Abdullah and the knee

IMHO Ameer should have been on the sideline watching Cross pound it up the middle for four downs in a row instead of being in the middle of it getting hurt. The dude's a tank (Cross) - I think we need to put him in there every time we need 1-2 yards. Line up, show what we're doing, hell just tell them what we're doing, and do it. Good ole Husker smash mouth football. No reason to have Ameer in there in those scenarios.

I don't recall anybody complaining about Abdullah's four 1-yard TD runs a couple weeks ago against Northwestern. Abudllah was hurt when a lineman fell on him. It had nothing to do with the playcall or down or field position. It's football. Injuries happen.

That's the point. Cross wouldn't have taken 4 attempts either time. 1, maybe 2, and he's in. Ameer is an OUTSTANDING player, I'm not trying to take anything away from him. Cross is listed at 230, Abdullah at 195. It's just a matter of physics in short yardage scenarios. ....no difference than others have pointed out regarding having Imani being put into scenarios like speed plays on the edge. And yeah, I was complaining about it last week and every other time it's 3rd or 4th and short. Just ask the poor people who have to watch a game with me. :)

IMHO Ameer should have been on the sideline watching Cross pound it up the middle for four downs in a row instead of being in the middle of it getting hurt. The dude's a tank (Cross) - I think we need to put him in there every time we need 1-2 yards. Line up, show what we're doing, hell just tell them what we're doing, and do it. Good ole Husker smash mouth football. No reason to have Ameer in there in those scenarios.

I'm 100% in agreement here although to elaborate I would say we line up I formation, fullback lead blocker or Cross at Fullback and Ameer or Newby behind him. Then give the ball to the FB or RB. Under center, smash mouth football. Funny how we call it smash mouth though, to me, that's just plain football. The game has changed.

Watching other teams this weekend though, I drew the conclusion that we don't stack up on the offensive line. A lot of teams do a way better job up front than Nebraska does. Not sure if it's a talent, scheme or coaching issue, but it's just my thought.

You mean teams will actually have 7 to block 7? Most teams do this, but NU. Baffling. Not being a smart a$$. I agree with you. We seem to know teams are stacking the box and block 7 with 5 and have 3-4 guys running routes.

I'd like to just try a "jumbo" set with 2 TE's to block (or chip and release into the middle) and pound it for a series or two to see what would happen. Is Carter back yet?

I don't recall anybody complaining about Abdullah's four 1-yard TD runs a couple weeks ago against Northwestern. Abudllah was hurt when a lineman fell on him. It had nothing to do with the playcall or down or field position. It's football. Injuries happen.

That's the point. Cross wouldn't have taken 4 attempts either time. 1, maybe 2, and he's in. Ameer is an OUTSTANDING player, I'm not trying to take anything away from him. Cross is listed at 230, Abdullah at 195. It's just a matter of physics in short yardage scenarios. ....no difference than others have pointed out regarding having Imani being put into scenarios like speed plays on the edge. And yeah, I was complaining about it last week and every other time it's 3rd or 4th and short. Just ask the poor people who have to watch a game with me. :)

We did do that last year with Cross coming in for short-yardage situations. I agree with lo country that this year the staff is trying to get Abdullah the TDs to help his Heisman cause, which I don't mind either. Abdullah rarely takes a direct hit, and he was only hurt because of a fluke.

If it's any consolation, now that Abdullah's Heisman chances seem to be done, I suspect we'll see Imani back in for the short yardage runs.

Watching other teams this weekend though, I drew the conclusion that we don't stack up on the offensive line. A lot of teams do a way better job up front than Nebraska does. Not sure if it's a talent, scheme or coaching issue, but it's just my thought.

Totally agree with you here. I was considering posting it somewhere, but the only difference between Nebraska and the level of football played by MSU and tOSU is the offensive line play. Those teams can consistently block and get a push against top defenses.

I'm not sure what it is either, but I don't really think it's a lack of talent. I don't think you necessarily need to have high caliber recruits on the line, but you do need to develop those guys so that they are playing their best ball the last 2 years of their careers. Something that hasn't really been done here save one or two guys.

Totally agree with you here. I was considering posting it somewhere, but the only difference between Nebraska and the level of football played by MSU and tOSU is the offensive line play. Those teams can consistently block and get a push against top defenses.

I'm not sure what it is either, but I don't really think it's a lack of talent. I don't think you necessarily need to have high caliber recruits on the line, but you do need to develop those guys so that they are playing their best ball the last 2 years of their careers. Something that hasn't really been done here save one or two guys.

Decided to rematch some Purdue game film tonight. Getting tired and bored part of the way through the first, but I noticed already...

Our line does not do well moving the line of scrimmage. I get the feeling we get a large majority of our yards exploiting numbers games using AAs shiftiness. We don't so much drive defenders back out of the way as much as getting a guy between our ball carrier and them and allowing AA to make them miss by dodging and weaving through gaps.

I realize that's how a majority of run blocking works, but it sure would be nice to see a pancake or two. Saw none of those. Particularly, the interior of Cotton-Pelini-Moudy I saw got zero push run blocking. Cotton and Pelini particularly struggled and often wound up in stalemates rather than getting good drive.

I don't know the cause, be it teaching or talent or otherwise, but I know the problem is plain as day.

Trying to think about this from all possible angles.

I just don't see him being 100%. Not only does the knee have to heal and feel better, but then he needs time getting comfortable and confidence with all his jumping and cutting.

JT Barrett suffered a sprained mcl last week during the Penn State game. He looked just fine last night. Depends on the level of severity for Ameer, but from everything that has come out it was not that bad and he was asking to come back in.

Didn't know that, makes me feel a little better. Ameer just makes those cuts that seem like they put a lot of pressure on those knees

Me too, I didn't know that. Didn't watch MSU/tOSU game. Barrett Stats .... Rushing: 14 carries; 86 yards. Passing: 16-26-3-0; 300 yards. Braxton who?

Decided to rematch some Purdue game

Who won?

beck just seems stuck in neutral.........

Stuck in neutral....with the #9 rushing offense in the country?

Averaging 6 yards a carry?

Didn't you know?

Throwing the ball 20 times is way to many attempts. Run the ball.

We run the ball too much up the middle, it's predictable.

We need counters/draws/screens/diamond/bootlegs/annexationofpuertorico.

We need a vertical/downfield passing game with a QB that isn't accurate.

Our offense is too complex, we need to simplify.

Just give the ball to Ameer.

Unless its the goal line, then give it to a backup.

Don't run the backups like ameer. Run it down the middle.

Why are we not giving it to Ameer on 3 straight touches.

Ameer can't run it 30 times a game, we need Tommy to run it 15 times.

Why take the ball out of the hands of your best player, run the ball with Ameer.

Did that about cover it?

• Fire 2

If the Vegas insiders theory is to be believed the fact the game opens with them favored by 4 and has moved to 6 doesn't bode well for his health.

Will be interesting to see what that line does the rest of the week, if he will really be 100% I imagine it would start to shrink

The movement on the line has absolutely zero to do with his health. If the line came out at 4 then moved to 6, that means more gamblers were putting money on Wisconsin. That is it. It has nothing to do with experts picking anything.

Now, what it may mean is what the public's opinion of our chances if his knee isn't healthy.

Big difference.

If the Vegas insiders theory is to be believed the fact the game opens with them favored by 4 and has moved to 6 doesn't bode well for his health.

Will be interesting to see what that line does the rest of the week, if he will really be 100% I imagine it would start to shrink

The movement on the line has absolutely zero to do with his health. If the line came out at 4 then moved to 6, that means more gamblers were putting money on Wisconsin. That is it. It has nothing to do with experts picking anything.

Now, what it may mean is what the public's opinion of our chances if his knee isn't healthy.

Big difference.

And would AA's health have anything to do with more people picking Wisconsin? Therefore moving the line...

Big difference.

And would AA's health have anything to do with more people picking Wisconsin? Therefore moving the line...

How many people in the world really know the facts about how Ameer's knee is doing?

Now, if you are talking about the PERCEPTION of his health, then you are right. The public has very limited information on this and gamblers are talking that limited information into account. That may move the line.

However, that perception has absolutely nothing to do with reality for which very very few people actually know.

Big difference.

How many people in the world really know the facts about how Ameer's knee is doing?

Now, if you are talking about the PERCEPTION of his health, then you are right. The public has very limited information on this and gamblers are talking that limited information into account. That may move the line.

However, that perception has absolutely nothing to do with reality for which very very few people actually know.

Guess I should tell you I'm a conspiracy theorist when it comes to Vegas finding out info that most people do not have. The Illinois game thus year was a perfect example of it!