Why Can't Nebraska Perform Like "X" School?

Landlord

The most frustrating thing is, we know what this team is capable of. I mentioned earlier how we've had significant stretches of sloppy and undisciplined football for about every game for as long as we can remember. But, in the same games we also see pretty significant stretches of brilliance. Hell, just saturday, we had a blocked punt, a brilliant TD throw and catch on the run, and a long punt return for a near TD in the first 3 minutes. Same with the Michigan St game. We saw in that fourth quarter what we're capable. Let that set in for a sec.

So I think we've got the tools. The issue now is, if we get some things fixed, win this battle up in Madison and close the year out 11-1 and win the Big Ten CCG game, even as great as that would be, it could still very well be viewed as a should could kind of year if we get left out the playoffs cuz our body of work just isnt that impressive. Cuz we just didnt step on the throats and actually blow away Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, and Purdue away for 4 quarters, because we obviously didnt take seriously enough some pretty simple fundamentals. That's dissappointing that that could become a reality.

Your speaking as if the entire team has issues. There are certain players that need to get their sh#t together. Can't really blame anyone else for the snap exchanges between Tommy and both centers except for those three. His fumble under center was when Reeves was in. Probably a little mental with them now, but they didn't have those problems last year or before MSU, so we know it can be done. Most of our receivers, for the most part, are playing at a high level, especially their blocking. The only real gripe I have with this offense is some of the players on the starting line.

Tommy is not a game changer. Hes a game manager. He was exposed yesterday for that with Ameer out. We lost the heart and soul of our offense yesterday and that would hurt any team. I agree that Beck did Tommy no favors yesterday in his play calling at times.

Defense and special teams are playing at a high level for the last couple weeks.

• Fire 2

Sloppy football can strike any team at any time. This is true. That's not the point, though.

Under Pelini it "just so happens" to strike most of the time, year after year after year.

People are starting to consider it more of a trend than some zany, unlucky fluke.

"Most of the time". See, this is what drives me nuts, this mindless inanity just to prove a point. Pelini is one of only two coaches to win at least nine games each season since 08. Check out this post from another thread by Coach Power T and then reexamine "most of the time":

Statistically Nebraska's Offense and Defense points per game stats vs each game individually vs Opponents averages.

Without digging too deep into the depths of statistics of team offense and defense.

Nebraska Offense average ppg = 40

Opponents Defense average ppg given up. (I rounded up or down the decimal)

vs FAU = 35 (we scored 55, +20)

vs McNeese = 21 (we scored 31, +10)

vs Fresno = 37 (we scored 55, +18)

vs Miami = 22 (we scored 41, +19)

vs Illinois = 37 (we scored 45, +8)

vs Michigan St = 20 (we scored 22, +2)

vs Northwestern = 24 (we scored 38, +14)

vs Rutgers = 29 (we scored 42, +13)

vs Purdue = 32 (we scored 35, +3) despite playing horrible on that side of the ball we were still able to score more than their average on defense.

Total = +107 / 9 games = 12 ppg higher than defenses average giving up.

Opponents Offense ppg vs our Defense (We give up 20 ppg.)

vs FAU = 24 (they scored 7, -17)

vs McNeese = 38 (they scored 24, -14)

vs Fresno = 27 (they scored 19, -8)

vs Miami = 33 (they scored 31, -2)

vs Illinois = 27 (they scored 14, -13)

vs Michigan St = 46 (they scored 27, -19)

vs Northwestern = 19 (they scored 17, -2)

vs Rutgers = 24 (they scored 24, +/-0)

vs Purdue = 27 (they scored 14, -13)

Total = -88 / 9 = 10 ppg lower that offense average scoring.

We've consistently beat the averages. Granted I know each average changes each week. Interesting nonetheless if you are a stats guy, like me. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

Criticize Pelini all you want, but for God's sake keep the hyperbole out of it.

• Fire 4

Sloppy football can strike any team at any time. This is true. That's not the point, though.

Under Pelini it "just so happens" to strike most of the time, year after year after year.

People are starting to consider it more of a trend than some zany, unlucky fluke.

"Most of the time". See, this is what drives me nuts, this mindless inanity just to prove a point. Pelini is one of only two coaches to win at least nine games each season since 08. Check out this post from another thread by Coach Power T and then reexamine "most of the time":

Statistically Nebraska's Offense and Defense points per game stats vs each game individually vs Opponents averages.

Without digging too deep into the depths of statistics of team offense and defense.

Nebraska Offense average ppg = 40

Opponents Defense average ppg given up. (I rounded up or down the decimal)

vs FAU = 35 (we scored 55, +20)

vs McNeese = 21 (we scored 31, +10)

vs Fresno = 37 (we scored 55, +18)

vs Miami = 22 (we scored 41, +19)

vs Illinois = 37 (we scored 45, +8)

vs Michigan St = 20 (we scored 22, +2)

vs Northwestern = 24 (we scored 38, +14)

vs Rutgers = 29 (we scored 42, +13)

vs Purdue = 32 (we scored 35, +3) despite playing horrible on that side of the ball we were still able to score more than their average on defense.

Total = +107 / 9 games = 12 ppg higher than defenses average giving up.

Opponents Offense ppg vs our Defense (We give up 20 ppg.)

vs FAU = 24 (they scored 7, -17)

vs McNeese = 38 (they scored 24, -14)

vs Fresno = 27 (they scored 19, -8)

vs Miami = 33 (they scored 31, -2)

vs Illinois = 27 (they scored 14, -13)

vs Michigan St = 46 (they scored 27, -19)

vs Northwestern = 19 (they scored 17, -2)

vs Rutgers = 24 (they scored 24, +/-0)

vs Purdue = 27 (they scored 14, -13)

Total = -88 / 9 = 10 ppg lower that offense average scoring.

We've consistently beat the averages. Granted I know each average changes each week. Interesting nonetheless if you are a stats guy, like me. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

Criticize Pelini all you want, but for God's sake keep the hyperbole out of it.

points per game = 12th

Total offense yards = 9th

First Downs = tied for 15th

Rushing Yards per game= 8th

Average punt return = 17th

TDs from punt returns = tied for 3rd

Offense has almost one fewer turnover per game than last year.

Defense points per game = 16th

Oh...yea....and we are 8-1

Another fan claims Nebraska has only played one quarter of one game this year well?

The exaggeration and hyperbole is amazing.

Was it a sloppy win? yes, Do I wish things would get cleaned up on the offensive side? Yes.

But, good lord....

• Fire 1

Polo pooping up even more threads with his inability to understand definitions properly.

As I go through some of these threads it occurs to me that Nebraska lost today, and some are glad. If NU goes 11 and 1 these Nostradami will bitch about losing the one game.

Broken. Record.

I'm usually very pessimistic but if Nebraska goes 11-1 even I would be thrilled
With 0 wins against top 25

So we're like Alabama then.

If Bama goes 11-1 I bet they beat multiple top 25 teams actually

If 85% of our plays are sloppy, and we still win 49-10 or whatever, I'm okay with that. I understand how it can create a little uneasiness going into this final stretch of games, because maybe we won't have those explosive plays on offense.

It is crazy how it is working out. Against better teams it does not. I think Nebraska should be thankful of this move to the Big Ten instead of some of the complaining I hear about it. We are winning games. We play good defense and we have a really good special teams unit. If we want to be elite as far as the level of football we play, the offense would need to get better, but right now the level of football we play has us sitting at 8-1.

If 85% of our plays are sloppy, and we still win 49-10 or whatever, I'm okay with that. I understand how it can create a little uneasiness going into this final stretch of games, because maybe we won't have those explosive plays on offense.

thank for some reason. This is all im trying to say.

I understand uneasiness. I don't understand the all out fall apart emotional, we are horrible and going to lose most if not all of the rest of our games....that occurred from some fans this weekend after beating a team by 3 TDs.

At the risk of people thinking that I think the Huskers are destined for the playoffs of the championship game, I started thinking that this team reminded me a lot of Notre Dame in 2012 that went undefeated and ultimately got handled by Alabama. They didn't have 12 dominating games.

Beat Purdue by 3

Beat Michigan State by 17

Beat Michigan by 7

Beat Stanford by 7 in OT

Beat BYU by 3

Beat Oklahoma by 17

Beat Pittsburgh by 3 in OT

Beat Boston College by 15

Beat USC by 9

Blowout wins were

Navy by 40

Miami, FL by 38

Wake Forest by 38

I realize the quality overall of opponents is different, but the point I am making is that sometimes teams find a way to win. This could be this years Huskers for the most part. Being 8-1 feels a lot better than 7-2 or 6-3. It's been a great year to watch so far.

At the risk of people thinking that I think the Huskers are destined for the playoffs of the championship game, I started thinking that this team reminded me a lot of Notre Dame in 2012 that went undefeated and ultimately got handled by Alabama. They didn't have 12 dominating games.

Beat Purdue by 3

Beat Michigan by 7

Beat Stanford by 7 in OT

Beat BYU by 3

Beat Oklahoma by 17

Beat USC by 9

Blowout wins were

Navy by 40

Miami, FL by 38

Wake Forest by 38

I realize the quality overall of opponents is different, but the point I am making is that sometimes teams find a way to win. This could be this years Huskers for the most part. Being 8-1 feels a lot better than 7-2 or 6-3. It's been a great year to watch so far.

I don't think you're risking that ;) - The difference was they'd faced quality opponents and won. Oklahoma finished 15, Stanford 7, Michigan 24.

Our issue right now is the only quality opponent we've faced gave us a pretty good thumping. So these struggles are extremely unsettling to many of us knowing that we are going to eventually have to face another team ranked inside the top 50.

Great post Landlord.

And for all you complaining that were not the best, yeah your right. But you can't be the best always, unless Saban is coaching your team.

Even then, his teams aren't always the best, the stars have to align just right to be the best team. Or at least, you gotta be willing to break some rules and do some shady things to get the players to line up right. Which I'm not willing to do honestly.

That's just not true.

Saban is about as dirty as they come along with the rest of the SEC. It's been proven a number of times.

I really think you pull this sh#t on purpose Polo. You can't join a conversation without pooping on it one way or another. You seriously make this board unbearable at times.

Well we don't get to have it both ways.

Either it's possible to be a champion without cheating, and that excuse is moot, or Osborne cheated.

And Saban isn't as "dirty as they come". Gary Bartnett comes to mind. Or Butch Davis.

Yeah...............cause the college football landscape hasn't changed quite a bit since Osborne was the coach here huh? Get over the Osborne years, they're gone, try and move on. Never said Osborne was dirty, but we didn't have some of the best character guys on our teams from time to time.

Great post Landlord.

And for all you complaining that were not the best, yeah your right. But you can't be the best always, unless Saban is coaching your team.

Even then, his teams aren't always the best, the stars have to align just right to be the best team. Or at least, you gotta be willing to break some rules and do some shady things to get the players to line up right. Which I'm not willing to do honestly.

That's just not true.

Saban is about as dirty as they come along with the rest of the SEC. It's been proven a number of times.

I really think you pull this sh#t on purpose Polo. You can't join a conversation without pooping on it one way or another. You seriously make this board unbearable at times.

Well we don't get to have it both ways.

Either it's possible to be a champion without cheating, and that excuse is moot, or Osborne cheated.

And Saban isn't as "dirty as they come". Gary Bartnett comes to mind. Or Butch Davis.

Yeah...............cause the college football landscape hasn't changed quite a bit since Osborne was the coach here huh? Get over the Osborne years, they're gone, try and move on. Never said Osborne was dirty, but we didn't have some of the best character guys on our teams from time to time.

You need a balance of multiple personalities on a team IMO. I want some questionable characters that are ballers but I also want a group of hardworking blue collar boys too.

Beat Purdue by 3

Beat Michigan by 7

Beat Stanford by 7 in OT

Beat BYU by 3

Beat Oklahoma by 17

Beat USC by 9

Blowout wins were

Navy by 40

Miami, FL by 38

Wake Forest by 38

I don't think you're risking that ;) - The difference was they'd faced quality opponents and won. Oklahoma finished 15, Stanford 7, Michigan 24.

Our issue right now is the only quality opponent we've faced gave us a pretty good thumping. So these struggles are extremely unsettling to many of us knowing that we are going to eventually have to face another team ranked inside the top 50.

Miami was a quality opponent and we beat them, they are certainly top-50. Were we to win out and make the playoff, Wisconsin is ranked, Iowa could be ranked, MSU or OSU in the CCG will be ranked. If they finish well they could end up #7 (MSU), #15 (Wisky) and #24 (Iowa), or better.

Still a lot of "ifs" in those scenarios, but then so is NU winning out to make the playoffs.