This guy gets "it" when it comes to what NU needs on O.......

lo country

Scott Frost is exactly what we have now. Good to great coordinator, no experience running a program, no experience of being in charge of recruiting, fiery combative personality. Do we really want to go that route again.

Give me a head coach that has done the job, maybe even one in his final coaching days. Bring in Frost as the OC and top DC that has a history of winning big games, Build the program, establish head coaching lines, select from the two who the next head coach will be.

Being a head coach at Nebraska is a lot different than being a successful coordinator. Way more hats to wear, this is what has killed Bo, not being able to do everything, not really qualified to be in the position. Too much stress on the outlier things for him to oversee the whole project, the big picture so to speak.

Do we really want to try another experiment with Scott Frost. No thanks.

Hire Tressel, let him groom someone to be his successor, I think that was Tom's plan for Grobe and Watson.

We need someone that knows the job, that has done it at a level comparable to Nebraska. Anything less we are short changing ourselves and working only on hope and luck.

The problem with a Frost hire for me is this. Let's say he is the HC here next year and after a similar run as BO gets his walking papers, goes to a team like Utah or Colorado and has huge success. Could we hire him back. Would be come back. Sometimes guys need to fail in these situations before they get it right. I'd just as soon see him go somewhere and fail/succeed before he comes here. To me it's a one shot deal here with Scott and I'd like him to be completely prepared before he comes here. Also, and I know he doesn't seem like the type of person to shy away from a challenge but do you think that Scott himself thinks he's ready to take the reigns of his alma mater? Added expectations could be suffocating.

The problem with a Frost hire for me is this. Let's say he is the HC here next year and after a similar run as BO gets his walking papers, goes to a team like Utah or Colorado and has huge success. Could we hire him back. Would be come back. Sometimes guys need to fail in these situations before they get it right. I'd just as soon see him go somewhere and fail/succeed before he comes here. To me it's a one shot deal here with Scott and I'd like him to be completely prepared before he comes here. Also, and I know he doesn't seem like the type of person to shy away from a challenge but do you think that Scott himself thinks he's ready to take the reigns of his alma mater? Added expectations could be suffocating.

It's a gamble. If you hold out that hope you risk him deciding he wants to stay put at that school for good.

Scott Frost is exactly what we have now. Good to great coordinator, no experience running a program, no experience of being in charge of recruiting, fiery combative personality. Do we really want to go that route again.

Give me a head coach that has done the job, maybe even one in his final coaching days. Bring in Frost as the OC and top DC that has a history of winning big games, Build the program, establish head coaching lines, select from the two who the next head coach will be.

The greatest coach in the history of our program was a coordinator that fit all of those same categories except for the combative personality. There are dozens of great coordinators without that experience that have gone on to become great.

Experience is no guarantee of anything. Why are people so hard on someone that has done the job. Bo Pelini has done the job - you think any school would hire him because he is experienced as a head coach?

In Frost's defense, we're talking about Lawrence Phillips here. A guy who tried to run people over using a car. Also, it was Frost who restrained LeGarrett Blount when Blount tried to fight the crowd at Boise State.

What would have rather him run people over with?

I'd rather he didn't run anybody over. My point is the man is nuts. Big, violent, unpredictable and nuts is tough to deal with.

In Frost's defense, we're talking about Lawrence Phillips here. A guy who tried to run people over using a car. Also, it was Frost who restrained LeGarrett Blount when Blount tried to fight the crowd at Boise State.

What would have rather him run people over with?

His body on a football field? Do some former players dislike Frost because they feel he holds some responsibility in the LP issue? LP was a ticking time bomb, but do they think Frost set the timer to 0:00?

EDIT: This has nothing to do with Frost being a good coach or not. Just curiosity.

Much smaller men with more integrity do SOMETHING when they see a woman getting the sh#t beat out of her, even when the assailant isn't a teammate and the woman isn't a girlfriend.

The LeGarret Blount example doesn't match up for a lot of reasons.

Honestly don't know how the Lawrence Phillips scenario was regarded by teammates, but when rumors abound that ex-Huskers don't welcome the idea of Scott Frost returning to Nebraska you tend to revist these episodes.

As an interesting point I'd like to make; Does coaching experience matter?

If no, why not hire a relatively unknown but talented and knowledgeable coach, even of said coach has little experience at the college level? Someone young with fresh new ideas and a passion for fundamentals and team building? For a coordinator or position coach, of course, with an experienced CEO type head coach (like Moglia...) This coach, given the chance to coach at a high level with high expectations may succeed, or may not, but would bring passion and dedication because he knows that this is his breakout chance. Either way, due to his inexperience, his salary wouldn't have to be a great amount. And who knows, you might find a gem like Gus Malzahn who went from a head coaching position at a High School (though his teams were admittantly dominant) to the OC of Arkansas. He consistantly improved offenses wherever he went, taking Tulsa to the top of the nation in most offensive categories. Under an experienced head coach to spearhead recruiting and to keep the program within NCAA rules, a gem like that could prove to be a major boon to our team. (Though secretly, I'd try to apply for a coaching position despite my own lack of experience as a coach... I understand techniques and schemes and adjustments, but I've never put them to use IRL)

On the other hand, if experience does matter, the AD should search for successful head coaches of non power 5 schools or from FCS schools for either head coach or coordinator positions. This way, there would be solid data on that coach, on what kind of system he runs, and what challenges he has faced and hopefully overcome. You would have a pretty good idea of what you're getting.

If the decision were up to me, if I was the AD, I would clean house wholesale with possibly the exception of Ron Brown and Charlton Warren, and force the rest to have to re apply if they want to keep their positions. I would send out feelers to successful head coaches like Tressel or Moglia, or othere who have run good programs in non power 5 or FCS schools. Then, I would find several high school programs from perennial powerhouses in populous states like Florida, California, or Texas. Find one who has a history of developing excellent QBs and WRs and make him a position coach for those groups. Same for OL/TE. And find a guy at a High School or FCS program who leads a consistantly over achieving and BALANCED offense and ask him to become the OC. Next, find an experienced and successful DC, one who would get along well with the new HC, and bring him in to run the D. Find other successfull High School coaches who, year after year, produce excellent athletes at specific positions, and bring them in as position coaches.

Now, this would have a good balance of experienced coaches who know what to expect and how to run a program at the level that Nebraska is/wants to be, as well has having young, passionate coaches who aren't afraid to change things up, to try new schemes and training techniques, and who aren't so set in their ways that they can't change their "scheme" if it isn't working.

Just my $.02.

Scott would be fine if you're convinced an Oregon copycat offense is the way to go.

But we had a formula that worked for 40 years. Wisconson just used that formula to beat the piss out of us . . . again. We've been flopping around like a fish out of water since we abandoned what made us great. Bring back smashmouth football.

• Fire 3

Scott would be fine if you're convinced an Oregon copycat offense is the way to go.

But we had a formula that worked for 40 years. Wisconson just used that formula to beat the piss out of us . . . again. We've been flopping around like a fish out of water since we abandoned what made us great. Bring back smashmouth football.

This^^^

Personally I don't want an Oregon offense or west coast or whate'er the hell sling the ball around BS works for many teams. I want to be Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford.....I want to get back to lining up and shove the ball down somebody's f'ing throat. And I want them to know exactly what we're going to do to them and they still can't stop it. If we can't get back to that, well, I'll never be fully invested again. Billy C. screwed that up and this current, be multiple, take what they give us BS, screw that. We need to take what we want and leave the f'ing bodies in our wake.

This^^^

Personally I don't want an Oregon offense or west coast or whate'er the hell sling the ball around BS works for many teams. I want to be Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford.....I want to get back to lining up and shove the ball down somebody's f'ing throat. And I want them to know exactly what we're going to do to them and they still can't stop it. If we can't get back to that, well, I'll never be fully invested again. Billy C. screwed that up and this current, be multiple, take what they give us BS, screw that. We need to take what we want and leave the f'ing bodies in our wake.

i'd be happy just to utilize tight ends more.

This^^^

IIRC, Bo likes the spread as its so hard to defend. Same with Beck's mind blowing explanation of "stretching" out the D to open it up.......Wisky kicked the piss out of us with good old fashion power football with some great blocking schemes. Sounds like a team I watched before.......

I liked Scotts comments. Take the physicality of and toughness coupled with the uptempo of oregon. Power doesn't have to be slow.....IIRC, one game last year we ran all the way down the field in a "hurry up". The OL commented it was great as they "just lined up" and ran.....

Get great at a system and run it in your sleep. A$$ kicking is an attitude that we haven't played with in 14 years.....None. Guys don't have the killer instinct because the coaches don't....Ironically, in the post game presser, Bo said the kids started playing "not to win, but to not lose". I have said that about Bo since day one. No killer instinct, calling the dogs off, allowing teams to get back into games etc.......Attitude. Its contagious