Riley, Nebraska, and Recruiting

Junior

But when you look at the level of recruits they were after at corvallis compared to what we need to win championships here. It's a leap.

Oregon St has offered 60 4* or higher recruits per Rivals. I think they are "after" plenty of highly ranked recruits. They just have a harder time getting them. Nebraska also blanket-offers about 70% of the Rivals 100 lately to gauge interest. From the looks of past offer #'s, Riley has far fewer. He might take a different approach and target more

So much for Riley hiring the best assistants, WTF!!! Bringing over alot of his old assistants. It's not looking good! I hope Riley's buy out clause in his contract is cheap, because him and Eichorst will be fired after next year, when we go 3-9. What a waste.

He is bringing 2 on offense, 2 on defense, and 1 Special Teams. This isn't an unreasonable decision for any new coach coming in.

I agree. You can't come into a new place, drop in a completely new staff and expect them to know how you coach and what you expect as a coach. Blending a few new ones with a few old ones is best for continuity of your coaching method.

People need to stop having a meltdown about this.

as long as we understand, he didn't get the best coordinators, he got the ones who knew his system for the sake of a smooth transition......this still looks a bit suspect, we shall see.

So much for Riley hiring the best assistants, WTF!!! Bringing over alot of his old assistants. It's not looking good! I hope Riley's buy out clause in his contract is cheap, because him and Eichorst will be fired after next year, when we go 3-9. What a waste.

He is bringing 2 on offense, 2 on defense, and 1 Special Teams. This isn't an unreasonable decision for any new coach coming in.

I agree. You can't come into a new place, drop in a completely new staff and expect them to know how you coach and what you expect as a coach. Blending a few new ones with a few old ones is best for continuity of your coaching method.

as long as we understand, he didn't get the best coordinators, he got the ones who knew his system for the sake of a smooth transition......this still looks a bit suspect, we shall see.

The best coordinators for who? For you? Or for the system he wants to put in place?

And to top it all off-He hasn't announced ANY coordinators yet.

I think that the new staff is going to find out that recruiting to Lincoln isn't easy. May be more difficult than what they're used to.

Recruiting to Corvallis is far more difficult when you take into consideration the town, facilities, fan support and other resources. Lincoln is going to be easier to recruit to.

I understand.

But when you look at the level of recruits they were after at corvallis compared to what we need to win championships here. It's a leap.

Let us not forget that they are a few hours from California, and we have limited number of quality recruits in the 500 mile radius.

A few hours by jet. Corvallis is 510 miles from Sacramento. There aren't many folks in California north of Sacramento.

Why you gotta harsh on Humboldt County, bro?

You don't think the full-time recruiters have called the recruits and explained the situation? Some of those guys were sold on Bo or just soft commits......that's what happens when you fire a coach........a 9-3 or 10-3 coach. Maybe we can change our attitude and send them positive thoughts about the complete upheaval of their recruiting process?

Another thing.......about a week ago he was recruiting for Oregon State.........this offer came out of left field.....even he thought it was weird.

No, because I'm pretty sure that's against the rules.

@Coach_Riley: Got to speak with some future #Huskers tonight, excited to hit the road and get to recruiting! #GBR

It's pretty obvious people are jumping to conclusions and going overboard with the not calling recruits thing. Riley is a seasoned coach and he is not going to ignore players that are already committed to NU, that would just make his job harder, but also he is not going to call them before he gets a chance to see what they are about and how they will fit into what he wants to do with his offense and defense. Every national analyst is raving about how good of a hire this is and how good and innovative of a recruiter Riley is. Everybody needs to just take a breath and see what this guy is about, what he can get done, and enjoy the ride.

Nyatawa article on "recruits in limbo" posted late last night...

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/football-recruiting-husker-targets-still-in-limbo/article_7480d57c-7e9a-11e4-b5c9-0f933eaa99f7.html

I agree, give the new coach/staff some room. We are a couple days into the new coach, just over a week out from axing the old one. Riley has plenty of time to salvage the class. December's gonna appear to suck with recruits having winter break & time to stew. I am confident it'll start looking good again after the bowl game...

I'd be surprised if Riley's classes at Nebraska are substantially different than Pelini's in terms of the talent we bring in. As different as the two are, I imagine Riley's approach to recruiting is probably very similar to Pelini's: low pressure, no lying or misleading recruits, focus on character and fit. And really that's fine. I rarely felt like we had inadequate talent under Pelini, just that our players too often played fundamentally unsound football.

• Fire 3

I'd be surprised if Riley's classes at Nebraska are substantially different that Pelini's in terms of the talent we bring in. As different as the two are, I imagine Riley's approach to recruiting is probably very similar to Pelini's: low pressure, no lying or misleading recruits, focus on character and fit. And really that's fine. I rarely felt like we had inadequate talent under Pelini, just that our players too often played fundamentally unsound football.

You just can't recruit guys to Nebraska who can wrap up or stay at home on the outside. It's all the players and their genetic inability to execute.

Just like the big 3 in Miami a fee years ago and Cleveland this year. When you bring in a bunch of new faces, even if they are some of the best, it is gonna take awhile for them to get a feel for each other and develop chemistry.

Just like the big 3 in Miami a fee years ago and Cleveland this year. When you bring in a bunch of new faces, even if they are some of the best, it is gonna take awhile for them to get a feel for each other and develop chemistry.

Well the problem is that this is college football in Nebraska and our patience for chemistry is razor thin....

Mike Riley recruited speed to OSU on both ends. Now he needs speed and power in the Big ten not saying his other recruits didn't have power but he may recruit to fit the B1G not the Pac 12. From what I'm seeing on Riley's staff it looks like Ron Brown is staying and so is Charlton Warren but that obviously isn't confirmed. We don't have a D-Line coach so Coach O is still an option and a big time OC. Nussmeir is available, he can recruit buy I would question some of his play calling but everyone questions play calling from all OC mostly at Michigan with all the turnovers, he did stick to running the ball that worked vs Ohio State but the RB got hurt and we all know the rest of that game. I don't care who it is but we need a big time OC if that's Scott Frost fine but from what I have seen he runs a different offense at Oregon and Riley runs a pro style Scott is running the spread. Point is hire Big time staff now that Riley has his Oregon State guys that is why we paid him less we could pay an OC 750k-1 mil if we need to but bring in the right guy not John Garrett.

I think that the new staff is going to find out that recruiting to Lincoln isn't easy. May be more difficult than what they're used to.

Recruiting to Corvallis is far more difficult when you take into consideration the town, facilities, fan support and other resources. Lincoln is going to be easier to recruit to.

I understand.

Let us not forget that they are a few hours from California, and we have limited number of quality recruits in the 500 mile radius.

Meh, I'm not too concerned with it personally. I think Nebraska is a place generally destined to pull in classes falling in the broad range of 15-35. 35 should be a bad year and 15 should be a great year. We'll mostly be made up of three and four stars as we always have been. I think at OSU, Riley was pulling in classes around the 50's. So, with a brand name program and far more resources supporting him, he'll be far more attractive to recruits.

Well, here's a shot at a 1st post.
To put my cards on the table, I started the season as a BOliever, believing that coach Bo had been unfortunate enough to have a good defense OR a good offense, but not both in the same year. I had expected this year to be somewhat different as it looked like the pieces were in place to have both a decent defense and a decent offense at the same time. Unfortunately, after the Wisconsin game I became less enamored of the Bo Pelini staff. After that game, I suspected we would end up losing out, which we should have if Iowa had been just a little bit smarter about not punting directly to our hot shot punt returner. Tom Osborne's words at the firing of coach Bill Callahan started echoing in my brain.
It isn’t just a matter of wins and losses; it’s how you do it... If you lose a fairly large number of games by a significant margin and you have fairly good players, which I think we do, then I think there are some systemic issues. I think the players were treated well. But there was something wrong evidently.

Tom Osborne 2007

So, although I did not favor firing Bo, I understood it and do not oppose it. I also said WTF when I heard through the new coach would be. Will

I have seen a significant amount of angst on the part of some fans along the lines of, "I thought we were going to use vast resources and get 'experts'on the coaching staff (to paraphrase ADSE and HCMR) but so far all we've got are some Oregon State coaches and an Oregon State commit flip. This an upgrade?"
I would simply offer this. I think it is unreasonable to expect the new coach to put together a staff over a weekend by offering positions to people he probably doesn't know that well. What I would expect him to do is bring a few of his old staff along, ones that he is comfortable with either from a coaching standpoint or recruiting standpoint or both. I would expect him to make offers to a few select players that he has already recruited that he feels may fit at the new place and then quickly evaluate the current commits to see how they fit with what he wants to do. I would expect him then to spend the major part of the week recruiting until the dead period starts again prior to the bowls. At that point, I would expect him to reach out to other coaches that he would like to bring on board that have not been on his previous staff. I think it would be foolish for him to hire an assistant without having the opportunity to take a look at their body of work and interview them to see how they "fit." Hiring several assistants without adequately vetting them 1st seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
My $0.02. No. I don't have any coaching experience above youth level softball and baseball, but I have been involved in hiring decisions and I know that it is just as important that the staff works well together as it is that they have skills. If either one of those ingredients is missing, the product tends to suck.
  • Fire 2