Gary Anderson leaves Wisconsin to replace Mike Riley at Oregon State

knapplc

Some of the thread titles on BadgerNation:

"How about Bill Callahan" (LOL. I sh#t you not. This is an actual thread on BuckyNation. LINK)

I feel sort of sorry for the Badger fans. Well, not really. :lol:

Oh man. What if they did? Just for fun --

Callahan really just had one bad year at Nebraska, and took the punishment that comes with allowing such a void of leadership to persist through 2007. Imagine if Sam Keller had never transferred in, though...

His expertise is undeniable. His experience is vast, and he's well respected in coaching circles. He's especially great with OL (gulp). He's a relentless recruiter (but would he be willing to put up with Wisconsin?) And he certainly knows a lot of guys.

I mean, what if he went there, maximized recruiting to Madison, kept their current DC, and hired a more seasoned and veteran Shawn Watson over to develop their QBs and run their offense? What if, in his second chance, he resurrects the Badgers and delivers Nebraska its comeuppance?

I think I'd cry. And Husker football would collapse on itself before we would be willing to say the words, "If only we hadn't fired Callahan in 2007." That would be unimaginably horrible.

Yeah, I could see Callahan being successful somewhere as a HC. He wasn't a bad coach. And I think his staff was pretty decent--with the notable exception of Kevin Cosgrove, that is. Callahan and his staff did a fine job pulling in talented recruits. I think his biggest downfall was his inability to woo the local media. Due mostly, I think, to his ego. Once the hostile media smelled blood in the water it was only a matter of time. Pelini suffered from some of this too.

Sounds like Wisconsin will be fine. A Wisconsin beat writer Jeff Potrykus seems to feel Paul Chryst hire is imminent, and he's even discussing former Wisconsin assistants that are likely to be brought back: Joe Rudolph (TEs coach, now OC at Pitt) and Bob Bostad (OL).

Joe Rudolph was TEs coach at Nebraska in 2007.