*** The Official Husker Football Coach Wish List ***

I know this is a wish list thread, but can we only list HC? The HC is going to pick his staff.

I have been reading a lot about these guys:

1. McElwain

2. Hudspeth

3. Kill

For awhile I have felt that Mark Richt would be the perfect candidate for this position. Offensive mind with SEC connections to fill a staff and DEEP recruiting contacts in the South. He hasn't been that successful lately, but he has been crushed by injuries also. I actually think this is a viable option for a splash hire. Imagine the buzz if NU pulls one of the premier coaches in the SEC? That would be big time for recruiting.

I don't really have a specific coach wish list but I do have a wish list for what a potential coach will bring to Nebraska football.

1. A return to the power running game (preferably with a good dose of option and play action passing).
  2. A grind the clock mentality instead of score fast and often one (probably not to popular with the younger generations).
  3. A big, powerful offensive line to go with the running game.
  4. A return to that physical Nebraska that teams dreaded playing on Saturday's.

Is that too much to ask for this Christmas?

esp #4! there used to be a saying that went something like... "opposing teams knew they just played Nebraska from the physical beating they just took".

• Fire 1

I don't really have a specific coach wish list but I do have a wish list for what a potential coach will bring to Nebraska football.

• A return to the power running game (preferably with a good dose of option and play action passing).
  • A grind the clock mentality instead of score fast and often one (probably not to popular with the younger generations).
  • A big, powerful offensive line to go with the running game.
  • A return to that physical Nebraska that teams dreaded playing on Saturday's.

Is that too much to ask for this Christmas?

I don't care how we get our yards/points...as long as it's has a power/physical mentality with it. You can run spread up tempo and be nasty too.

Also don't care what it looks like as long as it's efficient and not pro style.

Why are we not talking about David Cutliffe. Winner everywhere he's been. Brought ole miss back, raised duke from the dead to a top 25 school.

This dream of tressel, frost, muschamp will not happen. What too many egos there.

He was fired at ole miss. No offense to Duke, but part of the reason he has had success is that their expectations arnt real high.

He was allowed a lot of time to build. They were pretty bad his first few years. Besides he, Paul Johnson, Mullen etc are southern guys and they have a hard time moving north.

I think Tressel is a bad idea and I don't think he will coach again.

I like the Colorado st coach. Living in bsu country their new coach mark hanspar ,I think his name is, is doing a great job. His offense really combines spread and power very well

Been putting a list together for a few days. Its got HC's who are presently not coaching, HC's, OC's and a few DC's. We should be looking at all of them since we will hopefully be in need of an OC and DC if Bo stays. If we get an older HC (Tressel, Brown...) we need to find an OC/DC who would be willing to be mentored till the HC retires.

There are 60 names here and I'm leaning towards:

HC:

Paul Johnson, Jim Tressel, Doc Holiday, Matt Wells, or Mark Hudspeth

OC:

Scott Frost, Matt Cavanaugh, Jake Spavital, or Chad Morris (Gonna be hard to get any one of theswe guys to take a lateral move)

DC:

Will Muschamp, Geoff Collins, Justin Wilcox, or Bob Diaco

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Here's the entire list:

Joe Moglia

Jim Tressell

Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech

Mac Brown

Dennis Erickson (Utah)

Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette

Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State defensive coordinator

Rhett Lashlee, Auburn offensive coordinator

Matt Wells, Utah State head coach

Matt Campbell, Toledo head coach

Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator

Tony Levine, Houston head coach

Joey Jones, South Alabama head coach

Jim McElwain, Colorado State head coach

Scott Frost, Oregon offensive coordinator

Geoff Collins, Mississippi State defensive coordinator

Pete Lembo, Ball State head coach

Eddie Gran, Cincinnati offensive coordinator

Kurt Roper, Florida offensive coordinator

Doc Holliday, Marshall head coach

Dible, Dana NC State Offensive Coordinator

Bobo, Mike Georgia Offensive Coordinatork

Bollman, Jim Ohio State Offensive Coordinator

Brohm, Jeff Louisville Offensive Coordinator

Cavanaugh, Matt Pitt Offensive Coordinator

Cignetti, Frank Cal Offensive Coordinato

Christensen, Dave Missouri Offensive Coordinator

Clawson, David Tennessee Offensive Coordinator

Clements, Randy Baylor Co-Offensive Coordinator

Crowton, Gary LSU Offensive Coordinator

Davis, Greg Texas Offensive Coordinator

Dykes, Sonny Arizona Offensive Coordinator

Franklin, James Maryland Offensive Coordinator

Franklin, Tony Auburn Offensive Coordinator

Gregory, Greg USF Offensive Coordinator

Harsin, Bryan Boise State Offensive Coordinator

Haywood, Michael Notre Dame Offensive Coordinator

Helfrich, Mark Colorado Offensive Coordinator

Lappano, Tim Washington Offensive Coordinator

Lobotzke, Steed Wake Forest Offensive Coordinator

Chad Morris is a rising star as Clemson's offensive coordinator.

As with any list of rising stars or coaches, there are always a handful of names that miss out on the list. However, that isn’t a knock on their coaching ability. Coordinators like Alabama’s Kirby Smart or Michigan State’s Pat Narduzzi have been known for a few years now and will get plenty of looks to be a head coach in the future.

Clemson’s Chad Morris is perhaps the hottest name for potential open vacancies after the 2013 season, as the former Texas high school coach has transformed the Tigers’ into one of the nation’s best offenses. Morris is certainly known around the nation.

Bob Diaco, defensive coordinator, Notre Dame

Diaco was the architect behind Notre Dame’s top-10 defense last season. The Fighting Irish finished seventh nationally in total defense and second in points allowed in 2012, and only two opponents scored over 20 points. Diaco followed coach Brian Kelly from Cincinnati to South Bend, and he worked in assistant jobs with Virginia, Central Michigan, Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan before joining the Bearcats. Diaco has quietly built an impressive resume and should get a chance to be a head coach soon. With a loaded defense returning to South Bend for 2013, Notre Dame should be one of the top-10 defenses in college football, which will make the New Jersey native a hot commodity in coaching searches once the 2013 season is over.

D.J. Durkin, defensive coordinator, Florida

Durkin was promoted to defensive coordinator in mid-January after Dan Quinn left for the NFL. Coach Will Muschamp plays a large role in shaping Florida’s defense, but Durkin’s promotion shouldn’t be overlooked. The Ohio native is highly regarded among coaches in the SEC and worked under two of the best coaches during the BCS era – Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh. This is Durkin’s first chance to be a coordinator, but with Muschamp on the sidelines, don’t expect Florida’s defense to suffer much of a drop in production in 2013 and beyond.

Tom Herman, offensive coordinator, Ohio State

Urban Meyer has a good eye for finding talent in the assistant ranks, so it was no surprise when he picked Herman to join his staff. Herman came to Columbus after three years directing Iowa State’s offense. The Cyclones didn’t have a ton of talent to work with on offense but averaged over 20 points a game in each of Herman’s three seasons. Before Iowa State, Herman called the plays at Rice and directed the Owls’ offense to an average of 41.3 points per game in 2008. Learning under one of the best coaches in college football should only raise Herman’s profile, and the California native should help Meyer direct one of the nation’s top offenses in 2013.

Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator, Arizona State

Norvell was the engineer behind Arizona State’s high-powered offense last season, which averaged 38.4 points a game and ranked fourth in the Pac-12 in total offense. At 32 years old, Norvell is one of college football’s youngest coordinators. However, there’s no doubt he is one of the Pac-12’s rising stars in the assistant ranks. Before coming to Arizona State, Norvell followed Todd Graham to stops at Tulsa and Pittsburgh and started four years at receiver during his playing career at Central Arkansas. Norvell has some holes to fill with running back Cameron Marshall and two receivers departing, but the Sun Devils should once again have one of the best offenses in the Pac-12.

Nick Rolovich, offensive coordinator, Nevada

Rolovich is the lone non-BCS coordinator to make this list for 2013. The California native played quarterback at Hawaii from 2000-01 and had a short professional stint with the Broncos, before spending five seasons in the Arena Football League and one in NFL Europe. Rolovich has been on a quick rise through the assistant ranks, as he spent two years at the City College of San Francisco from 2007-08 and was hired as Hawaii’s quarterbacks coach by Greg McMackin in 2008. Rolovich worked in that capacity until the 2009 season, when he was promoted to offensive coordinator. The Warriors averaged over 30 points a game in 2010 and 2011 under Rolovich’s watch. After Norm Chow was hired as Hawaii’s head coach, Rolovich left to join Nevada’s staff and spent the year learning the Pistol offense under Chris Ault. With his background under two different schemes and success with molding quarterbacks into starters, Rolovich is one of college football’s up-and-coming offensive playcallers.

Jake Spavital, co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, Texas A&M

After working with Case Keenum at Houston and Geno Smith at West Virginia, Spavital gets to tutor Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel in 2013. The Oklahoma native has been on a fast track through the assistant ranks, starting his career at Tulsa under Gus Malzahn in 2008, before joining Dana Holgorsen at Houston in 2009. Spavital worked for two years under Holgorsen at West Virginia, serving as the team’s quarterbacks coach.

Justin Wilcox, defensive coordinator, Washington

Wilcox transformed Washington’s defense from one of the worst in the nation in 2012 to rank fourth in the Pac-12 in points and yards allowed in 2013. The Oregon native started his coaching career as a graduate assistant with Boise State in 2001 and worked in that capacity until joining California as a linebackers coach in 2003. After three years with the Golden Bears, Wilcox was selected as Boise State’s defensive coordinator in 2006 and coached in that role until 2009. He served for two years as Tennessee’s defensive coordinator under Derek Dooley in 2010 and took over at Washington in 2012. Wilcox is only 36 years old, but he is ready to be a head coach. However, until he leaves Seattle, expect the Huskies to rank among the best defenses in the Pac-12.

Mike Yurcich, offensive coordinator, Oklahoma State

A few eyebrows were raised when Mike Gundy announced Yurcich as his new offensive coordinator. However, the Ohio native appears to be a perfect replacement for Todd Monken, who left to be the head coach at Southern Miss. Yurcich comes to Stillwater after a two-year stint as Shippensburg’s offensive coordinator. Under his watch, Shippensburg’s quarterback (Zach Zulli) won the Harlon Hill Award for the top player in Division II, while the offense averaged 529.2 yards per game in 2012. Yurcich doesn’t have to make wholesale changes at Oklahoma State, as the offense will largely use most of the same scheme from the previous year. However, expect Yurcich to put his own tweaks into the system, which as evidenced on the Division II level, should work out well for the Cowboys.

Mike Bobo (Georgia)

Bobo has had a great career since he started at Georgia in 2007. He started as the quarterbacks coach and helped develop talents like Matthew Stafford into NFL-caliber players. He then became the offensive coordinator and has helped guide Georgia to an extremely successful offense, taking advantage of the blue chip recruits the Bulldogs bring in.

Georgia knows how valuable Bobo is to the program. They recently re-signed him to a multi-year deal that made him one of the highest paid assistants in the SEC.

Bobo returns a ton of talent on offense, including quarterback Aaron Murray and running back Todd Gurley.

Cam Cameron (LSU)

Cameron was fired near the end of the 2012 season by the Baltimore Ravens. However, he is still an excellent playcaller. He was the offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers from 2002-2006, and helped them to playoff appearances in every season.

Cameron also has significant college experience. He spent 1983--1993 at Michigan and was the head coach of Indiana from 1997-2001. He will be expected to help turn around a Tigers offense that finished 77th in total offense last season, despite having good talent at every position.

James Coley (Miami)

Coley is an up-and-coming offensive coordinator who has been stuck in the shadow of Jimbo Fisher. He started as a graduate assistant under Fisher at LSU. Then, Coley ended up as Fisher’s assistant at Florida State under head coach Bobby Bowden. He was then promoted to offensive coordinator when Fisher replaced Bobby Bowden as head coach.

However, since Fisher took over as the Seminoles’ head coach, he has been the playcaller, not Coley. So finally, after a few years as the coordinator at Florida State, Coley moves on to the Hurricanes, where Coley will have an opportunity to call plays and will have plenty of weapons to ease the transition. The offense will be led by quarterback Stephen Morris and running back Duke Johnson.

Other Candidates

Josh Heupel (Oklahoma)

Clay Helton (USC)

Danny Langsdorf (Oregon State)

Brian Johnson (Utah)

Doug Nussmeier (Alabama)

Brent Pease (Florida)

Les Koenning (Mississippi State)

Jeff Jagodzinski (Georgia State)

If you're interested in something from left field here's a name for you. Kurtiss Riggs. he has been a very

successful player and coach here in Sioux Falls. A multiple National Champion QB and coach at USF and a multiple

league championship head coach of the IFL 5 time consecutive champion Sioux Falls Storm. Might be worth a look as

QB coach with a shot to move up to OC.

T_O_B

Great work putting a list together. A lot of those coaches love to throw the ball on that list, would be interesting to see how a hire like that would go over at a place like Nebraska. Also hell no to Denis Erickson in any capacity being from Arizona I would hate to see him do what he did to ASU to Nebraska, talk about a guy that can't recruit

T_O_Bull, nice list. It might be more helpful if it wasn't so outdated.

Just a quick glance..

Nussmeier is the OC @ Michigan

Wilcox is the DC @ USC

Mark Helfrich is the HC @ freaking Oregon

Greg Davis is the OC @ Iowa

James Franklin is the HC @ Penn State (seriously how old is this list?!?!? He hasn't been the OC @ Maryland in like 4 years)

I'm in agreement with some of the names here.

Look, Nebraska is a top 12 job (you could argue top 10) there is ZERO reason we should have to grovel for some hot shot coordinator. I want nothing to do with Scott Frost right now. Let him cut his teeth at San Diego State or something first and prove that he can actually coach and not simply crash the car that Chip Kelly built.

In no particular order:

McElwain

Gary Patterson

Dan Mullen

I'd love to snag Bilemma (sp) he's onery, I love the way Arkansas plays and it would dump gasoline on the Wisconsin rivalry.

Interesting fringe candidates

Tressel

David Shaw

• Fire 1

Great work putting a list together. A lot of those coaches love to throw the ball on that list, would be interesting to see how a hire like that would go over at a place like Nebraska. Also hell no to Denis Erickson in any capacity being from Arizona I would hate to see him do what he did to ASU to Nebraska, talk about a guy that can't recruit

Paul Johnson, my first choice, is hardly pass happy. Dennis Erickson is just a name on the list and he didn't make my 5 choices for HC.

T_O_B

T_O_Bull, nice list. It might be more helpful if it wasn't so outdated.

Just a quick glance..

Nussmeier is the OC @ Michigan

Wilcox is the DC @ USC

Mark Helfrich is the HC @ freaking Oregon

Greg Davis is the OC @ Iowa

James Franklin is the HC @ Penn State (seriously how old is this list?!?!? He hasn't been the OC @ Maryland in like 4 years)

I'm in agreement with some of the names here.

Look, Nebraska is a top 12 job (you could argue top 10) there is ZERO reason we should have to grovel for some hot shot coordinator. I want nothing to do with Scott Frost right now. Let him cut his teeth at San Diego State or something first and prove that he can actually coach and not simply crash the car that Chip Kelly built.

In no particular order:

McElwain

Gary Patterson

Dan Mullen

I'd love to snag Bilemma (sp) he's onery, I love the way Arkansas plays and it would dump gasoline on the Wisconsin rivalry.

Interesting fringe candidates

Tressel

David Shaw

Its just a list, newby. My first choice for HC is Paul Johnson who is hardly pass happy and Dennis Erickson didn't make my favorite 5 for HC.

"I want nothing to do with Scott Frost right now." Doesn't exactly put you in the majority here and I was looking for him as OC.

"I'd love to snag Bilemma (sp) he's onery, I love the way Arkansas plays and it would dump gasoline on the Wisconsin rivalry." Really?

"Bielema's first season at Arkansas resulted in an overall record of 3-9, including 0-8 in the Southeastern Conference. It was the Razorbacks' worst SEC conference mark since entering the league in 1992 and their first winless

in-conference season since 1942, when they were a member of the Southwest Conf." You want this guy because he's

"onery" and because it would "dump gasoline on the Wisconsin rivalry." In the words of JohnMcEnroe, "You can't be

serious."

You might want to take a look at HuskerHipster's thread here he's a first time poster too and his post is spot on.

T_O_B