the biggest difference this year is that we have a very weak schedule. We still have games that we lose focus for stretches and we still have games that we show perseverance. I just think it's hard for a fan to judge the leadership of a team.

I think fan's ability to know if there is good leadership or not is way over rated.

Fans can't know what goes on in the locker room, but they can see the result on the field.

Like it or not, a football game is an entertainment product, so what the fans perceive is pretty key to the whole college football process.

Also, what players say into a microphone doesn't always reflect what's said in the locker room, and it's often the exact opposite.

It's no science, but I'm just going by the body language on the sideline, in the huddle, taking the field, after a play succeeds or fails. The team sometimes looked disengaged during games in recent years. Not seeing it as much this year. Feels like more leadership, leading to more personal accountability on everyone's part.

I know that's kinda squishy, but this is a mental game.

• Fire 1

The player's reaction to the way he played tells me something about his attitude. I think some fans think we're Nebraska so we should just buy the best coach and he in turn will buy the best players SEC style......anything less is unacceptable. If you buy the recruiting hype then you'd have to say Bo is not the best recruiter but he coaches above his star ranking. It appears he has a pretty good record for such lowly stars and the playoff committee seems to agree having rated us higher than the coaches or writers. Or the players are punching above their weight. Or both.

As far as the weak schedule comment....wasn't last year the one we where we had the weak schedule and were supposed to run the table due to our explosive offense and experience? I consider Tommy to be about the equivalent of a freshman QB who is still learning.....I think he's getting more understanding every game. Will he top out where he is now? Your guess is as good as mine.....my guess is he'll get pretty good. As far as leadership, you're right...what do we really know about what the team is thinking? It appears to me just from observation that Tommy no longer has the rookie mindset and he's taking charge when he sees something he doesn't like. My guess is we have several quarterbacks on the defensive side and a few injured ones as well who aren't satisfied with lousy play.

Every team has leadership in some form. When leadership is also NFL caliber talent, you're on to something. As far as weak schedules go.....there were two seasons in the late 80s that Kansas State won exactly zero total games. Zero. The Big 8 had OU, Nebraska and nuthin' else.