Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

Wow didn't expect everyone to be this upset. I just think eichorst got everyone's expectations a little to high. I for one like the hire and it kinda reminds me of the Miles hire. Wait to judge until he builds a staff and has a season under his belt.

He fired a coach with 3 losses and said the reason why is he expects us to compete for championships, and hires a guy that has ~50% win/loss percentage. Maybe the guy ends up being the answer, maybe he lays an egg. I honestly hope Riley comes in and surprises me, but I don't think he will.

I completely agree. I was all for firing Pelini and have been. It seems as though the AD didnt fully comprehend what needs/ed to happen. You dont fire someone for stated reason and then go hire someone who clearly doesnt fit the bill. Everyone and their dog knows this needed to be a big hire. We needed a guy who could come in right away and compete, i dont think anyone can argue Mike Riley can do that. Nothing in his past even suggests that. Players are going to bounce out of here at a breakneck pace and we will be lucky to field a recruiting class.

The Ginger Assassin just assasinated himself, the NU football program, Harvey Pearlman and the sellout streak.

This is a great hire. I'm just really surprised we were able to lure him away from Oregon State. His name has been bantered around for several other jobs in the past, but nobody was ever able to get him away from Oregon State. If anyone wants to see him in action, I suggest going back and watching the USC vs. Oregon State games when USC was ranked top 3 and Oregon State just pounded the rock down their throat. I've been to Corvalis, and I can say that Manhattan, KS would more than likely be a lot easier to recruit to than Corvalis.

• Fire 1

He's one of those guys the media always gushes about, BUT I've never quite understood why.

I guess we'll find out !

Try getting all your recruits nearby pulled to Oregon, Washington and Cali and then having to fight for the scraps. This guy develops players...

He is also a QB coach.

I would prefer an Art Briles type who actually won in a bad situation.

Now that the initial rage is over, I am feeling more optimisitc, but this can't be called a home run. Hopefully a well hit double?

I was in a big month end close meeting. Get back to my desk and see about 50 texts...

Shocked would be the correct word. Sounds like he is the anti-Pelini, aka the nicest guy you'll ever meet. Lee B's article on Monday (?) said that the hire was going to be someone with a "positive" demeanor, and I guess this fits that. I'm going to hold off judgement for a couple years and see where he gets us. No sense whining about it now.

Let's get the recruiting class filled out. And only 275 days until BYU. Looking forward to the ride!

Wow didn't expect everyone to be this upset. I just think eichorst got everyone's expectations a little to high. I for one like the hire and it kinda reminds me of the Miles hire. Wait to judge until he builds a staff and has a season under his belt.

He fired a coach with 3 losses and said the reason why is he expects us to compete for championships, and hires a guy that has ~50% win/loss percentage. Maybe the guy ends up being the answer, maybe he lays an egg. I honestly hope Riley comes in and surprises me, but I don't think he will.

No way Bo has the same record as he did here at Oregon State. People need to give him a season or two.

I don't agree with your assertion, but there's really no way to prove it either way. So...

And just like Bo, I say give this guy a good chance. I hate saying he has X years (insert any number you prefer), but it looks like we have a timeline we can roughly go by:

71% wins never fewer than 9 wins, but also only one season with fewer than 4 losses (The Bo Timeline): 7 years

50% wins with some 5-7 years and some 9-3 years (The Callahan Timeline): 4 years

75% wins with a conference championship and a loss in the MNC (The Solich Timeline): 6 years

So at a minimum he has 4 years I guess.

"Oh, boy. The end of the season is like falling off of a cliff. It's always kind of sudden. You don't want it to end. You don't want it to end like that. You don't want it to end, in general, with the season that we had. It's going to be, now, a time where we have to put our energy into recruiting and eventually into an evaluation and a plan for going forward in football. We've got a lot to do ahead of us. It's very abrupt. Everybody (on the coaching staff is) either leaving today or tomorrow to go on the recruiting trail. I'll meet with our team quickly in the morning and I'll be gone. We've got to focus on that. And then the other part, the football part, will be an ongoing thing."

-Mike Riley, Nebraska Football Coach in his last press conference as Oregon State Football Coach

Nuff said.

He's one of those guys the media always gushes about, BUT I've never quite understood why.

I guess we'll find out !

Try getting all your recruits nearby pulled to Oregon, Washington and Cali and then having to fight for the scraps. This guy develops players...

He is also a QB coach.

This is an important point. Oregon State is a little fish swimming in the same pond as some mighty big fish. NU is going to have some recruiting advantages that he's never had in Corvallis.