Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

The hiring story is not over yet. It is possible that, although he has not made lateral moves before now, Scott Frost may agree to come and be OC/Asst. Head Coach under a 61 year old who is signing his last big paycheck before retirement. That gives time to evaluate SF rather than just handing him the reigns, and even SF may see that as a win-win. Word is that Riley is bringing his DC, but no word on OC yet.

The word his DC is horrible. So that's terrible news.

What a disaster................I'm truly at a loss for words. I want to give the guy a chance, but I can't get over the feeling I have right now. I said a few days ago, this HAS to be the right hire or it'll drive this program to the depths from where it may never recover. I guess time will tell how this is going to go, but I have my doubts..............

Im with you BRI. Eichorst had one job........Im in disbelief of what just occured. The only thing that makes sense is we truly have become a 3rd tier program and have accepted that kind of thinking.

Over the past 7 years, Riley’s Oregon State teams were +17 in turnover margin. Nebraska was -33 over that same span. #Huskers

Over the past 7 years, Riley’s Oregon State teams were +17 in turnover margin. Nebraska was -33 over that same span. #Huskers

This tells me an aggressive D and a disciplined O - something that has been missing. I'll take that wt NU talent - we could go places.

Riley isn't a sexy hire but he's a good solid HC and he's produced better than his talent base should support. IMHO he's coming to a weaker conference and will have a better talent base to work with. I liken him to solid workmanlike coaches like Bret Bielema and Jerry kill.

• Fire 1

Given what he had at his disposal in Corvallis, he probably did the best he could. Going up against Oregon (and the other power programs in the PAC 12) for recruits must have been tough, but, he'll face similar recruiting issues in the Midwest and beyond. Not to mention the actual games.

Is this guy being brought in as he is the absolute opposite, personality wise , to Bo Pellini? Does Eichorst think that a more affable coach is going to placate all the fans who were sick of "the antics"? That may work in the preseason games, but if he gets hammered in the Big 10 games...

Like others have said, you have to hope that there is something else coming down the pike, like a Scott Frost.

I get the feeling that this is a "safe" choice for a head coach after all those seasons the team was coached by a "hothead" who won 9 games a season. Hopefully, Nebraska will not be hoping for the comfort of 9 win seasons further down the road.

I don't understand. If he is such a great recruiter why isn't Oregon St better? I'm just hoping he can really develope players and NU hires top notch recruiters to complement him. It just doesn't seem like he brings the energy needed for this position, but I guess we will see.

He's not. That's a sack of crap. Oregon State's cupboard is bare right now because of his poor recruiting.

He can, however, develop players. He'll be WAY better than Bo ever was in that department.

The hiring story is not over yet. It is possible that, although he has not made lateral moves before now, Scott Frost may agree to come and be OC/Asst. Head Coach under a 61 year old who is signing his last big paycheck before retirement. That gives time to evaluate SF rather than just handing him the reigns, and even SF may see that as a win-win. Word is that Riley is bringing his DC, but no word on OC yet.

The word his DC is horrible. So that's terrible news.

Well the year we lost to UCLA 36-30 and Wisc 70-31...he did beat both, 27-20 and 10-7. He held that Wiscy team to 7. That's roughly 63 points better than NU.

• Fire 1

What a disaster................I'm truly at a loss for words. I want to give the guy a chance, but I can't get over the feeling I have right now. I said a few days ago, this HAS to be the right hire or it'll drive this program to the depths from where it may never recover. I guess time will tell how this is going to go, but I have my doubts..............

My thoughts exactly. I feel completely empty inside. This was not a homerun hire. This was not a splash. I would challenge anyone to argue this is an upgrade over Pelini. Go on; someone explain how we are far better off with Riley as our head coach than Bo.

A bit surprised more on here aren't at least willing to give him a chance to prove himself with our resources.

If we wanted a ceo with a resume .........he's got that.

Now let's see who he brings in as coordinators before burying him..........that will tell us more about his potential success.......

When folks said they wanted a "CEO resume", I don't think Enron is what they had in mind... #DetailsMatter

Yeah, Details DO matter.

And I'm guessing that you don't know many more details than the rest of us in Husker Nation about Riley and his strengths etc. except for the win/loss comparison which is hard to compare across conferences......

So, (since we can't alter the decision anyway), why aren't folks willing to let him introduce himself, hire a staff and explain his philosophies??

Sounds like the "most knowledgable fans" in America aren't really quite so open minded after all........

• Fire 2