Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

You gotta be fricking kidding me! Horrible hire, never even won his division. Did he EVER turn OSU into anything since 1997! Humongous downgrade! I think nice guy but bad coach. Eichorst must go now!

His BEST season was 4 losses, Pelinis WORST season was 4 losses!

His records:

3-8

5-6

8-5

7-5

5-6

10-4

9-4

9-4

8-5

5-7

3-9

9-4

7-6

5-7

There was a coach called Nick Saban, you may have even heard of him, I heard he has even had some moderate success at Alabama.

Before he was hired at LSU he went 34-24 at Michigan state with yearly records of

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

9-2

With ZERO conference titles.

I'd say that worked out pretty well for LSU.

So everyone should chill out and see how it works. From everything he is a very well respected coach and this is being heralded by many as a great hire.

• Fire 1

Living in the Northwest, I can tell you he is a very well respected coach, that has overachieved for the most part with not a lot of talent. I am very surprised by the hire though. He will be what is the opposite of BP. I do question what he will put out there for an offense though. He has had some good defenses over the years. It is not a wow hire, but it is a good hire. Reminds me a lot of Gary Anderson being hired at Whisky. Most people went ????????????????, but he has worked out ok. Oh and his team beat Wisconsin in 2012.

Ok if Riley is such a tremendous coach and all this why did no one link him or pick him for the job? Did they just assume he would never leave Oregon state?

Yes. He's turned down some pretty big programs in the past. He probably isn't as hot of commodity as he was a few years back when they were knocking off Pete Carroll's band of cheaters, but the guy can flat out get things done.

• Plus1 1

A bit surprised more on here aren't at least willing to give him a chance to prove himself with our resources.

If we wanted a ceo with a resume .........he's got that.

Now let's see who he brings in as coordinators before burying him..........that will tell us more about his potential success.......

When folks said they wanted a "CEO resume", I don't think Enron is what they had in mind... #DetailsMatter

It's a 'splash' hire for everyone, it seems, except those of us here in NE. If we are preparing for a HUSKER SATURDAY GAME this time next year....Shawn will be a genius. I like our odds to be honest. Dig in a little (I had to dig a lot, I knew nothing about the dude) - and the sun starts shining.

• Turned down USC twice
  • Turned down Bama (where he played for Bear!)
  • The # of dudes he puts in the NFL
  • QB development
  • Ability to manage communication properly to all parties
  • WELL RESPECTED EVERYWHERE
  • An amazing recruiter
  • Agrees with the Nebraska Nice way
  • Will likely have a great staff due to the respect in circles
  • Will likely embrace and promote our great traditions, not the least of which will be the Blackshirts (which I think is one of NUs biggest marketing tools and needs to be leveraged)
  • More cool stuff I've read about him too...........tired of typing from phone....
  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 4

I'm trying to see the method to the madness here.

There is a way I can get excited about this.

He is obviously a very experienced HC. He knows how to manage a program. He has not been in a program with anywhere close to the resources we have.

Sooooo.....let's get him here and then spend a huge amount on coordinators and assistants around him.

This could work.

I hope that this turns out to be a teachable moment for Husker Nation when it comes to home run hires. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and pray that with our resources at his disposal, he'll be every bit as good as the pundits claim. Let's get behind him and the team and give them every bit of support that we can muster. Now is the time to pull together.