The Tangent Thread, Dec 2014 Edition

zoogs

How many top 5 teams did our past coach beat, how many top 20 teams embarrassed us, even non ranked teams embarrassed us.

Keep on dangling.

Aren't you the new lead poster on the Youngstown State forum, they do have one don't they?

Keep on justifying. I don't follow the Youngstown State forum, but thanks for checking. There are a couple of posters on here who provided links to Youngstown State, so others may be better able to answer your question. I'm aware of how big a deal the McNeese State game was to you.....with the frequency you brought it up. But I'm sure it doesn't matter that Riley lost to two FCS schools........
Did Riley lose to 2 FCS schools since hes been at Nebraska? If not, then i dont give a f#*k. Go over tobthe beaver boards if you want to complain about what Riley DID THERE!

Weak

He went home, gets to stick Nebraska for a whole lot of money every month. If he had been offered a top job, doubtful, we would not have owed as much. He did it for a reason. He hates this program, this state, and our fans and has stated so for a very long time. So glad we are rid of him.

And sker, I realize you like the guy, and I realize I am overlooking the Riley past to some extent. Those losses did not affect Nebraska, all of Pelini's actions affected Nebraska. That is the problem. You wanted the guy here, I never did, and some of the reasons have been on display.

I want Riley to succeed, not for Riley, because Nebraska is much larger than the coach, somehow we lost that on the last one. I hope our love for the program returns to Nebraska and how it looks to the college football community, rather than a love affair with a coach that never really cared about it, only the pay check and the possibility of it being a stepping stone to another job.

I could be totally wrong on Riley and will readily admit it if it comes to that. But now he is undefeated and displayed in every way, he truly wants to be here and wants to return Nebraska to the respected level it and it's fans deserve.

If he truly hated NU, he would try to poach the best players from the roster. That hasn't happened. I think he mostly hates the administration, and as you said, by taking the cheap YSU job he can still be employed while draining NU's cash to pay his large buyout

Interesting to see Beck go to one of the top progrums in the nation, and Bo fall all the way to the FCS.

If I was being paid $3+ million as part of a buyout on top of the salary he is getting at Youngstown, I would take a job in my hometown too. It's not a matter of him dropping to FCS, but more his choice to do so.
Wonder which jobs he turned down.

When he basically confirmed during audiogate 1 this was a stepping stone job for him, who would have guessed he was actually looking to take a huge step down?

Just seems counterintuitive.

Less stress, hometown, out of the spotlight he created for himself, still getting paid like a top coach...you're right though it's counter intuitive
Or maybe it was simply the best job he was offered. Occam's razor and such.

Honestly if he can get our top kids to go to Youngstown State, they most likely did not belong here in the first place. I can see kids leaving after spring practice if they do not fall into Coach Riley's plan, and I would not blame them at all. But it would be a huge culture drop it would seem.

I heard some of his comments after not being hired in 2003 and how he operated with players on the team after he left. There was no lover for Nebraska ever stated, quite the opposite.

He took this job as a stepping stone job. It could have worked had he employed people that were qualified, maybe even smarter than he was to help him learn what was needed. He like the guy before him were to stubborn, and felt they were above the program, that we were lucky to have them.

I think also he went home, let the waters calm down. But his attitude, and manor most likely will not allow that.

He may fit in perfectly there with Coach Tressel, a very mild mannered man that will give him guidance. Maybe where he belongs. I honestly could NOT care less.

If he truly hated NU, he would try to poach the best players from the roster. That hasn't happened. I think he mostly hates the administration, and as you said, by taking the cheap YSU job he can still be employed while draining NU's cash to pay his large buyout

To the latter, I think that's the same thing, but I don't blame him (or anyone in any circumstance) for wanting a breather. In his hometown, no less. It makes sense, and I doubt it's permanent.

To the former, yeah, you'd think he would hold a team meeting, let Husker fans pay for the $250 charge he stuck on some Lincoln Public Schools employee for giving him the meeting space, and then say to his team things like, "If you choose not to (stick around), you don't have to. You are free to do whatever the heck you want to do",

and "Because I think you guys feel that. Am I right or wrong? It's a b---- here",

and "I've been to these other places and it ain't quite the scrutiny, the negativity, it aint like that everywhere",

and then, "at the end of the day, it's not a job. This ought to be the best time of your life. Anybody who has in their mind...'Hey, should I go or should I stay?' At the end of the day, what you gotta sit there and think is, 'This is how many years I got left. These ought to be the best years of my life.' And if I dont think it's going to be that way in this place, then you shouldn't stay."

...after a lengthy rant about how happiness-killing Nebraska is.

• Fire 1

He went home, gets to stick Nebraska for a whole lot of money every month. If he had been offered a top job, doubtful, we would not have owed as much. He did it for a reason. He hates this program, this state, and our fans and has stated so for a very long time. So glad we are rid of him.

And sker, I realize you like the guy, and I realize I am overlooking the Riley past to some extent. Those losses did not affect Nebraska, all of Pelini's actions affected Nebraska. That is the problem. You wanted the guy here, I never did, and some of the reasons have been on display.

I want Riley to succeed, not for Riley, because Nebraska is much larger than the coach, somehow we lost that on the last one. I hope our love for the program returns to Nebraska and how it looks to the college football community, rather than a love affair with a coach that never really cared about it, only the pay check and the possibility of it being a stepping stone to another job.

I could be totally wrong on Riley and will readily admit it if it comes to that. But now he is undefeated and displayed in every way, he truly wants to be here and wants to return Nebraska to the respected level it and it's fans deserve.

Great post. Amen.

• 1 month later...

Bush is gonna make a run at it dag gummit

This would be great. If he's the best talent we have at quarterback, then he will set himself apart. However, I don't believe for a minute the talk about Riley adjusting to his personnel. It will be who fits Riley's system.....which is a pro style drop back quarterback. I don't think our running game will be as strong under Riley. (But I'm sure Riley "appreciates" the input from Dr Tom anyway......)

If this was anything new from you, maybe someone would care.

• Fire 5

Whoever is going to keep a close eye on YSU games can add to it.

So Im guessing this will become The Sker's domain.

Your perception (or guess) could not be further off base. There are posters who have linked YSU sites. I'm not one of them. For the five millionth time, it's not getting rid of Pelini that I care one bit about. The dude needed a Brinks truck to move to Ohio. My issue is with all the talk of the unfathomable resources that Nebraska has, a coach was hired who has not won a single title south of the Canadian border. Instead of the crowd that includes Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Gary Patterson.......we got Mike Riley.

Your perception (or guess) could not be further off base. There are posters who have linked YSU sites. I'm not one of them. For the five millionth time, it's not getting rid of Pelini that I care one bit about. The dude needed a Brinks truck to move to Ohio. My issue is with all the talk of the unfathomable resources that Nebraska has, a coach was hired who has not won a single title south of the Canadian border. Instead of the crowd that includes Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Gary Patterson.......we got Mike Riley.

So instead of giving him a chance the logical thing to do is give up before the spring game?

What's Rileys record against those coaches?