What makes you like Husker football?

ericdolph

I was born a fan of Husker Football by the grace of God.

One of my first memories of the Huskers was how elated everyone was that we had finally beaten Oklahoma under Tom Osborne. I think I was 8. I remember how pissed off everyone was when we had to play them in the Orange Bowl for the second time that year.

I remember when Osborne made the switch to the Option offense, and how everyone thought it would be so great because it was more like what Oklahoma was doing with their Wishbone.

I remember when I had to split wood as a kid, me and a sledgehammer & wedges and a pile of wood out in the backyard, draping the extension cord through the back garage door out to the old plastic AM radio with the back missing, sitting it on a spare log and listening to Lyell Bremser and later Kent Pavelka calling games. Most games kicked off at 1pm those days and I could listen to the Huskers all afternoon.

My fandom was set in stone during the 1983 season. The dismantling of Minnesota, where it seemed every play resulted in a touchdown. The Oklahoma win, then the Miami game. How it seemed so hopeless at the end, then we scored and needed the extra point for the tie to win the National Championship, but Osborne went for two and Miami played it perfectly, and I remember how crushing it was to see the pass tipped away. I think the smaller you are the greater the hurt when your team loses, and that game hurt more than any other in my life.

• Fire 5

The N on the helmet, the sea of red, the blackshirts, Go Big Red chants, all the great I-Backs and fullbacks, Tom Osborne, Memorial Stadium, red beers, shake -n- bake chicken on game days, maybe some corn on the cobb & French fries or wings, Huskerboard, and of course, the great "Cornhuskers" nickname. I'm sure there is other stuff too.

*Note: shake n bake is optional, but hey it's pretty good stuff :lol:

I remember listening to the games on the radio outside and playing football with my brothers and pretending we were certain husker players. My 1st game was okie at home, seeing the boz. We lost, but man that was fun. For me it was every sat, no matter where I was at, I had to wear red and proudly cheer on the big red.

It is a rite of passage to pass that kind of passion to my kids...and I have. Players, coaches come and go..but the N will always be there.

• Fire 1

I was born a fan of Husker Football by the grace of God.

One of my first memories of the Huskers was how elated everyone was that we had finally beaten Oklahoma under Tom Osborne. I think I was 8. I remember how pissed off everyone was when we had to play them in the Orange Bowl for the second time that year.

I remember when Osborne made the switch to the Option offense, and how everyone thought it would be so great because it was more like what Oklahoma was doing with their Wishbone.

I remember when I had to split wood as a kid, me and a sledgehammer & wedges and a pile of wood out in the backyard, draping the extension cord through the back garage door out to the old plastic AM radio with the back missing, sitting it on a spare log and listening to Lyell Bremser and later Kent Pavelka calling games. Most games kicked off at 1pm those days and I could listen to the Huskers all afternoon.

My fandom was set in stone during the 1983 season. The dismantling of Minnesota, where it seemed every play resulted in a touchdown. The Oklahoma win, then the Miami game. How it seemed so hopeless at the end, then we scored and needed the extra point for the tie to win the National Championship, but Osborne went for two and Miami played it perfectly, and I remember how crushing it was to see the pass tipped away. I think the smaller you are the greater the hurt when your team loses, and that game hurt more than any other in my life.

You are dead on Knap. You touched on my two worst days as a Husker Fan. First second time around with the Sooners. We had had a miraculous win over a superior team with Billy Sims, Thomas Lott and Kenny King running the bone. Then the slap in the face from the Orange Bowl and having to play them again. But my worst night was losing to Miami on their home field in '83. It would be fun to have a couple beers sometime and share memories of being a Husker Fan.

My proudest moment was when TO went for the 2. We don't kiss our sister in Nebraska.

My best moments: JR taking it to the house in '71, total domination of Minnesota in '83 and winning about $450. from the Minnesota idiots here in Sioux Falls and of course TO's first NC and rubbing Miami's nose in the dirt in the 4th Qtr., and finally blowing the doors off of the Fun and Gun for TO's 2nd NC.

T_O_B

I 'married' into the Husker family as my hubbie was born-bred-bleeds Nebraska. I'm from Missouri but never really followed the Tigers. (I'm a Bearcat from Northwest Missouri State University-Once a Bearcat ALWAYS a Bearcat!) It was the 1983 season that hooked me. I remember having to go back to my job after we lost that heartbreaker against Miami in MOURNING! After that I was hooked and have been a fan ever since. It is a PRIVILEGE to be a Husker fan.

GO BIG RED!!! (And it's been a blast being part of the Huskerboard Family since 2007! Thanks for all your hard work Knap!)

• Fire 1

Growing up in Nebraska, Grand Island, for me, being a Husker football fan was in my families blood. Before being televised, we listened to all the play by plays on the radio. I was young and I vaguely remember the Devaney years but I remember some of his days he was a little liquered up. Ha Ha Good ole Devaney. It was the Tom Osborne years. I worked with his red-headed son at Gallop for about a year. He sure was a brat. In my early 20's I took the games more serious and started going to the home games. Nothing like being in the crowd and watching Tommie Frazier run it in for 6 or seeing Eric throw one in for a TD. Going to the Side Track and drinking red beers before the game started then walking to the stadium. My biggest disappointment was the lost by the Longhorns by a mere 2 pts. We about had them too. I've met some of the most amazing people that remain friends today. Funny is the keyword in meeting good people, the beer, ribs, and tailgating just gave the ultimate Husker experience. Even with the shake up with Pelini and hiring of Riley, I'm a Husker faithful and will remain one till I quit breathing. (literally)

My first memory is the missed field goal in 1993. Mainly because that was my first understanding of what it meant to be on the bad side of being a fan. I was crushed. I was only 7 at the time, but man, I was crushed.

Ever since then, I was hooked though. There have been some crazy special moments since then.

I never felt so proud to call a person my favorite player than when Tommie Frazier ran his tackle breaking TD against Florida in the Fiesta Bowl. It just always seemed like special things like that happened to us since then because we had that red N on our helmet. And things kept happening to make me believe that.

I never got more angry and cranky due to a football game like did for the 1997 Missouri game. I just couldn't understand why we were allowing a team like Missouri hang with us. But then the final TD. That was beyond my comprehension of how it happened. But it was special.

I then went to the Oklahoma State vs. Nebraska game at Arrowhead. My first football game outside of Memorial Stadium. It was loud. And boy, that was a great game! It came down to the wire. I was worried we were going to lose, considering OKSt was a yard or two from scoring the game winning TD. But the final play, they handed off to the RB. but Mike Rucker went in there and stopped him in his tracks. GAME OVER. I never experienced an eruption of crowd noise like that.

I went to a Colorado game in 2000. It was a close game we were down by 1 point with 10 seconds left. It was a long field goal. But they ran a pass play, Crouch found Newcombe and he ran out of bounds. Brown came in and made the game winning FG to win the game.

Also, we all know about the Westercatch. That was special too. It took a lot for that team to be in that position. And they did it.

I went to a summer camp one year, and didn't learn anything new. I did, however, meet this guy who was a freshman that no one knew. He was a new QB and he was there to teach us how to pitch the ball. He was good and was super nice to me. A month later, I went to Fan Day at Memorial Stadium and got a ton of autographs. When I went to get his, he specifically remembered me and my name. That was so cool!! I made sure to follow his career from that point on. Which was easy, because he went on to win the Heisman in 2001.

My Tommie Frazier that I have had since Christmas 1995 is still in immaculate condition. I retired it this year, I plan on getting it signed and framed, and upgraded to Abdullah's jersey. It took a special player to do that, but after watching his game winning TD against McNeese State, it sealed the deal.

Now, I am a freak about Nebraska. I am a season ticket holder and love game days.

Win or lose. I watch each and every game until the very end. It isn't as hard as it used to be during the losses (going to college during the Callahan years will do that to you) but I am absolutely elated when we win.

Too many special memories not to love Nebraska.

Nothing "makes" me like husker football... it's the most natural thing I will ever do in my lifetime. As a life-long Husker fanatic who was exposed to Husker football from the day I was brought into this world, liking Husker football is the most natural feeling thing I will ever do in my life! I live, breathe, and bleed Husker Red and forever will do so!

It's as close to being genetically pre-disposed to liking something without actually being, that I can think of? Or, am I? :unsure: Hmmmm?