Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

Wow. Welcome to the abyss. This was our chance and we blew it. This guy wont last more than a few years. Eichorst basically fired himself today along with Pearlman.

You are telling me we fired Bo Pelini to go get a guy who is arguably the same if not worse. This guy hasnt done anything in his coaching career. This is one of the saddest days in Husker football. It appears the national media pundits are correct that Nebraska is no longer a destination job. I have a hard time believing Mike Riley was our first choice. If we pay this guy anything over $1 million its too much.

Remove the million in that last sentence.

He already makes 1.5 I would say he makes what Bo was making. He really needs a great OC and DC corrdinator and great recruiting position coaches. I would keep Warren maybe Kaz on staff and GBR!!!! Also forgot he is a great QB coach which we have not had in a long time.

He already makes 1.5 I would say he makes what Bo was making. He really needs a great OC and DC corrdinator and great recruiting position coaches. I would keep Warren maybe Kaz on staff and GBR!!!!

Are we going to double his salary? I sure as hell hope not. Give him a slight raise and spend some money on quality staff and recruiting.

Wow. I said in a post earlier with all our speculation I wouldn't be surprised if the new coach was someone we hadn't thought of and I had a list of 60 "candidates."

I am a bit disappointed in the negative posts of my Huskerboard Brothers. I feel that support and at least holding back on the negative BS should be the rule of the day. Give Coach Riles some time before we start to rip him. I remember the ripping TO got early in his tenure and look how that turned out. I feel a lot will depend on how he assembles his staff and, as you know, I think that goes all the way down to the S&C coaches.

He's now in charge of a program with more resources than Phil Knight and the god-awful uniformed OU Ducks.

Let's get behind Coach Riles. We did it for Callahan and we sure as hell did it for BP. Coach Riles deserves at least that much.

G B R !!!!!

T_O_B

• Fire 5

Okay, this isn't as bad as we think it is. Guess who has all of the flashy uniforms recruits like? Oregon. It's hard to win being Oregon state. I'm going to wait a season before I judge him. People, don't instantly come to conclusions. We need to welcome the guy to nebraska and actually SUPPORT THE TEAM rather then bash everyone.

• Fire 1

It's a 'splash' hire for everyone, it seems, except those of us here in NE. If we are preparing for a HUSKER SATURDAY GAME this time next year....Shawn will be a genius. I like our odds to be honest. Dig in a little (I had to dig a lot, I knew nothing about the dude) - and the sun starts shining.

• Turned down USC twice
  • Turned down Bama (where he played for Bear!)
  • The # of dudes he puts in the NFL
  • QB development
  • Ability to manage communication properly to all parties
  • WELL RESPECTED EVERYWHERE
  • An amazing recruiter
  • Agrees with the Nebraska Nice way
  • Will likely have a great staff due to the respect in circles
  • Will likely embrace and promote our great traditions, not the least of which will be the Blackshirts (which I think is one of NUs biggest marketing tools and needs to be leveraged)
  • More cool stuff I've read about him too...........tired of typing from phone....

One other thing not on the list: he won a couple Grey Cup league championships in the Canadian pro Football League (in Winnipeg, no less - the last two times they have ever won - in '88 & '90). I know some people will scoff at that, but it does show that he maybe could win the big game at this level(?)

• Plus1 1

A bit surprised more on here aren't at least willing to give him a chance to prove himself with our resources.

If we wanted a ceo with a resume .........he's got that.

Now let's see who he brings in as coordinators before burying him..........that will tell us more about his potential success.......

When folks said they wanted a "CEO resume", I don't think Enron is what they had in mind... #DetailsMatter

Yeah, Details DO matter.

And I'm guessing that you don't know many more details than the rest of us in Husker Nation about Riley and his strengths etc. except for the win/loss comparison which is hard to compare across conferences......

So, (since we can't alter the decision anyway), why aren't folks willing to let him introduce himself, hire a staff and explain his philosophies??

Sounds like the "most knowledgable fans" in America aren't really quite so open minded after all........

I am good friends with some former OSU players under Riley. Today I am working next to a 3 year starter at OSU under Riley. His response - TO demeanor & it could be worst than always finishing 3rd in B10 West...

Riley is NOT a bad person; also not the hire we needed.

EDIT: I get you and others are excited about this and that's fine. For myself, I do not see any indication this will be an upgrade from what we had. Time will tell but that doesn't mean we can't share our opinion on the hire until then...

Agree 100% on the highlighted above. Appreciate the discussion.

I'll be MORE EXCITED (hopefully) AFTER the presser and his coordinator and staff choices.....

He isn't a great recruiter, so that's just simply not true, he develops players and gets the most out of them. OSU averaged 2 star athletes while he was there............

So he's able to see potential in players that are often overlooked?

Seems so, I'm going to retract this statement the more I read. I didn't realize OSU was so hard to recruit to so considering that he's done a pretty good job.

Mike Riley is a very good coach. He was at a place that was a VERY distant #2 to Oregon in the State and didn't have Nike giving it what it wanted. He fielded very disciplined teams that were usually competitive.

I think they may end up being a much better hire than people are giving it credit for.

I think this is a good hire personally.

Agree 100%. I am excited about his recruiting ability and QB work. Can't wait to see what Stanton can do under these circumstances. Looking forward to seeing who the OC and DC will be, and hopefully we can keep the coaches that we want to stay at NU. Going up against the monster that is Nike U would be tough for any school from a recruiting front.

I am shocked at the people who are "done" with the Huskers because of this hire. Is that really all that it takes to get you to stop supporting a team that you supposedly love? Wow...I'd rather be patient and see how the next couple of seasons play out.

No! But on top of BC then Bo, this will end the sellout streak within 2 years.