3-4 Defense

Warrior10

Let's talk some football! During the Davis' twins meeting tonight there was some talk of an 3-4 front. What do you guys think? I don't mind the defense, but we don't have the depth for it at LB'er next year IMO. Our top group + a few would be fine, but after that you are running out of bodies. Your thoughts, Banker has usually ran a 3-4 IIRC. I could see guys looking like this:

Nose:

VV - JR

Maurice - JR

Kevin Williams - SR

DE:

Collins - JR

Moss - JR?

McMullen - JR

Newell - RSFR

Natter - RSSOPH

KDavis - FR

CDavis - FR

Stoltenberg - RSFR

Neal - FR

OLB:

Newby - RSSOPH

CLove - RSSoph...could be ILB

Bando - JR....could be ILB

Sedrick King - RSFR

Rueben Jones - FR

Tyrin Ferguson - FR

ILB:

Rose - Soph

Santos - SR

Walton - FR...could go OLB I think.

• Fire 1

I'd think Bando would be an ILB and Newby/Love would be ideal OLBs in this scheme, but then you'd have two inexperienced starters on the outside. I just remember back, though, to Love getting some pub for being a real handful off the edge in the spring.

We'd certainly have a logjam somewhere with the LBs though.

And it all depends what type of 3-4 Banker likes to run. Sometimes, you have a more pure pass rusher as one of your OLBs and a guy who's a bit more well-rounded on the other side who can handle pass coverage if needed. I honestly have no idea what Banker is going to try to run since I haven't watched enough OSU film.

^

If he's your teams best rusher you would.

Wiscy runs a true 3-4. If I'm not mistaken so does Bama and FSU just to name a few. It will be interesting to see how these guys particularly the linebackers respond to this new coaching staff. They need to play better. If not switching to a 3-4 is going to be rough. Then again maybe with a new coaching staff a 3-4 could be just the thing they need. Makes me kind of nervous thinking about it.

Forgot Gangwish. Although he'd really be in some tough competition at DE where I am not sure he'd see as much time.

I actually looked at Wisky's guys sizes just to get a better feel of about what sizes are needed at the positions in the BIG10.

I'd prefer us to stay at 4-3 too, for now.

I know in the Davis Twins article it alluded to Banker having a 3-4.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/10/7359965/mike-riley-nebraska-head-coach-recruiting-strategy

Pretty good article describing both Riley's offensive and Banker's defensive philosophies in a simple way.

From that and other searching I've done, Banker ran a 4-3 in OSU most recently. Their Rivals site lists a 4-3 depth chart.

I'd be willing to bet a good amount Banker may use some 3-4 looks but will have a base 4-3 defense, at least for now. If we can see it's what our personnel are better suited for, he can as well. I like the idea of a... multiple defense *** throws up in mouth ***. It can confuse the offense, as opposed to our multiple offense, which mainly, well, confused the offense.

• Fire 1

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/10/7359965/mike-riley-nebraska-head-coach-recruiting-strategy

Pretty good article describing both Riley's offensive and Banker's defensive philosophies in a simple way.

From that and other searching I've done, Banker ran a 4-3 in OSU most recently. Their Rivals site lists a 4-3 depth chart.

I'd be willing to bet a good amount Banker may use some 3-4 looks but will have a base 4-3 defense, at least for now. If we can see it's what our personnel are better suited for, he can as well. I like the idea of a... multiple defense *** throws up in mouth ***. It can confuse the offense, as opposed to our multiple offense, which mainly, well, confused the offense.

Gee thanks. You made me throw up on my keyboard, dammit