Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

Wow didn't expect everyone to be this upset. I just think eichorst got everyone's expectations a little to high. I for one like the hire and it kinda reminds me of the Miles hire. Wait to judge until he builds a staff and has a season under his belt.

He fired a coach with 3 losses and said the reason why is he expects us to compete for championships, and hires a guy that has ~50% win/loss percentage. Maybe the guy ends up being the answer, maybe he lays an egg. I honestly hope Riley comes in and surprises me, but I don't think he will.

No way Bo has the same record as he did here at Oregon State. People need to give him a season or two.
  • Fire 1

Word is Scott Frost knows him really well, and supposedly he's bringing his DC but no OC

Scott Frost's dad tells 10/11 Scott knows Mike Riley well. Interpret as you wish...

Only thing to save this hire, bring in Frost as OC and coach-in-waiting, so this would be sort of a Tressel/Frost combo we imagined and hoped for. He's 61, give him 5 years and then let Frost take over...

AMEN to that!

After careful consideration (and banging my head on my desk a dozen times) I have 3 very thoughtful, very plausible theories to this hire.

1. Mike Riley will hire Scott Frost as his OC/AHC and exit within 3-4 years leaving Scott with his dream job and a stacked cupboard. (could be several struggling seasons until then).

2. Eichorst looked at the list of requirements given to him by HP and the boosters and said, OK, you want to make me fire a 9 win coach? this guy has everything on your list, good luck with that and FU!

3. Eichorst is still in leagues with Wisconsin and secretly hopes we plummet into the abyss that is/was Nebraska mediocrity/bottom of the barrel. Leaves in 2 years (before we fire this new guy) and takes his place at the Throne in Madison post Alvarez.

I'll take #1. the only way this makes sense to me. Possible # 4: Eichorst is smarter than we give him credit. Riley is respected nationally, he is the anti-Bo image wise, he develops players and Eichorst can see that this guy wt our resources could blossom here were he was limited at OSU - this is the only hope I have (that and SF as OC). I'm going to start counting to 10 and calm my initial reaction. Either Eichorst is incredibly dumb and self hating (end of career at NU if this fails) or he is incredibly smart and sees something I can see in my armchair AD position.

After careful consideration (and banging my head on my desk a dozen times) I have 3 very thoughtful, very plausible theories to this hire.

1. Mike Riley will hire Scott Frost as his OC/AHC and exit within 3-4 years leaving Scott with his dream job and a stacked cupboard. (could be several struggling seasons until then).

2. Eichorst looked at the list of requirements given to him by HP and the boosters and said, OK, you want to make me fire a 9 win coach? this guy has everything on your list, good luck with that and FU!

3. Eichorst is still in leagues with Wisconsin and secretly hopes we plummet into the abyss that is/was Nebraska mediocrity/bottom of the barrel. Leaves in 2 years (before we fire this new guy) and takes his place at the Throne in Madison post Alvarez.

2 & 3 are neither thoughtful nor plausible, and I'm doubting #1 also.

Let's all give this guy a chance. Few things to consider that have been brought up...

-Oregon St has been competitive year in and year out, with limited resources and playing 2nd fiddle to Oregon

-His competitive teams have quite a number of big wins, something Bo cannot lay claim to and was one of his biggest downfalls

-He's incredibly media friendly and really, polar opposite reputation of Bo in terms of public relations and how that affects his players

-The resources in terms of recruiting, $ for assistants and facilities is infinitely strong at Nebraska than what he had to work with at Oregon St.

Fielding a annually competitive team that is capable of taking down top ranked teams in the PAC 12 is quite an accomplishment given the deficiencies at OSU from a football standpoint. Buddy at work knows the Oregon football scene well and says we got a great hire if we're looking for a CEO to run the program, guy has tons of connections from his career, interesting to see who he brings with him.

Yes this came out of no where, but his reputation and national reaction to this hire is certainly a positive for the program. Its not a splash hire we were expecting, but we're certainly not getting an inexperience, in over his head coach.... I'm excited to see what Riley can do with our resources

GBR

• Fire 2

I don't understand all the hate. Mike Riley is one of the very best coaches in football, possibly the top 5 coaching minds, and will bring a much needed fresh approach to the program. He is a great guy and an even better coach. Other coaches consider him one of the best out there as well.

Big Red is BAAAAAACCKKKKK!

• Fire 2