If you want change--vote with your feet, don't go to the Minnesota game

ok, I get it. the team isn't better 7 years later.

so, boycott the game of a 8-2 team because you are pissed?

I'm not saying you have to go. don't go if you don't want to... but for anyone to suggest that what we need is for fans to not show up so we can get the change we deserve seem premature to me.

Note--I'm not saying keep bo no matter what. I'm saying that many of these posts are pre-mature.

Let's say the "fire him now...we know what we are getting" side is right. What bonus do you get for saying it now? why not let the season play out. Maybe you even let an additional season play out? another 10-4 season? Is that the worst thing that can happen to Nebraska football?

Let's say that camp is wrong and this staff needs a little more time. What are you possibly giving up to make this change happen a little sooner? Could this staff get better? Does a coordinator change or an emphasis on a different part of the game (O-Line) reap rewards?

Depends, if that 10-4 season includes another blowout loss to Wisconsin on the national stage then yes I do think it's the worst thing. Because it shows we aren't getting better, and again we are treading water. If that 10-4 season includes 4 close losses where we are competitive and don't get blown up for 600 yards it'll show some kind of progress.

There are a hell of a lot of passionate Nebraska fans that have been spooled up by the most recent debacle in Madison that want change but feel as though they have a voice in the matter. As much as it pains me as a die hard Nebraska fan, the only way change happens is if Nebraska fans make a statement by not going to our next home game against Minnesota.

If there are lots of empty seats come Saturday on national television, that's going to be the only way your voice gets heard and amplified. Michigan, for all their deserved grief and incompetence, figured this out, and they jettisoned an AD and will soon jettison their coach as a result. Nebraska with a half-empty (or even 1/3rd empty) Memorial Stadium would make a resounding statement that would not be ignored by the media, and would force our AD to not only look at change (if he isn't already), but have a dialog with the fanbase to communicate that the status quo is not acceptable.

Now, there are concerns with doing this:

• Is it fair to the kids to do this on their Senior Day? No, and fans that feel bad about this need to reach out by correspondence via the AD office to those seniors so you can personally let them know that you appreciate their efforts and that this wasn't anything to do with them, but voicing your concern with the coaching staff and the direction of the program.
  • Would this impact the sellout streak? Likely not, since most of the tickets have already been sold, and the NU AD likely has a contingency plan to unload tickets in a manner to maintain said sellout streak.
  • Is this going to negate the influence that our big boosters have? No, but it does steer their influence and the discussion--as much money as these boosters contribute, if Nebraska starts looking as though it's losing the fanbase, that will impact merchandising, recruiting, and Nebraska's overall cache (or what's left of it) in college football. Boosters may not want to make a change, but they'll be forced to the table to discuss. It's not unlike the scene in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", where the mother describes to her daughter that while her husband may be the head of the family, she is the neck and directs where the head is looking.
  • Am I asking for Bo to be terminated? No, unless the AD feels it necessary. I do feel that each position coach and coordinator needs to be evaluated, as well as team philosophies and ancillary parts that support our football team, such as our sports psychology department and strength and conditioning instructors.

Now, granted, it's sacrilege to say 'don't go to a Nebraska game'. But folks, Nebraskans in this state built this program by pitching in, and Nebraska is an example of how a small state of 2.5 million can all rally around a common goal and come out with something beautiful. This is a program that our forefathers built with personal donation, big or small, with each purchase of a hat, a shirt, a pennant, or some other Nebraska Cornhusker-themed tchotchke.

Fans still have a voice, and we need to use it by keeping it home on Saturday.

You must be one of those "fair weather" guys Bo was talking about. I will take your tickets if you would like to give them up.

Many of you don't give the credit the student-athletes deserve in terms of intelligence and overall awareness. Guys like Abdullah have been heavily praised throughout much of their careers. They don't have a full house for their last game...are they going to cry about it? Doubtful. They are all fully aware of the situation and would be able to understand the intent of those who stayed home. To use the "I gotta do it FOR THE KIDS!!!" excuse when you've already spent 50 bucks on a ticket or don't have anything else to do on Saturday afternoon is a bit weak.

• Fire 1

I get what the OP is trying to say here, but I don't necessarily believe it's possible for most Husker fans.

The love for this program goes deep and the connections are far reaching. If we all were turning out at Memorial because the team won a lot and it was fun to watch those wins, then yes, by all means, don't go. But a lot of us go to games or watch them or listen to them because we are part of a family, extended family and group of friends that love and have always loved the Huskers. Season ticket holders are frequently found to be the second or third generation of fans to have gone to games and lots of us have stories of family or friends that went to NU games pre Devaney.

Going to Memorial is a social experience. You get to be around your fellow Nebraska fans. You get to feel the tradition that's long been established by the program and by the people who support it. Maybe going to the stadium also serves as a way to remember your departed relatives who used to make that same trek with you.

Nebraska may lose. And none of us like it. I have sworn before that I had it with their losing and blah, blah, blah. Next season comes up, and I am ready to go. And I am hoping for wins.

Saturday is the last home game. It's the last chance to see the Huskers play in Memorial until September, 2015. That's about 285 days from Saturday.

Miss that chance. NOT ON YOUR FREAKING LIFE.

Bo is the coach now. He won't be the coach forever.

I was a fan before Bo and I will be a fan after.

I am a fan forever. Even if it seems like logic would dictate that I give up.

GBR! GBR!

• Fire 5

ok, I get it. the team isn't better 7 years later.

so, boycott the game of a 8-2 team because you are pissed?

I'm not saying you have to go. don't go if you don't want to... but for anyone to suggest that what we need is for fans to not show up so we can get the change we deserve seem premature to me.

Note--I'm not saying keep bo no matter what. I'm saying that many of these posts are pre-mature.

Let's say the "fire him now...we know what we are getting" side is right. What bonus do you get for saying it now? why not let the season play out. Maybe you even let an additional season play out? another 10-4 season? Is that the worst thing that can happen to Nebraska football?

Let's say that camp is wrong and this staff needs a little more time. What are you possibly giving up to make this change happen a little sooner? Could this staff get better? Does a coordinator change or an emphasis on a different part of the game (O-Line) reap rewards?

It's definitely a decision that fans need to make. I'm not a season ticket holder, and I haven't been to a game in quite some time. However....(and this will sound heartless and harsh)....

The head football coach gets paid over three million dollars a year to win football games. The assistants get paid whatever they are to assist the head football coach in winning games.

Has Bo won plenty of games since he's been here? Yep. Has he won enough games to satiate the paying fans? As I don't own season tickets, I can't answer that for them. But if I were a season ticket holder, I wouldn't go. And it's not an indictment on (or of) the players, either. Let me qualify my statement....

Most players have a full ride scholarship from the university. Those that don't have to earn a scholarship. They still all have to go to class, and for the scholarship athletes, they play football. However, a full ride scholarship isn't even peanuts compared to all of the money and benefits that a head coach and assistant coaches receive.

Ameer Abdullah will hopefully, Lord willing, grow into old age. His back will have issues. His knees and other joints will have issues. He's not paid for that. He won't see a dime of the money that the University of Nebraska earned off his likeness. He plays for the love of the game, and is playing to get his degree. Others have different reasons, but they all play because they love the game.

Coaches get into coaching for a multitude of different reasons, but the main reason is the same as the players - they love to be around the game. They are paid to do this, people. Millions and millions of dollars. And they've earned the right to do so - they've all paid their dues. Bo is no different. He had to come the hard way up, just like they all did.

Coaches also understand....if you're being paid to coach, there is an expectation of WINNING that is placed on you, no matter where you go. Some have higher expectations than others. And the men that coach this sport at the highest of levels understand that it is, after all, a multi-billion dollar business....and each fan that purchases a ticket is buying a share in that business. And in business, if you don't like what you purchased, you have the right to not purchase it again. That's a fan's prerogative.

Again, if a fan isn't satisfied with results on the field, they can speak out by not supporting said business. This speaks volumes more than anything else, and unfortunately, because of the way the coaching ranks are (old boys' network), that's the only voice a fan has at times. Nobody is asking the players to go above and beyond what they can do on the field. This football team is a very talented group of young men. They need leadership that can help them reach and understand the potential that they have. And if the fans feel like not going to the games, they don't have to.

So please, sir/maam - stop indicating that if a person who pays their good, hard earned money to go see a football game doesn't go - they're not supporting the kids on the field. This just isn't the case, and it's a very old, and wasted argument.

Just one man's honest opinion.

• Fire 6

This is why it's so tough for me if I was a ticket holder. Senior day. Guys like Ameer deserve to have a full stadium. I just feel there would be better ways to make a statement. We should be able to trust the folks in charge enough to make the right decisions without having to ruin what is probably the last great thing we have, and that is the perception of a loyal fanbase, win lose rain or shine.

What guys like Ameer deserved was a better leader so his last games weren't Minnesota and whomever our bowl opponent is on December 28th

Bo doesnt have control over the BigTen schedule.

And that doesnt excuse the fact that guys like Ameer who has done everything right deserves a full house. I guess what I'm trying to say is it really shouldnt be taken out on the players. Like you said, he's deserved a better leader. Well, he deserves to be applauded for doing everything he could with what he's had.

This is why it's so tough for me if I was a ticket holder. Senior day. Guys like Ameer deserve to have a full stadium. I just feel there would be better ways to make a statement. We should be able to trust the folks in charge enough to make the right decisions without having to ruin what is probably the last great thing we have, and that is the perception of a loyal fanbase, win lose rain or shine.

What guys like Ameer deserved was a better leader so his last games weren't Minnesota and whomever our bowl opponent is on December 28th

hey, whoa! don't forget, ameer has the chance to play for the heroes trophy. that's why players like him come to nebraska.

I get what the OP is trying to say here, but I don't necessarily believe it's possible for most Husker fans.

The love for this program goes deep and the connections are far reaching. If we all were turning out at Memorial because the team won a lot and it was fun to watch those wins, then yes, by all means, don't go. But a lot of us go to games or watch them or listen to them because we are part of a family, extended family and group of friends that love and have always loved the Huskers. Season ticket holders are frequently found to be the second or third generation of fans to have gone to games and lots of us have stories of family or friends that went to NU games pre Devaney.

Going to Memorial is a social experience. You get to be around your fellow Nebraska fans. You get to feel the tradition that's long been established by the program and by the people who support it. Maybe going to the stadium also serves as a way to remember your departed relatives who used to make that same trek with you.

Nebraska may lose. And none of us like it. I have sworn before that I had it with their losing and blah, blah, blah. Next season comes up, and I am ready to go. And I am hoping for wins.

Saturday is the last home game. It's the last chance to see the Huskers play in Memorial until September, 2015. That's about 285 days from Saturday.

GBR! GBR!

I am right there with you!!!!

And that doesnt excuse the fact that guys like Ameer who has done everything right deserves a full house. I guess what I'm trying to say is it really shouldnt be taken out on the players. Like you said, he's deserved a better leader. Well, he deserves to be applauded for doing everything he could with what he's had.

Again, explain to me how a paying fan not going to the game is NOT supporting Ameer?

If I'm not mistaken (and someone please correct me if wrong), box receipts don't pay player scholarships at UNL, right? Doesn't that come from endowment money?

Again, explain to me how a paying fan not going to the game is NOT supporting Ameer?

If I'm not mistaken (and someone please correct me if wrong), box receipts don't pay player scholarships at UNL, right? Doesn't that come from endowment money?

Lets assume you had a daughter and she had a dance recital coming up. Would you go to it?

Lets assume you had a daughter and she had a dance recital coming up. Would you go to it?

bo's coaching dance recitals now?

• Fire 2

GBR! GBR!

I am right there with you!!!!

Yup. tmfr15 has it right. +1.