Kenny Bell Speaks Up

Also, I don't often get all scriptural on here, but Kenny's comments reminded me of this little chestnut:

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

1 Corinthians. That's in the Bible.

Kenny can go ahead and become that man and stop reasoning like a child any time now. And mothball his twitter account until then.

Knapp remembers the quote, because he was there!

Great article! Kenny Bell has been my favorite Husker for a couple of years now. He continues to be. :lol:

As far as the twitter stuff interview comments go (and this thread), what do fans want of Kenny Bell and the rest of the team? Do they want grumbling and disloyalty? Would that help the situation any?

edit: Interview comments, not twitter stuff. Thanks Stumpy. (He's still my favorite Husker. lol)

I don't want grumbling and disloyalty. In fact I want him sticking up for his coach. But this isn't the way to do it. I know the proper behavior isn't being modeled by Pelini but, it would be nice if he could support his coach and team mates without villianizing the fans and embracing the "us vs them" culture that Bo promotes. I guess the total detachment from reality is what bugs me the most with the Kenny & Bo vs the fans issue. Nobody in that locker room seems to realize that what happened on the field Saturday, and many previous times, is not acceptable. Losing is one thing, most of us can deal with that fine but, the total ineptitude and then the lack of accepting any responsibility or evenacting like there might be a solution.......it boggles my mind that they can't understand the criticism.

Great article! Kenny Bell has been my favorite Husker for a couple of years now. He continues to be. :lol:

As far as the twitter stuff interview comments go (and this thread), what do fans want of Kenny Bell and the rest of the team? Do they want grumbling and disloyalty? Would that help the situation any?

edit: Interview comments, not twitter stuff. Thanks Stumpy. (He's still my favorite Husker. lol)

I don't want grumbling and disloyalty. In fact I want him sticking up for his coach. But this isn't the way to do it. I know the proper behavior isn't being modeled by Pelini but, it would be nice if he could support his coach and team mates without villianizing the fans and embracing the "us vs them" culture that Bo promotes. I guess the total detachment from reality is what bugs me the most with the Kenny & Bo vs the fans issue. Nobody in that locker room seems to realize that what happened on the field Saturday, and many previous times, is not acceptable. Losing is one thing, most of us can deal with that fine but, the total ineptitude and then the lack of accepting any responsibility or evenacting like there might be a solution.......it boggles my mind that they can't understand the criticism.

yeah. he pretty much said, "#9 wins, live with it."

I'm upset about Saturday's game. Or, I should say. I was upset..for about an hour. Maybe even into Sunday morning. But it is over for me now. Not my fanship for the Huskers. That will NEVER be over.

But what upsets me, or perhaps I should say disturbs me deeply, is that so many, adult men and/or women are so hateful about everything right now. Jeepsus cripes! You guys hate Bo and his 9 win seasons (and bad losses..which are the teams by the way not yours!), you hate Beck, you hate Barney, you hate TA, you hate KB, you hate players who don't "see" your particular brand of hate, and you hate each other because you are freaking convinced your reason to hate is the best reason, and not someone else's reason to hate. All over a blessed "GAME".

I truly pity all of you that are so wrapped up in this thing personally. I'm an alum. Had close relatives that were part of the program. But I gather ZERO self identity from a bunch of kids playing a game.

Stop the hate. Get off the board till you are happy. Find other joy in your lives. You'll be much better off, and so will those around you.

That this post shows a misunderstanding of the fundamental nature of a very devoted fan.

If everyone posting in this thread, or all of the threads after the Wiscy game, were nothing but negative all the time, there would be a point here. But we aren't. Mostly, most of us are mostly happy. Most of us hate nothing (except losing, and being a laughingstock across the college football world).

I'm a Bo supporter, believe it or not. I still think he needs to not be the head coach here anymore.

I'm a Kenny Bell fan, believe it or not. Still think he needs to stop trying to "educate" fans that are, for the most part, older than him and have been fans of this program since before he was born.

I'm a Tim Beck fan. I'm a Barney Cotton fan. John Garrison fan. Ross Els fan. But none of them should be coaching here. There's no hate involved in that belief, just an observation based on the product they put on the field.

No, everyone here isn't personally wrapped up in these kids playing this game. But we are avid fans of college football, and for the most part we know what good football is, and we know when we aren't seeing it. That's what we're (mostly) saying here.

I'd say I'm as avid and knowledgeable of fan as there is. I've followed Husker football since early to mid 1960s, when a winning season was reason to celebrate. I've not said that what I see on the field resembles a "good product". I'm saying that being avid doesn't have to mean rabid, which it appears many on this board have become. I did over generalize perhaps, as obviously not everyone on here is over the edge. But my point is, you can be an avid fan and love the team without becoming personally involved and losing all sense of relativity.
Reality, we pay a man 3.1 mil a year without bonuses. Anyone in here did a half ass job at their job they would be canned. It's kinda like that one guy at work who has been working for a while but no one can understand why he or she doesn't get how to do their job, it's frustrating. Being a coach doesn't make him more of a man than anyone else, its a job and he has not exceeded expectations. If that is good enough for people in blue collar jobs then why should it be different for Bo?

Again...I agree, Bo has failed in a very noticeable way. People fail and lose jobs all the time. He should probably lose his, but I have zero input into that equation, no matter how big a fan I am. If I were a wealthy booster, maybe, but not as a fan. Wanting him or Beck or whoever to go is not bad, but becoming so hateful and riled up about it makes no sense. The only thing I can assume is that those who get so worked up have let Husker football become part of their identity. Letting something, over which you have no control, become part of your identity is a problem. Read my response to Knappic. I know, I've been there and got past it.

I don't think frustrated fans on here have let Bo's inability to coach take over their identity. It doesn't have to be one extreme or another. But, I would say that most people have interests and passions in life, and for some, that is Husker football. It's not going to replace other focuses such as your job, children, sick parents, or whatever may be going on in your life personally, but it does help to provide an outlet and community outside of one's day to day routine. Many Nebraska fans don't stop being fans when the bowl game ends in January (like other programs). They follow recruiting into February, then the spring game, the summer Big Red Weekends, etc... Why? Because they have a passion for the game, and when the game and team they love so much is not being managed well, and the program's reputation is a joke to many with a head coach that cannot control himself or his team, it's ok for fans to be riled up and to call out those who are not doing their job. Nobody expects perfection, but we do expect a coach that has his team both physically and mentally tough so they are able to maximize their potential and not have the all too familiar blowout losses that has signified the Pelini era.

• Fire 2

Kenny Bell said the Huskers are willing to fight at the gates of Hell for Bo Pelini.

The fans just want them to play consistent football for four quarters.

LOL - from another reddit post:

[Our Heroes ride up to the Crimson Gates of Alabama]

"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth! Let justice be done upon him!"

"My master, Saban the Great, bids thee welcome. Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me?"

[Pelini raises a sword and beheads the foul servant in one swoop... Bo know blades.]

"CRY HAVOC, and let slip the Black Shirts of War!"

[A puff of smoke and a shadowy figure rises.]

"Oh, that's cute: You guys still pretend that's a thing?"

"Go back to the abyss! Fall into nothingness that awaits you and your master"

"Do you not know death when you see it, bald man? This is my hour!"

[The ground shudders with the pounding approach of an army of oliphants.]

"Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Husker, of Lincoln, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the Midwest!"

I don't think frustrated fans on here have let Bo's inability to coach take over their identity. It doesn't have to be one extreme or another. But, I would say that most people have interests and passions in life, and for some, that is Husker football. It's not going to replace other focuses such as your job, children, sick parents, or whatever may be going on in your life personally, but it does help to provide an outlet and community outside of one's day to day routine. Many Nebraska fans don't stop being fans when the bowl game ends in January (like other programs). They follow recruiting into February, then the spring game, the summer Big Red Weekends, etc... Why? Because they have a passion for the game, and when the game and team they love so much is not being managed well, and the program's reputation is a joke to many with a head coach that cannot control himself or his team, it's ok for fans to be riled up and to call out those who are not doing their job. Nobody expects perfection, but we do expect a coach that has his team both physically and mentally tough so they are able to maximize their potential and not have the all too familiar blowout losses that has signified the Pelini era.

+1. Well said.

If the team truly sees Kenny Bell as one of their leaders, then I can absolutely see why this team is as mentally fragile and unprepared as they are. Sure, I don't think the level of coaching is where it needs to be, but I think some of this stuff we see from Kenny Bell just proves there are some really deep lying issues surrounding this team. Many of us have believed that for quite a long time, I just don't think it's debatable anymore.

It's a damn shame that so much focus is put on all the wrong things. Kenny would rather go to Twitter and argue with people who really have no effect on the outcomes of the game and what happens on the field on Saturday instead of talking to the guys who directly control that outcome.

Nebraska fans didn't go 3-14 on third down last week at Wisconsin.

• Fire 1

Bo just needs a change of scenery. That's the conclusion I've come to. He's not irresponsible enough to just quit. He's not going to enjoy his job here because he's still holding a grudge against the fans of Nebraska and our unreasonable expectations.

The AD has to see this. The man can succeed...elsewhere. That audio tape told me all I needed to know last season. I still tried to rally behind the man hoping that he had moved on from this but when players like Kenny Bell are coming out talking you know he is just parroting things his coach is saying. I don't have proof to back this up but to me it's human nature. The more you know a person, the more attached you become. I believe Bo does have a very close relationship with Kenny Bell and does pass down his disdain for Nebraska fans. He may not say it directly but it could be as simple as "coach did you see this stuff on twitter?" "Nah I don't give a crap about any of them...spoiled babies every one of 'em." Seed planted.

The question fans should be asking is "which universities would still employ Bo after 7 years with 0 championships but 9 wins each year and blowout losses of record setting proportions?" Texas? Oklahoma? Auburn? Alabama? Florida? Ohio State? Michigan? USC? UCLA?

We obviously know which schools would keep him...KU, ISU, Iowa, Indiana, Virginia, Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee? (doubt it they got rid of Fulmer with titles to his name).

Which group do we want to belong to? I will say you pull out the embarrassments and this isn't even an issue.

• Fire 1