Why Can't Nebraska Perform Like "X" School?

Landlord

I look at it this way thus far this season....NEB can play like crap at times, but still win convincingly...i.e. vs. Purude and Rutgers. Now, while in past years....those games may have been closer....and possibly a loss.

Every team has crap games, even "the best" ones. And to provide my own answer to NUpolo8's response, Yes. NEB could hang with some of those teams IMO...may not be a win, I wouldn't favor Neb in most of them...but I don't think Neb would get blown out. Not this Husker team this year.

So "not getting blown out against the good teams" is the new standard. Got it.
Lol its a damn step in the right direction, but I also didn't say Neb couldn't win some of those games. Let's let this season play out...plenty of football left to be played, including the teams Landlord posted.

Not gonna lie though, still real troubling seeing bumbling, scratch your head mistakes on the offense. The same Ole sh#t for years now. The turnovers may be a bit down this year, which is excellent...however, the same weird issues linger at times.

No, it is not a step in the right direction.

What? Not getting blown out? Then WTF is it?
  • Fire 1

I look at it this way thus far this season....NEB can play like crap at times, but still win convincingly...i.e. vs. Purude and Rutgers. Now, while in past years....those games may have been closer....and possibly a loss.

Every team has crap games, even "the best" ones. And to provide my own answer to NUpolo8's response, Yes. NEB could hang with some of those teams IMO...may not be a win, I wouldn't favor Neb in most of them...but I don't think Neb would get blown out. Not this Husker team this year.

Lol its a damn step in the right direction, but I also didn't say Neb couldn't win some of those games. Let's let this season play out...plenty of football left to be played, including the teams Landlord posted.

Not gonna lie though, still real troubling seeing bumbling, scratch your head mistakes on the offense. The same Ole sh#t for years now. The turnovers may be a bit down this year, which is excellent...however, the same weird issues linger at times.

Losing?

I mean, this was our goal? Beating the Purdue's of the world like this?

Losing?

I mean, this was our goal? Beating the Purdue's of the world like this?

I agree that we shouldn't strive to lose by less, because a loss is a loss. Thus, we shouldn't be happy losing. But, using that logic, a win is a win, so one can't be too critical when we only win by a small margin...our goal is to win which is what we did against to Purdue so let's move on

Polo pooping up even more threads with his inability to understand definitions properly.

As I go through some of these threads it occurs to me that Nebraska lost today, and some are glad. If NU goes 11 and 1 these Nostradami will bitch about losing the one game.

Broken. Record.

If we go 11-1, I'll be giddy. I'll be happy as hell. But as of right now, there's still a lot of issues. Issues that in fact show no sign whatsoever of being fixed and will not only prevent 11-1, but will probably result in 9-3. Until we come out ready to play against Wisconsin and play good competent football for at least most of the game (since apparently asking for a good solid 4 quarters once in a decade is too much) and at the very least win the game, this is the reality.

Except what we watched today has been consistent the past seven years on offense. Same problems and same issues year in and year out.

True. But this team wins those sloppy games while teams in the past would sh#t the bed. It's easy to see our flaws from our perspective but to the nation we are 8-1 and rolling. I'm just as hard on this team as anyone else, but we won today without any kind of offense and still put up 35 points.

Why can't Nebraska perform like "X" school?

Let's look at some common opponents and what some other teams have done against them.

NU 55 FAU 7

FIU 38 FAU 10

UAB 31 FAU 28

Marshall 35 FAU 16

NU 31 McNeese 24

Sam Houston 38 McN 22

NU 55 Fresno 19

Wyoming 45 Fresno 17

UNLV 30 Fresno 27

NU 38 NW 17

Iowa 48 NW 7

No Illinois 23 NW 15

NU 42 Rutgers 24

Wiscy 37 RU 0

tOSU 56 RU 17

There's more and I realize the inherent flaws in comparing scores but, some people act like they can't understand why some of us aren't impressed with some of our wins. This is why. We aren't doing anything that many unranked, un thought of teams, aren't doing to the same crap opponents. We've played two teams with a heartbeat, Miami and MSU. We came ready to play against Miami, so I know we are capable and that is why all these other games are so frustrating. It's not just doom and gloom and complain for complainings sake. It's relevant because I don't think we can play this poorly and beat Wiscy or Iowa or Minny or the CCG or our bowl game. Sorry, I see 3 losses in there somewhere and then we're right back to the question; what has really changed?

• Fire 2

Polo pooping up even more threads with his inability to understand definitions properly.

As I go through some of these threads it occurs to me that Nebraska lost today, and some are glad. If NU goes 11 and 1 these Nostradami will bitch about losing the one game.

Broken. Record.

If we go 11-1, I'll be giddy. I'll be happy as hell. But as of right now, there's still a lot of issues. Issues that in fact show no sign whatsoever of being fixed and will not only prevent 11-1, but will probably result in 9-3. Until we come out ready to play against Wisconsin and play good competent football for at least most of the game (since apparently asking for a good solid 4 quarters once in a decade is too much) and at the very least win the game, this is the reality.

Actually, you are pretty even handed, and I absolutely share most of your concerns. I'm talking about the ones who can reliably be counted on to piss on a win, each time, every time. They are as regular as Aunt Fanny's bowel movements, and their posts resemble them. I have eyes, and I can see that in too many regards we continue to make the same mistakes. I just don't want to be lumped in the the agenda Nostradami.

Why can't Nebraska perform like "X" school?

Let's look at some common opponents and what some other teams have done against them.

NU 55 FAU 7

FIU 38 FAU 10

UAB 31 FAU 28

Marshall 35 FAU 16

NU 31 McNeese 24

Sam Houston 38 McN 22

NU 55 Fresno 19

Wyoming 45 Fresno 17

UNLV 30 Fresno 27

NU 38 NW 17

Iowa 48 NW 7

No Illinois 23 NW 15

NU 42 Rutgers 24

Wiscy 37 RU 0

tOSU 56 RU 17

There's more and I realize the inherent flaws in comparing scores but, some people act like they can't understand why some of us aren't impressed with some of our wins. This is why. We aren't doing anything that many unranked, un thought of teams, aren't doing to the same crap opponents. We've played two teams with a heartbeat, Miami and MSU. We came ready to play against Miami, so I know we are capable and that is why all these other games are so frustrating. It's not just doom and gloom and complain for complainings sake. It's relevant because I don't think we can play this poorly and beat Wiscy or Iowa or Minny or the CCG or our bowl game. Sorry, I see 3 losses in there somewhere and then we're right back to the question; what has really changed?

Fun fun.

MSU 45 Purdue 31

NU 35 Purdue 14

• Fire 6

#1 Mississippi State struggled with 5-4 UAB, giving up 600 yards of offense, over 400 passing yards, and never led by more than two scores.

#2 Florida State barely beat unranked 5-4 Oklahoma State and unranked 5-4 North Carolina State, giving up 36 points per game, 450+ yards per game, and giving away several turnovers.

#3 Auburn barely put away 4-4 South Carolina.

#5 Oregon almost lost to 2-7 Washington State giving up 600 yards of offense and only scoring 31 points against one of the worst defenses in the country.

#6 Alabama only beat 4-5 Arkansas by one point, gaining only 227 yards of offense against the 40th ranked defense in the country.

#9 Kansas State only beat 2-6 Iowa State by 4 points, only winning on the last drive after giving up 28 straight unanswered points.

#10 Notre Dame struggled quite a bit against 4-5 North Carolina, winning by only one touchdown and giving up 43 yards and 500+ yards, with 3 turnovers.

#11 Georgia lost to 4-3 Florida today, giving up 38 points to one of the worst offenses in the entire country.

#12 Arizona has struggled and barely squeaked out victories against 2-6 UTSA, 5-3 Nevada, and 4-4 Cal.

#13 Baylor, with the top offense in the country, only managed 27 points and 318 yards against West Virginia, even though they forced 3 turnovers and WVU having the 61st ranked defense.

#16 Ohio State lost with 3 turnovers and only 300 yards of offense to unranked Virginia Tech, who lost to East Carolina, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Miami, and Boston College.

#17 Utah lost to 2-7 Washington State, and barely beat 4-3 Oregon State in two overtimes.

#18 Oklahoma nearly lost to 3-5 Texas, with only 29 yards of offense in the first half, and 232 yards total.

I didn't go any further down than that because you get the point. Ugly, inconsistent games happen to everyone - even multiple times per season! That's not to say we don't have plenty of room for progress, it's not to say that we're even doing great at being consistent or executing at a high level at all times. It's simply to say that executing a consistent 4 quarter complete football game isn't exactly a common occurrence for ANYONE, and while it's absolutely something to strive for, it's not something to call for firing coaches or a week's worth of whining when it doesn't happen every week.

Honestly ask yourself if you think Nebraska could stay within Auburn, Miss st, Notre dame, Florida st, Alabama or other wise.

Yes or no, we're done here. Because one answer ands the thread, and the other ends the thread because you refuse perspective.

I think we could play with anyone of those teams. What exactly have they done to warrant such high praise besides get put up on a pedestal by the media. I think LOMS pointed it out pretty clearly that the very top teams that some seem to shoot their wad on have just as bad performances as us.

• Fire 1

#1 Mississippi State struggled with 5-4 UAB, giving up 600 yards of offense, over 400 passing yards, and never led by more than two scores.

#2 Florida State barely beat unranked 5-4 Oklahoma State and unranked 5-4 North Carolina State, giving up 36 points per game, 450+ yards per game, and giving away several turnovers.

#3 Auburn barely put away 4-4 South Carolina.

#5 Oregon almost lost to 2-7 Washington State giving up 600 yards of offense and only scoring 31 points against one of the worst defenses in the country.

#6 Alabama only beat 4-5 Arkansas by one point, gaining only 227 yards of offense against the 40th ranked defense in the country.

#9 Kansas State only beat 2-6 Iowa State by 4 points, only winning on the last drive after giving up 28 straight unanswered points.

#10 Notre Dame struggled quite a bit against 4-5 North Carolina, winning by only one touchdown and giving up 43 yards and 500+ yards, with 3 turnovers.

#11 Georgia lost to 4-3 Florida today, giving up 38 points to one of the worst offenses in the entire country.

#12 Arizona has struggled and barely squeaked out victories against 2-6 UTSA, 5-3 Nevada, and 4-4 Cal.

#13 Baylor, with the top offense in the country, only managed 27 points and 318 yards against West Virginia, even though they forced 3 turnovers and WVU having the 61st ranked defense.

#16 Ohio State lost with 3 turnovers and only 300 yards of offense to unranked Virginia Tech, who lost to East Carolina, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Miami, and Boston College.

#17 Utah lost to 2-7 Washington State, and barely beat 4-3 Oregon State in two overtimes.

#18 Oklahoma nearly lost to 3-5 Texas, with only 29 yards of offense in the first half, and 232 yards total.

I didn't go any further down than that because you get the point. Ugly, inconsistent games happen to everyone - even multiple times per season! That's not to say we don't have plenty of room for progress, it's not to say that we're even doing great at being consistent or executing at a high level at all times. It's simply to say that executing a consistent 4 quarter complete football game isn't exactly a common occurrence for ANYONE, and while it's absolutely something to strive for, it's not something to call for firing coaches or a week's worth of whining when it doesn't happen every week.

Honestly ask yourself if you think Nebraska could stay within Auburn, Miss st, Notre dame, Florida st, Alabama or other wise.

Yes or no, we're done here. Because one answer ands the thread, and the other ends the thread because you refuse perspective.

I'd probably say we could stay within. Whether or not we would is another question. This Nebraska team, actually all of Bo Pelini's teams while here at Nebraska, have shown a tendency to be able to both beat anyone (No. 9 Michigan State in 2011, No. 7 Missouri and No. 17 Oklahoma State in 2010, a Miami game this year, that while still not great, is starting to look a bit more impressive every week) or be able lose any, and i truly do mean any, game (iowa state 2009, texas tech 2009, washington 2010, northwestern 2011, Wisconsin 2012, Minnesota 2013). So i don't know whether you basing an argument purely on the conjecture of playing teams not on our schedule, some of whom also have extremely unimpressive schedules, is anymore "perspective" (especially considering perspective is literally defined as "a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; A point of view") than the guy who chooses to look at this team as a team that, while not any where close to perfect, is still an 8-1 team that still has a CHANCE to do something great even if they don't take advantage of that chance. I think it is a known fact that we have played both down and up to different opponents at different times so much of your logic here is based on poor argumental tactics.

For instance: I'm assuming (perhaps erroneously idk how you think) that if we were to be able to sum up our expectations for Bo Pelini and this team in one-word it would be: WIN (some may add while maintaining the university's integrity, but hey, that's not one word). Guess what? While it was ugly as hell, we still managed to do that. In fact, we've done it 8 of 9 times this year. Sometimes handily. Sometimes awfully. But hey purely from win percentage, the only stat that REALLY counts, we're are currently sitting better at 8-1 than we have been 10 weeks into the season that we were in either of 2011-2013 seasons. So, regardless of a patsy schedule, we've still managed to stay at least somewhat in the hunt for the playoffs, sometimes despite ourselves, when there are also quite a few teams in the FBS who also have lame schedules who have not managed to do the same. Thats not to say that we shouldn't expect more out of this team than what we are seeing, (which is I'm sure what your comeback will be, that "How far have we fallen that I, Nupolo8, have the only true expectations for what a husker football team should really be, all you other Husker fans just don't get it) its just saying that, despite ourselves, all of our goals are still available to us.

Im really not trying to attack you as a poster or even as a person (we're both husker fans who just want to see Nebraska win), but as a poster who usually looks forward to your posts and tries to be a realist himself (and a bit of a contrarian haha) i feel as though your arguments have delved into the realms of special pleading, false dichotomy (this idea you are promoting, intentionally or unintentionally, that every husker fan seems to fall into either the unintelligent sunshine pumper category or the "realists" who see that the sky is falling because it clearly is), argument by question(For instance, "do you honestly think we would stay with team X? because I'm clearly right and you're clearly an idiot depending on your answer), reductive fallacy, Argument by dismissal (for instance "we're done here, honestly its a message board we're never gonna be done here haha), definitely guilty of holding tightly to the transitive property (we struggled against rutgers, which means we'll struggle against wisconsin, despite the fact that Wisconsin lost to northwestern, who we ended up handling), and while not lastly, simply the last one I'll mention, argument by vehemence, which is simply the very Fox News/MSNBC ideas of the person who is the loudest and grips the most, realistic or no, is somehow right.

So while you may have legitimate grips towards Pelini and this sometimes incompetent, sometimes okay, sometimes fairly decent husker team, you lose in the only area it truly matters most, and that is record. 8-1 cannot realistically be argued against, despite how ugly (on one side of the ball mind you, pretty good games from both defense and ST) it may be.

• Fire 5