CFB Selection Committee Rankings (Updated 11/11)

Kernal

I like that the committee appears to take wins and losses pretty seriously. The two unbeaten teams are #1 and #2. All the one-loss teams are next, except Duke and East Carolina, which have five 2-loss teams ahead of them.

I think you absolutely have to value wins and losses as the first criteria.

Undefeated Marshall would like a word...Y

I mean among power-5 teams.

I'd like to see some re-alignment done so that power-5 teams are in their own division, that way teams like Marshall can compete to be a national champion among similarly situated teams.

My solution would be to give all conference champs an automatic bid and have the playoff committee determine the at large bids.

That seems like an improvement to me. I'd still like for those mid-major teams and conferences to have their own championship though. Most of them will never be competitive with the bigger schools over the course of a full season, and with their schedules it's hard to even compare them.

1. Mississippi State

2. Florida State

3. Auburn

4. Ole Miss

5. Oregon

6. Alabama

7. TCU

8. Michigan State

9. Kansas State

10. Notre Dame

11. Georgia

12. Arizona

13. Baylor

14. Arizona State

15. Nebraska

16. Ohio State

17. Utah

18. Oklahoma

19. LSU

20. West Virginia

21. Clemson

22. UCLA

23. East Carolina

24. Duke

25. Louisville

There's an article up now on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11780604/college-football-playoff-rankings-mississippi-state-bulldogs-florida-state-seminoles-top

Not sure I understand this new method- I think the top four teams will play in two bowl games and the final two in a championship game in the new year. I don't know if this is much better than the BCS or the previous method. Looking at this first list, its possible that there could be more than 4 teams considered worthy- especially by the fans and writers.

I still think they should play all bowl games as they have been played up to now and then select the top 4 teams. The semi-finals should be played in mid January and the championship game on the day before the Super Bowl. There may be more than 4 teams looking like championship teams after all bowl games are played but less likely that the present method. I sent an email to Perlman and his opinion was that the extended time would be too disruptive to the academics. I think only four schools would be affected and they would be more than compensated by huge TV revenues.

FCS teams play a 24-team playoff and somehow manage to still be college students- I think their games all take place in December. Perlman is full of crap.

The committee's top four teams will be in the two playoff bowls with the winners playing in a new championship game. I believe the committee will also select the participants for the four non-playoff major bowls. Not sure if they are locked in to #5-#12, or how that all works.

"Well as you would expect, there is a lot of discussion about head-to-head," Long said. "But you have to remember that head-to-head is only one of the criteria we're using. We're also using how those teams performed with the other teams they played on their schedules. So head-to-head is important, but it's not the only factor obviously."

The Oregon Ducks came in at No. 5, significantly higher than a one-loss team that beat them, No. 12 Arizona. Long was asked how that was different from the Ole Miss-Alabama situation.
"You look at Oregon, they not only beat Michigan State, but they went on the road and had a good win at UCLA. So I think their body of work -- as you guys have said and we use a lot in the room as well -- is better than that of (Arizona)."
The Big 12 didn't have a team in the top six of the rankings. TCU was the top-ranked Big 12 team, coming in at No. 7. Long was asked what that means about how they view the strength of the Big 12 as a conference.
"Again, I think it's important for me to point out, we really don't look at is as a conference. We look at the games that Kansas State has played; they played an excellent game at home in a close loss to Auburn and then the Oklahoma win was important for them. So again, we don't analyze it by conference. We look at those teams and evaluate the teams they played and the success they had, or the failures they had."

1. Mississippi State

2. Florida State

3. Auburn

4. Ole Miss

5. Oregon

6. Alabama

7. TCU

8. Michigan State

9. Kansas State

10. Notre Dame

11. Georgia

12. Arizona

13. Baylor

14. Arizona State

15. Nebraska

16. Ohio State

17. Utah

18. Oklahoma

19. LSU

20. West Virginia

21. Clemson

22. UCLA

23. East Carolina

24. Duke

25. Louisville

There's an article up now on ESPN: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11780604/college-football-playoff-rankings-mississippi-state-bulldogs-florida-state-seminoles-top

Not sure I understand this new method- I think the top four teams will play in two bowl games and the final two in a championship game in the new year. I don't know if this is much better than the BCS or the previous method. Looking at this first list, its possible that there could be more than 4 teams considered worthy- especially by the fans and writers.

I still think they should play all bowl games as they have been played up to now and then select the top 4 teams. The semi-finals should be played in mid January and the championship game on the day before the Super Bowl. There may be more than 4 teams looking like championship teams after all bowl games are played but less likely that the present method. I sent an email to Perlman and his opinion was that the extended time would be too disruptive to the academics. I think only four schools would be affected and they would be more than compensated by huge TV revenues.

Unfortunately we will never have a system which will be fair or desirable even if we were able to get the corrupt element out. The nature of the game doesn't lend itself to a "comprehensive"(?) tournament as in basketball. The sport is way to hard on the body to keep adding a game for each additional round. I think the best we can hope for is an 8 team field; and even that, assuming all of the early games are maintained, is too much in my humble C6 vertebrae destroyed opinion. The long term health concerns with players is a major issue and will only get worse as the medical industry analyses findings of current and future studies. Rule changes and tech. advances in equipment will not be able to counter the increases in speed and size of future athletes. Couple that with a litigious society and the argument could be made that the long term future of the sport is perilous.

• Fire 1

Also if we win out and Mich st wins out you will have 2 top 10 teams in the B1G CCG. Winner is in the playoffs period

If TCU and Oregon win out, not necessarily.

TCU doesn't have a CCG. What top 10 team would Oregon play in their CCG?

You're talking as though that's the only criteria. But even if we pretend it is, Oregon already beat Michigan State. Now if we don't pretend that's the only criteria, TCU appears to have beaten better competition than MSU or Ohio State or Nebraska. Not even considering that they've beaten 2 top 10 teams ('cause those teams won't end up top 10).

• Fire 1

I would really like to get to the point where we have 8 conferences, no independents. 8 team playoff, conference champions only. Winning your division would be alot more important. Winning your conference would be more prestigious. Round 1 Division winners face off in conference title game. Round 2 You seed the conference champions. Round 3 you continue with the seeds. Round 4 crowns a National Playoff Champion.

It would be an 8 team playoff but really it would be a pseudo 16 team playoff where all conferences send 2 teams that, god forbid, eliminate eachother in the first round like a qualifier.

• Fire 1

Holy cow. There's a whole lotta football left to be played. This isn't the final four or top 25 yet. I guess people have to flip out over something. I'm going to wait and see what it looks like when it matters. Something tells me it will be lot less contentious when it comes down to it. There's maybe going to be one team with a legitimate gripe when it all shakes out. Not getting my panties in a bunch yet.

• Fire 3