Why Can't Nebraska Perform Like "X" School?

Landlord

Miami was a quality opponent and we beat them, they are certainly top-50. Were we to win out and make the playoff, Wisconsin is ranked, Iowa could be ranked, MSU or OSU in the CCG will be ranked. If they finish well they could end up #7 (MSU), #15 (Wisky) and #24 (Iowa), or better.

Still a lot of "ifs" in those scenarios, but then so is NU winning out to make the playoffs.

Point was by this time of the season ND had already beaten 3 good teams. We've only played one and got drubbed. Miami is looking a little better, but that's still a stretch to consider that a quality win "yet". If we win out, make the comparison - but at this point all indications point towards us continuing to struggle against top-50 teams.

Miami was a quality opponent and we beat them, they are certainly top-50. Were we to win out and make the playoff, Wisconsin is ranked, Iowa could be ranked, MSU or OSU in the CCG will be ranked. If they finish well they could end up #7 (MSU), #15 (Wisky) and #24 (Iowa), or better.

Still a lot of "ifs" in those scenarios, but then so is NU winning out to make the playoffs.

Point was by this time of the season ND had already beaten 3 good teams. We've only played one and got drubbed. Miami is looking a little better, but that's still a stretch to consider that a quality win "yet". If we win out, make the comparison - but at this point all indications point towards us continuing to struggle against top-50 teams.

We didn't get drubbed. 5 points and a chance to win at the end is not a drubbing.

• Fire 2

Sloppy football can strike any team at any time. This is true. That's not the point, though.

Under Pelini it "just so happens" to strike most of the time, year after year after year.

People are starting to consider it more of a trend than some zany, unlucky fluke.

"Most of the time". See, this is what drives me nuts, this mindless inanity just to prove a point. Pelini is one of only two coaches to win at least nine games each season since 08. Check out this post from another thread by Coach Power T and then reexamine "most of the time":

Statistically Nebraska's Offense and Defense points per game stats vs each game individually vs Opponents averages.

Without digging too deep into the depths of statistics of team offense and defense.

Nebraska Offense average ppg = 40

Opponents Defense average ppg given up. (I rounded up or down the decimal)

vs FAU = 35 (we scored 55, +20)

vs McNeese = 21 (we scored 31, +10)

vs Fresno = 37 (we scored 55, +18)

vs Miami = 22 (we scored 41, +19)

vs Illinois = 37 (we scored 45, +8)

vs Michigan St = 20 (we scored 22, +2)

vs Northwestern = 24 (we scored 38, +14)

vs Rutgers = 29 (we scored 42, +13)

vs Purdue = 32 (we scored 35, +3) despite playing horrible on that side of the ball we were still able to score more than their average on defense.

Total = +107 / 9 games = 12 ppg higher than defenses average giving up.

Opponents Offense ppg vs our Defense (We give up 20 ppg.)

vs FAU = 24 (they scored 7, -17)

vs McNeese = 38 (they scored 24, -14)

vs Fresno = 27 (they scored 19, -8)

vs Miami = 33 (they scored 31, -2)

vs Illinois = 27 (they scored 14, -13)

vs Michigan St = 46 (they scored 27, -19)

vs Northwestern = 19 (they scored 17, -2)

vs Rutgers = 24 (they scored 24, +/-0)

vs Purdue = 27 (they scored 14, -13)

Total = -88 / 9 = 10 ppg lower that offense average scoring.

We've consistently beat the averages. Granted I know each average changes each week. Interesting nonetheless if you are a stats guy, like me. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

Criticize Pelini all you want, but for God's sake keep the hyperbole out of it.

No hyperbole at all. We won big against Northwestern, Rutgers, and Purdue. That doesn't mean it wasn't sloppy (the players and coaches seem to agree with me here). Maybe we shouldn't care or talk about it when we play like that against the sisters of the poor, but that undiciplined brand of football continues to prevent us from winning championships.

Also, this is me seeing it both ways. I was the first to point out that winning big against this sort of team is preferable to scraping by with a 4th quarter comeback or even losing (which we made a habit of in 2011, 2012, 2013). Although I fully understand the concern from coaches, players, and fans alike.

We didn't get drubbed. 5 points and a chance to win at the end is not a drubbing.

That was a schoolyard beatdown if a lot of things hadn't gone our way towards the end. MSU made it look a lot closer than it actually was. We were outplayed in nearly every aspect of the game that day.

So how would you describe the MSU vs Oregon game?

And it wasn't a beat down. It was literally 3 big plays and a couple of field goals.

Remember when some were trying to brush off Miami as a team that would "struggle" to be bowl eligible after we beat them? Well, they're 6-3 (bowl eligible) now and have a bye week to prepare for Florida State before closing the year with two sub-.500 teams. They aren't a great team but the have some talent and could easily finish the year 8-4. An, by they way, they're #27 according to Sagarin this week, right in there with about half the Pac-12: #21-27 are Arizona State-USC-West Virginia-UCLA-Utah-Stanford-Miami

• Fire 2

Remember when some were trying to brush off Miami as a team that would "struggle" to be bowl eligible after we beat them? Well, they're 6-3 (bowl eligible) now and have a bye week to prepare for Florida State before closing the year with two sub-.500 teams. They aren't a great team but the have some talent and could easily finish the year 8-4. An, by they way, they're #27 according to Sagarin this week, right in there with about half the Pac-12: #21-27 are Arizona State-USC-West Virginia-UCLA-Utah-Stanford-Miami

That game is at home, too. I think FSU should be worried. Miami's defense has come a long way in the last few weeks. And Duke Johnson is legit.

That was a schoolyard beatdown if a lot of things hadn't gone our way towards the end. MSU made it look a lot closer than it actually was. We were outplayed in nearly every aspect of the game that day.

And it wasn't a beat down. It was literally 3 big plays and a couple of field goals.

I didn't watch it - but just looking at the box score it looks like MSU got owned for 3 quarters of football. So it's likely similar. Oregon was a much better team that day.

Sloppy football can strike any team at any time. This is true. That's not the point, though.

Under Pelini it "just so happens" to strike most of the time, year after year after year.

People are starting to consider it more of a trend than some zany, unlucky fluke.

"Most of the time". See, this is what drives me nuts, this mindless inanity just to prove a point. Pelini is one of only two coaches to win at least nine games each season since 08. Check out this post from another thread by Coach Power T and then reexamine "most of the time":

Statistically Nebraska's Offense and Defense points per game stats vs each game individually vs Opponents averages.

Without digging too deep into the depths of statistics of team offense and defense.

vs Purdue = 32 (we scored 35, +3) despite playing horrible on that side of the ball we were still able to score more than their average on defense.

We've consistently beat the averages. Granted I know each average changes each week. Interesting nonetheless if you are a stats guy, like me. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

No hyperbole at all. We won big against Northwestern, Rutgers, and Purdue. That doesn't mean it wasn't sloppy (the players and coaches seem to agree with me here). Maybe we shouldn't care or talk about it when we play like that against the sisters of the poor, but that undiciplined brand of football continues to prevent us from winning championships.

Also, this is me seeing it both ways. I was the first to point out that winning big against this sort of team is preferable to scraping by with a 4th quarter comeback or even losing (which we made a habit of in 2011, 2012, 2013). Although I fully understand the concern from coaches, players, and fans alike.

You dodged it. Your phrase "most of the time" was proven wrong by Coach Power T and my point that only Pelini and Saban have at least 9 wins since 08. Sloppy play striking most of the time is refuted. You can't justify your exaggeration by citing what most here agree with, that there are uncorrected problems.

Again, criticize the staff all you want, and I will probably agree with more than you would guess. But you diminish your efforts with silly declarations like "most of the time". Demonstrably not true.

You dodged it. Your phrase "most of the time" was proven wrong by Coach Power T and my point that only Pelini and Saban have at least 9 wins since 08. Sloppy play striking most of the time is refuted. You can't justify your exaggeration by citing what most here agree with, that there are uncorrected problems.

Again, criticize the staff all you want, and I will probably agree with more than you would guess. But you diminish your efforts with silly declarations like "most of the time". Demonstrably not true.

I don't think you know what refuted means. I think we were pretty sloppy in 5 of our 9 games this year. That's most of the time. Winning 9 games has literally nothing to do with my statement. If I said we lost most of the time, then you'd be onto something. I didn't - you're not.

I didn't watch it - but just looking at the box score it looks like MSU got owned for 3 quarters of football. So it's likely similar. Oregon was a much better team that day.

Maybe you should go back and watch that game

I don't think you know what refuted means. I think we were pretty sloppy in 5 of our 9 games this year. That's most of the time. Winning 9 games has literally nothing to do with my statement.

I'm interested in knowing what 5 games we played that sloppy in.

FAU = No...everyone was proclaiming we are winning the world.

McNeese State = Yep

Miami = Nope...we went in and played very well against a very talented team.

Fresno = No, we went out after a big emotional win and took care of business.

Illinois = Nope, we were up 31-14 at half. Our defense shuts them down second half. We work in many back ups. Ameer gets over 200 yards with not even getting the majority of carries.

MSU = Yep....for three quarters.

Northwestern = Naaa....could have been a little crispier but we were playing on the road in the Big Ten and beat the team by 3 TDs.

Rutgers = Ameer racks up stats that leaves 100% of the rest of the world jealous. We win by 3 scores. Only one Int. A few plays could have been crisper. But, all in all, we did what we were supposed to do.

Purdue = yep

So, my count is three games we played sloppy. four games were good. Two were good but could have been better.

Now, I think after absolutely every one of these games, we have had fans come on here and claim we are horrible and there is no way we will ever end with a decent record. We obviously suck.

Meanwhile, our defense is putting together a very good year and our offense is top 15 in a lot of major categories including scoring (most important). Heck, we even had fans on here this weekend that thought we should kick Armstrong off the team. WTF????

Are there things that I wish were fixed? Sure. But, to say "most games" we played sloppy is an exaggeration.

• Fire 1

Michigan State had that game in the bag. However, they did with Oregon the exact same thing they did when they played us. They completely let Oregon back into that game which is why they lost. We just ran out of time before we beat them. Michigan State is missing the killer instinct. It could very well be what keeps them out of the playoff this year. They're a very good team, but they need to go for the kill when they have their foot on their opponents throat.

The drops, fumbles, bad snaps, miscommunications and general miscues that hurt us in East Lansing have followed us since. Luckily we can get away with that against the likes of Northwestern, Purdue, and that team from New Jerzry, but there's legitimate concern it will hurt us going forward unless corrected. Even Bo Freakin' Pelini agrees. Maybe he's just exaggerating to criticize himself, or maybe it's a legitimate concern.

The drops, fumbles, bad snaps, miscommunications and general miscues that hurt us in East Lansing have followed us since. Luckily we can get away with that against the likes of Northwestern, Purdue, and that team from New Jerzry, but there's legitimate concern it will hurt us going forward unless corrected. Even Bo Freakin' Pelini agrees. Maybe he's just exaggerating to criticize himself, or maybe it's a legitimate concern.

Myself,I just wish Bo Pelini wasn't such a hater with a troll agenda when he says things like that.

• Fire 2