The Tangent Thread, Dec 2014 Edition

zoogs

Whoever is going to keep a close eye on YSU games can add to it.

So Im guessing this will become The Sker's domain.

Your perception (or guess) could not be further off base. There are posters who have linked YSU sites. I'm not one of them. For the five millionth time, it's not getting rid of Pelini that I care one bit about. The dude needed a Brinks truck to move to Ohio. My issue is with all the talk of the unfathomable resources that Nebraska has, a coach was hired who has not won a single title south of the Canadian border. Instead of the crowd that includes Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Gary Patterson.......we got Mike Riley.

So instead of giving him a chance the logical thing to do is give up before the spring game?

well its only logical that after giving bo 7 years, and being the first in line to give him another 7, hes probably quite burned out on "giving chances"

Your perception (or guess) could not be further off base. There are posters who have linked YSU sites. I'm not one of them. For the five millionth time, it's not getting rid of Pelini that I care one bit about. The dude needed a Brinks truck to move to Ohio. My issue is with all the talk of the unfathomable resources that Nebraska has, a coach was hired who has not won a single title south of the Canadian border. Instead of the crowd that includes Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Gary Patterson.......we got Mike Riley.

So instead of giving him a chance the logical thing to do is give up before the spring game?

In case you're missing my point, here it is. I don't think Mike Riley's resume is worthy of the Nebraska job. However, the man responsible for his hiring did. I would have rather seen Gary Patterson offered, but Nebraska is not a job that can attract an elite candidate. So, we have Mike Riley.

• Fire 2

well its only logical that after giving bo 7 years, and being the first in line to give him another 7, hes probably quite burned out on "giving chances"

Let's stick to Mike Riley discussion.

In case you're missing my point, here it is. I don't think Mike Riley's resume is worthy of the Nebraska job. However, the man responsible for his hiring did. I would have rather seen Gary Patterson offered, but Nebraska is not a job that can attract an elite candidate. So, we have Mike Riley.

He is and he's the best we can get

If we aren't a job that can attract an elite candidate, then what kind of resumé are you expecting a candidate to have?

You sound like the frat dude who's a 6 and gets mad when all of the girls that are 9s and 10s aren't into you, and then turn around and complain about how you're overweight/ugly/socially awkward etc. to all your bros

• Fire 1

You sound like the frat dude who's a 6 and gets mad when all of the girls that are 9s and 10s aren't into you, and then turn around and complain about how you're overweight/ugly/socially awkward etc. to all your bros

The personal attack is appreciated, but my posts are about Mike Riley.

The personal attack is appreciated, but my posts are about Mike Riley.

It's called an analogy, and it was a very good one. Of course I don't expect you to recognize the difference between an analogy and a personal attack. That would be like recognizing the difference between a good football coach and a bad football coach and your track record in that regard has not been impressive.

• Fire 1

So we cant get a top candidate and your mad we didnt hire a top candidate? Kind of puts your personal image of Nebraska in a funny light huh?

Or maybe youre just mad we didnt get the guy you wanted. If Riley wins us a conference title do you really care?

If Riley wins us a conference title do you really care?

No. And I'll be first in line to say I'm glad I was proven wrong. With that said, you'll have a tough time finding any prognosticators who believe Riley will win any kind of a championship at Nebraska.

Well he has yet to coach a game here so writing the possibility off seems silly.

No. And I'll be first in line to say I'm glad I was proven wrong. With that said, you'll have a tough time finding any prognosticators who believe Riley will win any kind of a championship at Nebraska.

Well he has yet to coach a game here so writing the possibility off seems silly.

He has a resume with many years of coaching experience and, with the exception of his time in the CFL, his trophy case is empty.

He has a resume with many years of coaching experience and, with the exception of his time in the CFL, his trophy case is empty.

Youre so hung up on Riley. Its more about the assts. that he hired considering it was reported Riley floated around most of the first two practices and trusted his assts. to do the teaching. That is what a good head coach does. Trusts his assts. I like all of his hires with the jury still out on Banker/Hughes. The administrative assts he hired are top notch and the offensive side of the ball I think is top notch. Bray and Stewart are great hires also.

This is where Pelini failed. Hiring qualified assts and trusting them to teach. Riley will live and die by his assts and I think he made some great hires!

There were perhaps 3 or 4 splash hires to be made this year. Good chance one or more won't make a splash.

Meyer, Saban and Patterson already have jobs. Harbaugh going to Michigan is all about Michigan. That's no slap at Nebraska.

Nebraska does not have "unfathomable resources" but we have very good resources. And we got a very good coach in a very tight market. For every college football insider who calls Riley a question mark, there's another who considers his hiring a coup. And virtually every one tells you not to look at his won/loss record in the simplistic way you're doing.

Remember, that 40 year legacy of Husker greatness was led by coaches who hadn't proved themselve at the level you seem to be demanding.

Throwing a ton of money at a splash hire can also make a program look like a desperate old whore.

I'm good with where we're at.

• Fire 2