Mike Riley's Staff

This was a tweet 4 days ago before UM hired Harbaugh. It has to be directed us since we are the only big ten team looking for a DC at the time:

26 Dec

David Gibbs interviewed w/ #TTU on Tues. for the DC job, but is there a dark horse candidate from #BigTen country? http://t.co/1f1uVn946R

A lot of teams are after david gibbs: A&M, TTU, UNC (rumor), and florida. Would be a huge get if the tweet is directed at NU. Gibbs is from CU, probably friends with rich fisher

This was a tweet 4 days ago before UM hired Harbaugh. It has to be directed us since we are the only big ten team looking for a DC at the time:

26 Dec

David Gibbs interviewed w/ #TTU on Tues. for the DC job, but is there a dark horse candidate from #BigTen country? http://t.co/1f1uVn946R

A lot of teams are after david gibbs: A&M, TTU, UNC (rumor), and florida. Would be a huge get if the tweet is directed at NU. Gibbs is from CU, probably friends with rich fisher
Banker is the DC. We have known this since he was hired

And RF has been let go, so it wouldnt matter if he knows him or not

At this point, I have no gripes about him hiring who he wants, but he has to understand he needs to come here and win. And with a fanbase that is already feeling slighted by the national media because no one is talking about the Riley hire, he needs to buy himself credibility with a legit staff. As other posts have stated these are uninspiring hires, and all have the same theme of Riley's hire that these guys could, NOT CAN, do better at a richer program. But make no mistake potential alone does not build programs.The only definite is if he slips past 4 loses next year, and does not recruit well things will get ugly.

Ameer Abdullah only had potential being the lowest rated RB in the Huskers class. You see how that worked out right?

I really wish people would stop whining about Riley. He's here. He's going to assemble the staff HE THINKS gives him the best shot here. Not the staff WE THINK does. I'm pretty sure he knows more about football than anyone here being that he's coached in 3 different leagues in 2 different countries both professional and college.

An exception to the rule is not the rule, it's an exception. Also notice how I stated "potential alone..." His staff may have potential, but none have made a living in the spotlight of a big program, and that is where the concern is. It may end being unnecessary concern, but right now is is a huge question mark.

At this point, I have no gripes about him hiring who he wants, but he has to understand he needs to come here and win. And with a fanbase that is already feeling slighted by the national media because no one is talking about the Riley hire, he needs to buy himself credibility with a legit staff. As other posts have stated these are uninspiring hires, and all have the same theme of Riley's hire that these guys could, NOT CAN, do better at a richer program. But make no mistake potential alone does not build programs.The only definite is if he slips past 4 loses next year, and does not recruit well things will get ugly.

Ameer Abdullah only had potential being the lowest rated RB in the Huskers class. You see how that worked out right?

I really wish people would stop whining about Riley. He's here. He's going to assemble the staff HE THINKS gives him the best shot here. Not the staff WE THINK does. I'm pretty sure he knows more about football than anyone here being that he's coached in 3 different leagues in 2 different countries both professional and college.

An exception to the rule is not the rule, it's an exception. Also notice how I stated "potential alone..." His staff may have potential, but none have made a living in the spotlight of a big program, and that is where the concern is. It may end being unnecessary concern, but right now is is a huge question mark.

Question marks are fine.

But I'm mostly addressing those that bemoan the lack of big hires as a negative...because I feel that it's not. Riley is building a family and he knows his family. He's not going to go hire Ed O just because fans want him or people say he's a great recruiter...he's going to hire someone that will mesh with the rest of the staff and knows his coaching philosophy.

That doesn't make hiring someone else a bad hire because we have no proof. The proof doesn't come for 250+ days.

I find it entertaining to watch the squabbling over coaches...because we have no right to squabble over who he hires in the beginning. We have no data for them here. Until we do, we have no quantifiable evidence that they'll either succeed or fail. The jury will return after next year and we'll have data with which to question why they're coaches here, why they were hired, and who would be a better fit if they need to be let go. Until then we should just see what he assembles and roll with it.

I understand this. However, I do think it's fair to judge then based on previous history. Is Nebraska the same as Oregon State? No, different dynamics exist. You go off what we do have, however, which isn't great (I do like the O coordinator hire).

The blind optimism that fills fans hearts might do it for the rest of you, but I'm done with it. I watched Auburn gobble up Mushchamp, a guy with a proven defense, and wanted Nebraska to do the same. Because until we see how the staff shakes out, I'm going to judge the staff on their history.

Im done having optimism for optimism sake. Im not going to hope they accomplish things they've never accomplished before (conference titles, great recruiting classes). I was hoping for guys who have already done it. Until that happens, we're left with blind hope, faith and optimism.

I understand this. However, I do think it's fair to judge then based on previous history. Is Nebraska the same as Oregon State? No, different dynamics exist. You go off what we do have, however, which isn't great (I do like the O coordinator hire).

The blind optimism that fills fans hearts might do it for the rest of you, but I'm done with it. I watched Auburn gobble up Mushchamp, a guy with a proven defense, and wanted Nebraska to do the same. Because until we see how the staff shakes out, I'm going to judge the staff on their history.

Im done having optimism for optimism sake. Im not going to hope they accomplish things they've never accomplished before (conference titles, great recruiting classes). I was hoping for guys who have already done it. Until that happens, we're left with blind hope, faith and optimism.

Muschamp to Auburn wasn't just out of the blue, though. He had a previous stint there as DC and has remained popular with people around that program.

I'm not particularly thrilled at the Riley hire, but am OK with giving him and his staff a chance. Given the way some of you act, though, I wonder how many of you have ever paid any attention to coaching changes across the country. What's happening with Riley's staff is completely normal and to be expected by anyone other than those with a delusional expectation that he'll hire a staff of people he doesn't know.

Muschamp to Auburn wasn't just out of the blue, though. He had a previous stint there as DC and has remained popular with people around that program.

I'm not particularly thrilled at the Riley hire, but am OK with giving him and his staff a chance. Given the way some of you act, though, I wonder how many of you have never paid any attention to coaching changes across the country. What's happening with Riley's staff is completely normal and to be expected by anyone other than those with a delusional expectation that he'll hire a staff of people he doesn't know.

I'll give him a chance. I will say this, the guy is positive. I do think the attitude shift will help the program. Nobody can argue the guys character. No more Bo cam on the sidelines, no more audio tapes.

With Harbaugh out in SF, Tom Rathman might be looking for work. Any chance he wants to come home and coach for the Huskers?

he said couple of years ago he'd rather stay out west and really didn't want to come back to Nebraska. Time may have changed that thought but I think he is quite content being an NFL guy. He's pretty respected in the league and opportunities to stay there will probably present themselves