New Coaching Staff: "They must be experts & treat people right."

The Duke

I think you need to bank on his DC coming along with him, if Orgeron joins the staff it is going to be as a Dline coach.

I wouldn't bank on him coming to Lincoln. Just a hunch, but I don't see OSU's DC following Coach Riley.

Banker first stepped onto the OSU campus in 1997 with Riley, and has spent 17 of the last 18 seasons with him. Including being the DC with the San Diego Chargers, he's coming with him.

Also, given how little we knew about Mike Riley, I'm sure he could assemble an excellent staff of extremely qualified coaches without registering a single "big name" that we think we need.

And given the offense Riley has generated at Oregon State with far less material (and mentorship), he's already way ahead of Scott Frost.

This will be unpopular but I don't care one bit if if Brown is kept on the staff or not. Here is what I want from each staff member, in order

1. Are you a boss recruiter? Yes/No (If no, thanks, you can see your way out)

So...who cares if they can actually coach.

And...BTW....Brown has recruited some pretty good players to Nebraska.

If you are not a boss at recruiting you are gone...you can be a boss recruiter and a great coach. I am assuming he is already looking at great coaches...they just better be great at recruiting.

That didn't work out all that well for,Billy c. These guys have to coach, too.

I love RB, but i think it may be time for him to work in his ministry full time.

Again...I am assuming they already know how to coach.

Didn't want to start a new thread, and I don't want to derail this one either. I hope he does get those experts on his staff.

Here's a little article from LATimes. Although it doesn't really add a lot other than what LA thought of this hire.

"Mike Riley shockingly leaves Oregon State for Nebraska"

Riley must have wondered all these years how he would do with USC's talent or, Nebraska's talent. Now he'll find out. His major gift as a coach was taking underdogs and making them better.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-mike-riley-20141204-story.html

I think you need to bank on his DC coming along with him, if Orgeron joins the staff it is going to be as a Dline coach.

I wouldn't bank on him coming to Lincoln. Just a hunch, but I don't see OSU's DC following Coach Riley.

Banker first stepped onto the OSU campus in 1997 with Riley, and has spent 17 of the last 18 seasons with him. Including being the DC with the San Diego Chargers, he's coming with him.

The beat writer from The Oregonian just told Benning that she felt Banker was going be fired by Riley and didn't think he'd come to Lincoln. Who knows?

Things I hope for from this staff...

1) a fresh start... there are coaches I like from the old staff, but just feel the whole thing needs to be wiped clean.

2) player development...we see raw talent all over the field... time to refine it.

3) Experienced QB coach. someone that has directly coached upper level college quarterbacks

4) selective recruiting... recruit kids to a system, look for that 4* in a 3* and 5* in a 4*... don't need to be Top 10 classes, but Top 25ish w/great coaching will get it done.

1) a fresh start... there are coaches I like from the old staff, but just feel the whole thing needs to be wiped clean.

2) player development...we see raw talent all over the field... time to refine it.

3) Experienced QB coach. someone that has directly coached upper level college quarterbacks

4) selective recruiting... recruit kids to a system, look for that 4* in a 3* and 5* in a 4*... don't need to be Top 10 classes, but Top 25ish w/great coaching will get it done.

I believe HE will be the QB coach. And history has shown he's darn good at it.

We have one. His name is Mike Riley

I gotcha both.... but I prefer he wasn't. this program needs the head coach to be a CEO.

We have one. His name is Mike Riley

I gotcha both.... but I prefer he wasn't. this program needs the head coach to be a CEO.

He's done it for YEARS, he knows how to be a HC and a QB coach. I'd be more concerned about a FIRST time HC trying to be a coordinator or a position coach as well. Not a seasoned coach with proven success.

I for one hope he keeps at least 1 guy, brings at least 3 of his own guys and hires the rest from outside of either programs.

Ideal:

HC: Riley

OC: Frost

DC: Orgeron

OL: his guy

DL: his guy

WR: his guy

DB: Warren

RB: Brown

LB: out of house

ST: his guy

Let me say that I agree about Warren and Brown...and maybe even Orgeron. However this insistence with Frost at OC has got to end.

Yes, he was a great player for us. Yes he is from Nebraska. But let's give the guy a few years with players he has developed himself before we decide he's an excellent coordinator. Let's not forget that Oregon's former offensive coordinator is now the head coach...so how much does Frost really have to do with the offense or the play calling? I'm not sure. I do know that it was clear that Solich wasn't primarily responsible for the Husker offense, and this was evident once Osborne left.

And by the way....there is nothing to indicate Frost would leave to make a lateral move just because he's from Nebraska.