New Coaching Staff: "They must be experts & treat people right."

The Duke

Didn't want to start a new thread, and I don't want to derail this one either. I hope he does get those experts on his staff.

Here's a little article from LATimes. Although it doesn't really add a lot other than what LA thought of this hire.

"Mike Riley shockingly leaves Oregon State for Nebraska"

Riley must have wondered all these years how he would do with USC's talent or, Nebraska's talent. Now he'll find out. His major gift as a coach was taking underdogs and making them better.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-mike-riley-20141204-story.html

Thanks for the article, however, does anyone know where council bluffs nebraska is?

I think enough speculating has gone on and in the end a lot of people looked kind of stupid.

I don't really want to speculate about his staff hires because honestly I have no idea who he has in mind. I can tell you now, I wouldn't mind if Ron Brown was the only former staffer to return. Maybe Charlton Warren but really I think Riley has guys in mind and I'd much rather him find guys who will help establish his style sooner than later.

There are obviously former staff I'd rather never see in Husker Red again. I have a feeling those guys don't fit the new direction anyway so I feel good about Riley doing the right thing. He's been there and done it.

He's done it for YEARS, he knows how to be a HC and a QB coach. I'd be more concerned about a FIRST time HC trying to be a coordinator or a position coach as well. Not a seasoned coach with proven success.

at Oregon State....

not saying your are wrong and he can't do it. its just a different level now.

Also, given how little we knew about Mike Riley, I'm sure he could assemble an excellent staff of extremely qualified coaches without registering a single "big name" that we think we need.

And given the offense Riley has generated at Oregon State with far less material (and mentorship), he's already way ahead of Scott Frost.

This is exactly right.

The number of assistants whose names I know amount to Ed Orgeron and Scott Frost.

There are a ton of coaches out there in the pool. Just like I knew only the names of a few head coach prospects and Riley wasn't included, it doesn't mean whomever he picks won't be good. We'll find out, but name recognition is meaningless.

I for one hope he keeps at least 1 guy, brings at least 3 of his own guys and hires the rest from outside of either programs.

Ideal:

HC: Riley

OC: Frost

DC: Orgeron

OL: his guy

DL: his guy

WR: his guy

DB: Warren

RB: Brown

LB: out of house

ST: his guy

Let me say that I agree about Warren and Brown...and maybe even Orgeron. However this insistence with Frost at OC has got to end.

Yes, he was a great player for us. Yes he is from Nebraska. But let's give the guy a few years with players he has developed himself before we decide he's an excellent coordinator. Let's not forget that Oregon's former offensive coordinator is now the head coach...so how much does Frost really have to do with the offense or the play calling? I'm not sure. I do know that it was clear that Solich wasn't primarily responsible for the Husker offense, and this was evident once Osborne left.

And by the way....there is nothing to indicate Frost would leave to make a lateral move just because he's from Nebraska.

I think he would for twice the money. Hes making 400K at Oregon. If NU throws 800-1.0 at him its certainly plausible. We are saving money on Riley at 2.7 base salary

I for one hope he keeps at least 1 guy, brings at least 3 of his own guys and hires the rest from outside of either programs.

Ideal:

Let me say that I agree about Warren and Brown...and maybe even Orgeron. However this insistence with Frost at OC has got to end.

Yes, he was a great player for us. Yes he is from Nebraska. But let's give the guy a few years with players he has developed himself before we decide he's an excellent coordinator. Let's not forget that Oregon's former offensive coordinator is now the head coach...so how much does Frost really have to do with the offense or the play calling? I'm not sure. I do know that it was clear that Solich wasn't primarily responsible for the Husker offense, and this was evident once Osborne left.

And by the way....there is nothing to indicate Frost would leave to make a lateral move just because he's from Nebraska.

Solich was never an offensive coordinator. He was the running backs coach for years before being named as assistant head coach.

I've read that Frost does indeed call the plays at Oregon and he has input on the game plan each week. Frost is a smart guy and he knows football. Frost has developed players, it's not like he has never been a position coach before.

This will be unpopular but I don't care one bit if if Brown is kept on the staff or not. Here is what I want from each staff member, in order

1. Are you a boss recruiter? Yes/No (If no, thanks, you can see your way out)

So...who cares if they can actually coach.

And...BTW....Brown has recruited some pretty good players to Nebraska.

If you are not a boss at recruiting you are gone...you can be a boss recruiter and a great coach. I am assuming he is already looking at great coaches...they just better be great at recruiting.

That didn't work out all that well for,Billy c. These guys have to coach, too.

I love RB, but i think it may be time for him to work in his ministry full time.

Again...I am assuming they already know how to coach.

That's allot to assume.

Ideal:

Solich was never an offensive coordinator. He was the running backs coach for years before being named as assistant head coach.

Solich spent much of his Nebraska career in the press box, calling down offensive plays to Tom Osborne.

first meeting between riley and paps:

riley: so, mr. papuchis, what is your position on the staff?

paps: oh, i'm the defensive coordinator.

riley: so you call all the plays on Saturday?

paps: no.

riley: oh... but you come up with the game plan?

paps: uhh... no.

riley: so what exactly do you do?

paps: [holds up both hands showing taped fingers]

riley: wha... what are you doing? what is that?

paps: [runs out of the room]

• Fire 9

This will be unpopular but I don't care one bit if if Brown is kept on the staff or not. Here is what I want from each staff member, in order

1. Are you a boss recruiter? Yes/No (If no, thanks, you can see your way out)

So we could just have the coaches use the recruiting line "We don't pay as well as the SEC, but we teach like the NFL"? HAHAHAHA

first meeting between riley and paps:

riley: so, mr. papuchis, what is your position on the staff?

paps: oh, i'm the defensive coordinator.

riley: so you call all the plays on Saturday?

paps: no.

riley: oh... but you come up with the game plan?

paps: uhh... no.

riley: so what exactly do you do?

paps: [holds up both hands showing taped fingers]

riley: wha... what are you doing? what is that?

paps: [runs out of the room]

holy sh#t, that is funny.