OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Revoke this man's buyout in violation of a disparagement and anti-compete clause.

I hope you don't give legal advice.

There is not a non-disparagement clause in Bo Pelini’s contract w/Nebraska that can affect his buyout.

I've never been under a contract that had a non-disparagement agreement in it - but I've always had one in place. They are never in my contracts, always in the employee handbook or other things that I sign that are more "stock" to every employee. Things like the anti-harassment, code of ethics, yada, yada. So just because it isn't in his contract wouldn't necessarily mean he didn't sign other things that included it. While my contracts remain in place for multiple years, I usually have to acknowledge those agreements yearly and sign for them as they are modified.

Um, no. He said to do what's best for you, whether it be stay or go. What about the part he said give the new guy a chance? Yeah, that sure sounds like he is trying to get them to transfer out of Nebraska.

He clearly didn't like SE, obviously. And I can understand an argument where he should have kept that to himself.

But to sit there and say Bo is horrifying, has a plan to take NU down, wants to trash the program is laughable.

And if you are hurt by his language, there are several bible groups and book clubs you can join. Get with reality man. A lot worse stuff is said in locker rooms on a daily basis.

I'm not personally hurt by his language, and I've no interest in bible groups. I'm upset, as a NU fan, that this is how he treats NU, and that we ever let him be the guy that coaches NU players. Having been revealed, he ought to be seen for what he was.

Not everything he said was bad, sure. Bo didn't need to attempt to transfer his own frustrations with this place and all his demons on his players. We'll have to agree to disagree on the acceptability of all that.

Couple things...it is a bit funny that right now the players are "kids" but when they are seniors in high school and give a verbal and then back out they are "adults and should know better"

Secondly, they are fine, there is no brainwashing...there will be a few that hate Riley but that is always the case at all levels...New coach is different than old coach, I will hate him at first...just like at your jobs...New boss is not the old boss, I hate him at first. It happens.

It is all fine...unless they lose games...we all know that.

• Fire 1

Brainwashing is a scary thing.

Agreed. SE is a master of that. We are supposed to believe he is a good judge of head football coaching ability after his great pick at Miami? Yeah real stud AD.

Tom Osborne has hired more failures than Eichorts.

Just thought I'd throw it out there since youre gonna be delusional enough to judge a guy's entire future career based on one hire-THAT IS NOT YET A FAILURE-in his first 4 years in his chair.

Get of the soapbox bud. You aint winnin this battle. It's over. Youre fighting a losing cause.

• Fire 2

I dont think we are too far off from being a B10 championship team, just a few obvious changes...stop the outside run, and coach up the QB a bit more. Hopefully Riley can improve those two areas. Bo ranting I could care less about, it was supposed to be private woopty doo. I wish Riley and Bo great success. I lean more towards winning now with Riley so hopefully this is not a Bill Callahan experiment version 2. One other thing, I do feel like if Riley is not very successful then SE should be on the hotseat for firing a 9 win coach and gambling on someone who perhaps a large part of the fan base does not seem to be behind. Winning is all that really matters...lol end rant

• Fire 1

I could have gone either way with the Pelini firing

There were very reasonable reasons he should have been fired

There were reasonable arguments for having him retained

Lots of things I liked about Bo, lots of things I didn't like about him

I said I would WAIT to determine my feelings or support/disagreement on the firing based on HOW BO RESPONDED and HANDLED THE EXIT

Well, he made my decision for me

While Im thankful he "stabilized" the program after Callahan, but he created a toxic environment under his watch that was unhealthy, destructive, childish and unwise

The signed picture I have of him with him looking over the stadium with Osborne and Devaney photoshoped into the background will be tossed in the trash

We deserve better- he is a disgrace to our state, our storied football program, coaching in general, himself and his family

One of the least self aware people I've ever met

Disappointing

In the end this childish tirade is a national embarrassment for NU

NU fans for the most part are supportive, courteous, knowledgeable and patient. Many like me supported Bo, were VERY uncomfortable with many of the things he did, but were on the fence about his firing.

He REVEALED his true nature for all to see- now all of those like me who were on the fence will be supportive of the regime change and look forward to seeing what a different approach might yield.

you just now figuring that sh#t out , little slow on the uptake there.

Couple things...it is a bit funny that right now the players are "kids" but when they are seniors in high school and give a verbal and then back out they are "adults and should know better"

Secondly, they are fine, there is no brainwashing...there will be a few that hate Riley but that is always the case at all levels...New coach is different than old coach, I will hate him at first...just like at your jobs...New boss is not the old boss, I hate him at first. It happens.

It is all fine...unless they lose games...we all know that.

Yeah, funny how that works. People here have blind faith to UNL. If a kid were to transfer, they would write "good luck" on a message board then never hear or speak about the kid again.

Bo, on the other hand, has absolutely zero loyalty to UNL, as they just canned him, and literally only cares about his players. Bo honestly doesn't care one bit what people in Onaha and Lincoln think of him anymore. Why should he?

So, when you get two groups with such opposite biases, agreement is impossible.

Bo never gave one sh#t about any of us to begin with. Going all the way back to December, 2007. As a Bo guy to the very bitter end, this was always conflicting issue with me. All he had to do was embrace us. Hell, frickin Callahan embraced us. He spent the first couple years preachin constantly how great and fun it was here. Bo was a dick from the get go. He burned the bridge with the media aside from Sipple almost immediately. Never did anything to reach out to the state. Yeah, he's not from here. I get that. But as a college head coach, it's something that's part of the job.

• Fire 1

As AD, I think so. But as he noted, it's not the first time he was involved within an athletic department during a football coaching hire (Spurrier at SC, and also mentioned Wisconsin) and it's not the first time he's hired a coach at a big-time program (he mentions Larrañaga at Miami for basketball).

Agreed. SE is a master of that. We are supposed to believe he is a good judge of head football coaching ability after his great pick at Miami? Yeah real stud AD.

Kirby Hocutt is the name of the former Miami AD who hired Al Golden.

So this is SE first D1 college football hire? I guess it all rides on this then.

By all means, don't let the facts change your opinion.

I do believe that you have outed yourself.

To the people that say they don't like Eichorst as the AD because he's not "hands on" and just "sits in his office behind a desk" need to look at other programs around the country. ADs are not coaches and don't need to be involved in any aspect of it. Coaches are hired to do that.

• Fire 3