Player tweets on Pelini firing

Why was the 07' defense referred to as the pinkshirts by a lot of us back then, but the 14' defense has rarely ever been referred to as pinkshirts even though they are just as dismal? Why was Bo given so much more rope to hang himself with than we gave Cosgrove?

The '14 defense is nowhere near the abyssimal 2007 defense. The 2014 defense is skewed heavily by the Wisconsin debacle. Outside of that, it's been a decent to good defense.

2014 gave up over 30 points 3 times, 31 to Miami, 34 to Iowa, and 59 to Wisconsin.

2007 gave up 49 to USC, 40 to Ball State, 41 to Missouri, 45 to Okie State (35-0 at half), 36 to A&M, 76 to Kansas, 31 to KSU, and 65 to Colorado.

The more in depth stats tell the same story.

• Fire 2

Saunders try listening for once in your life.

He tried to sabotage the program when he left the first time.

Never said a word about him not being liked.

What I said is he will do the same thing again, unless the heavy use of social media works in a positive manor. We have reports of coaches going ballistic, negative recruiting from within the walls. Where do those ideas come from.

My guess is he was prevented from attending a scheduled meeting, but have no idea if that is the case.

I would guess you are going to learn a lot of things going down the road. Things that are going to make you quite angry. A lot of the Pelini story will come out after he is gone. Give it 6 months and if I owe you an apology you will get it.

This falls under "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." If this happened exactly as you're describing, the Administration is 100% aware of it. With that awareness, if they don't tie Bo's future payout to his after-termination behavior under the Conduct Clause, they're fools and they get what they deserve.

Bo stands to lose millions if he attempts to incite the players. I don't see him doing that, nor do I see the people atop this university falling for the same trick twice.

Exactly. If this stuff is all true, then Steve Pederson was the good guy for doing what he did, and Tom & Harvey are the villains for bringing Bo back.

1130.gif

• Fire 1

If the fans didn't care then Nebraska doesn't make any money off of football and the football program will no longer exist.

So you are saying:

Fan $$$ = Football

I disagree. College football doesn't have to exist in its present form. In fact, I would rather not have seen it turn into the minor leagues for the NFL and an escape for people who artificially boost their self esteem just by buying a t-shirt.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. I guess I really am confused as to what type of college football you want to see? You don't like that fans are passionate about competition (Bo is that you?), you don't like that money dictates a lot of things (life), ...just what is the perfect college football world? When was college football ever about playing a sport without money involved (depression days?)? One thing I will agree with you is the nature of a lot of fans today. It's just a game. Nebraska can wallow in nothingness and there are plenty of other things I'll do with my time and be just fine. It's fun to watch competitive, good football but there are lots of other things to do.

You premise that football can exist without fans is not the issue. You can do anything without an audience. But you can't discount what the fans mean to the sport today. The fans drive the sport. Coaching decisions are made with the fans in mind. I'm really not even sure what we're arguing about anymore.

Your avatar is amazing.

The competition was quite a bit stiffer in 07'. Mizzou had the #3 best offense in the country. Okie State had the #5 best offense in the country. Kansas had the #8 best offense in the country. This year, we didn't even face a top 10 best offense.

KSU, A&M, and Colorado all were bottom half, and had no problems scoring.

• Fire 1

Why was the 07' defense referred to as the pinkshirts by a lot of us back then, but the 14' defense has rarely ever been referred to as pinkshirts even though they are just as dismal? Why was Bo given so much more rope to hang himself with than we gave Cosgrove?

The '14 defense is nowhere near the abyssimal 2007 defense. The 2014 defense is skewed heavily by the Wisconsin debacle. Outside of that, it's been a decent to good defense.

2014 gave up over 30 points 3 times, 31 to Miami, 34 to Iowa, and 59 to Wisconsin.

2007 gave up 49 to USC, 40 to Ball State, 41 to Missouri, 45 to Okie State (35-0 at half), 36 to A&M, 76 to Kansas, 31 to KSU, and 65 to Colorado.

It's also favorable skewed by the fact that Michigan State stopped playing football at the end of the 3rd quarter.

It's also favorable skewed by the fact that Michigan State stopped playing football at the end of the 3rd quarter.

That's their problem, not ours. Also, our defense wasn't a problem in that game.

And Okie State and A&M stopped at halftime in 2007...

• Fire 1

And Okie State and A&M stopped at halftime in 2007...

Agreed there, was just saying that our defense wasn't leaps and bounds better than 07. Like someone mentioned above, much stiffer competition than what we saw this year.

But those stats directly contradict how we feel about Bo's defense! Add snarky comment about your intelligence here.

:sarcasm

Saunders try listening for once in your life.

He tried to sabotage the program when he left the first time.

Never said a word about him not being liked.

What I said is he will do the same thing again, unless the heavy use of social media works in a positive manor. We have reports of coaches going ballistic, negative recruiting from within the walls. Where do those ideas come from.

My guess is he was prevented from attending a scheduled meeting, but have no idea if that is the case.

I would guess you are going to learn a lot of things going down the road. Things that are going to make you quite angry. A lot of the Pelini story will come out after he is gone. Give it 6 months and if I owe you an apology you will get it.

How did he sabotage this program back in 03?

He sabotaged it so bad that we up and hired him again as the head football coach because Harvey, Tom, boosters, and former players all signed off on the guy....

Either there's some massive bullsh#t going on in here, or the University of Nebraska has been employing a bunch of f'ing idiots for 15 years.

If these stories are true, then the fans should be livid with the brass at Nebraska, and finding out exactly why Tom hired Bo in the first place. Tom should also be on the hook for the damages. Tom needs to apologize, and Harvey should step down for allowing it to happen.

Or... there's a chance that the message board fodder is just that.

Occam's razor y'all.

But, but I saw it on the internets, it must be true! Folks believe what they want depending on what they already think.

LOL at the folks saying Bo didn't go to the meeting because he's a prick, then its that he couldn't go, but he's still a prick. Solich didn't get to meet the team either. Is he a prick too?

No final meeting with Bo just makes the team feel more alienated and hostile. They had a relationship with Bo, now they need closure to aid in moving-on. If Shawn feels paranoid about the team meeting then just record the damn thing.

The competition was quite a bit stiffer in 07'. Mizzou had the #3 best offense in the country. Okie State had the #5 best offense in the country. Kansas had the #8 best offense in the country. This year, we didn't even face a top 10 best offense.

A&M came in at #46 which isn't bottom half. Clownahan and gang had already packed it up by the CU game. There's a link in one of the umpteen threads here that lists our worst defensive performances in history. I believe the fabulous Bofense owns over half of them. He owns a heck of a lot more than Cosgrove does!

A&M came in at #46 which isn't bottom half. Clownahan and gang had already packed it up by the CU game. There's a link in one of the umpteen threads here that lists our worst defensive performances in history. I believe the fabulous Bofense owns over half of them. He owns a heck of a lot more than Cosgrove does!

You said the 2014 is as bad as 2007. Every metric says no. We moving them goalposts now?

I'm really not even sure what we're arguing about anymore.

The original burr under my saddle was the comment to the effect that "...we deserve more."

My reply to that comment is "Who exactly is 'we' and for what reason do 'we deserve more'?"

I call that "t-shirt entitlement", when someone buys a jersey, spends hours on this forum or similar, or buys tickets to a game, so that they can consider the Cornhusker football team as "we" and that they are owed a better performance based on their formerly mentioned "buy in". As an analogy, I don't say "we won an Oscar!" just because I took my sons to the Star Wars movie years back and bought them Stormtrooper action figures. We tend to blur the line between spectator and participant.

So that's the end of this for me, but if you want to make the point that fans aren't being milked of their money by being sold (and buying into) this "we" facade, I'll sit back and listen.