Mike Riley's Staff

Its time to get a BIG TIME Dedicated Offensive Line Coach. Its time to bring the Pipeline back up to the standard which Nebraska is used to. I honestly believe that the offensive line was the biggest thing holding us back during the Pelini era. I feel like if we shore up the Trench we can be very dangerous. we have the bodies to make it happen, and its time to get back to dominating in the Trench. Also Strength and Conditioning Team and Training staff are huge to me. We need to start turning these boys in to men again. During Pelini tenure i have consistently seen too many of our offensive linemen and everybody for that matter coming in at a certain Weight and Power stats and not advancing beyond that point. we need to get back to putting 20+ pounds of muscle on these boys during a redshirt season. also i feel like we are getting injured too much which i also has to deal with our conditioning. also like the idea of a dedicated special teams coordinator.

• Fire 1

‘Not overnight easy,’ but Riley 
plans to build his staff quickl

“It’s really important, and it’s not an overnight easy thing to do,” Riley said in an interview after his introductory Husker press conference. “If you miss, it causes a lot of anguish, right? So you want to be right and careful. And you want to get it done, but you want to make sure you have all the information before you make a decision, too.

“It’s going to be a really crucial part in our future.”

One name mentioned here that intrigues me is John Garrett, as in Jason, who arrived there this year as OC/QBs.

I'd like Warren retained but they mentioned Oregon State's Rod Perry has 24 years of NFL experience.

It's been discussed elsewhere, but a dedicated ST coach is all but assured. The OSU guy sounds pretty solid.

It sounds like we're going to see a few Oregon State guys, maybe a retention or two but maybe not, probably no Orgeron although maybe Frost, and a few names in a national effort to recruit staff.

So I have a question for some of the staffing gurus on here from other programs. Taking out names, is the structure of the staff that we currently have common at most other schools? Meaning, if we have/had a head coach and 10 assistant coaches under Pelini, is this what others schools often do?

Do other schools have a chief recruiter that doesn't really coach as much as focus on recruiting and player development? And do any schools have a special teams coordinator at the same level as the OC and DC?

With SE's ability to put whatever funds are needed out there, I'm thinking we may not only pay more for the assistants in the structure Pelini had, but we may also grow that structure to include one or two additional roles.

Thoughts?

Does anyone have any answers on this? In my opinion, we need a good structure in place for our staff to succeed, and that might include some new assignments.

So I have a question for some of the staffing gurus on here from other programs. Taking out names, is the structure of the staff that we currently have common at most other schools? Meaning, if we have/had a head coach and 10 assistant coaches under Pelini, is this what others schools often do?

Do other schools have a chief recruiter that doesn't really coach as much as focus on recruiting and player development? And do any schools have a special teams coordinator at the same level as the OC and DC?

With SE's ability to put whatever funds are needed out there, I'm thinking we may not only pay more for the assistants in the structure Pelini had, but we may also grow that structure to include one or two additional roles.

Thoughts?

Now that SE has picked his pony and basically bet his job on this the money will be flowing like water. He said it himself, resources are no object. Earlier this year we weren't about to give Joseph a raise to keep him, won't be seeing that sort of thing anymore. I do think it's a raw deal if SE will give Riley a budget/staff that he'd never give Bo but all the same that we're going for it like this is still for the good of the program. Really looks like we're going balls-out for some big hires.

How do you not hire Orgeron if he's interested?

It's not quite that easy. Yes, Ed O may be interested, but do we know if Riley has any type of relationship with him? Head coaches typically like to hire coaches they are familiar with and have relationships with. Hiring complete strangers is not something they usually do.

Now, maybe Riley got to know Ed O while Ed O was at USC, but who really knows at this point. I just don't want people to be pissed if Ed O isn't hired.

Thoughts?

Now that SE has picked his pony and basically bet his job on this the money will be flowing like water. He said it himself, resources are no object. Earlier this year we weren't about to give Joseph a raise to keep him, won't be seeing that sort of thing anymore. I do think it's a raw deal if SE will give Riley a budget/staff that he'd never give Bo but all the same that we're going for it like this is still for the good of the program. Really looks like we're going balls-out for some big hires.

Bo's was 3 million plus Mike's is less the budget could remain the same just worked a little different . Our OC was over paid you could find a lot of great OC to work for 750.

Thoughts?

Sounds to me like Bo was given the opportunity to use more money for assistants, but chose to stick with his guys. He did say he wouldn't Fire an assistant to keep his job. Plus, Beck was already overpaid.

Thoughts?

Sounds to me like Bo was given the opportunity to use more money for assistants, but chose to stick with his guys. He did say he wouldn't Fire an assistant to keep his job. Plus, Beck was already overpaid.

Bo had his reasons, but i think his strategy and stubborness cost him his job......