OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

I also disagree that this "speech" was a slanderous rip job of the University. Bo called out TWO individuals that he didn't like and tore them apart. He never said anything negative about the school. And in my opinion trashing a school's AD doesn't equate to trashing a school. Everyone who's saying how he is attacking NU is off the mark, in my opinion.

guessing you didn't read the full transcript?

Its a culmination of the negativity. I understand, you guys are human. That is why I talked to you guys constantly. Last game you guys just said f#*k it lets play and you at least played free. That is my advice to you guys that come back. You can't let this place eat you up, because if you let it, it will eat you up. I have been LSU, I have been at Oklahoma, I been to these other places...the scrutiny, it ain't like that everywhere.

You gotta fight that fellas, you gotta just go play and enjoy this thing because at the end of the day, its not a job. It oughta be the best time of your life. Any of you guys have on your mind do I want to go or stay? At the end of the day you gotta sit there and think this is how many years I got left, these gotta be the best of my life. If you don't think this is the best place then you shouldn't stay.

Where's the rip job? That Nebraska has more scrutiny than LSU or Oklahoma? Who here disagrees with that? He follows that up with "If you don't think this is the best place then you shouldn't stay." Like I said previously, that's sound advice at any time.

I'll disagree with that. At OU they went 12-1, losing in the championship game. At LSU they had a new coach (honeymoon period) and went 11-2, 11-2, 12-2 with a championship that last game. There's a lot less scrutiny when you win. I guarantee if he'd have hung around there and lost to just about every single ranked team they played, he'd have felt at least as much scrutiny.

You disagreed by saying there was less scrutiny there because they were winning? Which in effect means that he was telling the truth?

I'm saying he was at LSU and OU when they were at or very near the top. Everything was rosy. Scrutiny comes in times like when you get run over for 408 yards by one player. Things would've been just as harsh at LSU and OU, maybe more so, had that happened there while he was there. Times weren't comparable to his tenure at Nebraska.

I would really love to ask Bo if complaining about his old job and trashing his old boss "in private", behind someone's back are the actions of a "grown ass man".

Yes...it is the actions of basically all of us.

Who here has NOT bitched about their boss or ex-boss or co-workers to their friends, family and so on. We have all done it...every single one of us.

I am glad he is gone and I have no idea what Riley will do...but lets not start acting like we don't complain about our jobs, bosses and co-workers from time to time.

Just this last month I have said "I hate her", "That person is annoying" "What a loser" "God, I wish they would stay out of my business" about co-workers and the like.

How do you feel about him lying about the circumstances of Osborne's departure?

I don't believe for one second that he lied about that. Did he go off the rails in other areas? Yeah. But, there was quite a bit of smoke regarding Harvey when Osborne abruptly announced his retirement. Harvey has quite the ego, and we know Tom won't throw anyone under the bus.

So you think Osborne is lying?

He resigned in leu of being forced out. It's a technicality, but it's not a lie.

. . .

I don't trust Harvey at all, and I have little trust in Shawn.

This is about as clear cut as it gets. One of these people is lying. You can decide for yourself who is more trustworthy.

You know, when they forced Coach Osborne out, and that is what happened....he got forced out. - Bo Pelini

I wasnt forced out. I resigned. And thats the end of the story. - Tom Osborne

. . . TO being a man of untouchable character is laughable. . ..

Good thing no one said that then, eh?

I would really love to ask Bo if complaining about his old job and trashing his old boss "in private", behind someone's back are the actions of a "grown ass man".

Isn't in private where most people complain about their jobs and bosses? haha I'm just saying... :)

Also, OMG SO MANY EMOTICONS! A whole new world has been opened up.

I also disagree that this "speech" was a slanderous rip job of the University. Bo called out TWO individuals that he didn't like and tore them apart. He never said anything negative about the school. And in my opinion trashing a school's AD doesn't equate to trashing a school. Everyone who's saying how he is attacking NU is off the mark, in my opinion.

Its a culmination of the negativity. I understand, you guys are human. That is why I talked to you guys constantly. Last game you guys just said f#*k it lets play and you at least played free. That is my advice to you guys that come back. You can't let this place eat you up, because if you let it, it will eat you up. I have been LSU, I have been at Oklahoma, I been to these other places...the scrutiny, it ain't like that everywhere.

You gotta fight that fellas, you gotta just go play and enjoy this thing because at the end of the day, its not a job. It oughta be the best time of your life. Any of you guys have on your mind do I want to go or stay? At the end of the day you gotta sit there and think this is how many years I got left, these gotta be the best of my life. If you don't think this is the best place then you shouldn't stay.

Where's the rip job? That Nebraska has more scrutiny than LSU or Oklahoma? Who here disagrees with that? He follows that up with "If you don't think this is the best place then you shouldn't stay." Like I said previously, that's sound advice at any time.

I'll disagree with that. At OU they went 12-1, losing in the championship game. At LSU they had a new coach (honeymoon period) and went 11-2, 11-2, 12-2 with a championship that last game. There's a lot less scrutiny when you win. I guarantee if he'd have hung around there and lost to just about every single ranked team they played, he'd have felt at least as much scrutiny.

You disagreed by saying there was less scrutiny there because they were winning? Which in effect means that he was telling the truth?

I'm saying he was at LSU and OU when they were at or very near the top. Everything was rosy. Scrutiny comes in times like when you get run over for 408 yards by one player. Things would've been just as harsh at LSU and OU, maybe more so, had that happened there while he was there. Times weren't comparable to his tenure at Nebraska.

I know what you meant. I was just pointing out that what Bo said could actually be true. The scrutiny was less intense. I understand it would be ratcheted up if they experienced what we had.

Who here has NOT bitched about their boss or ex-boss or co-workers to their friends, family and so on. We have all done it...every single one of us.

I am glad he is gone and I have no idea what Riley will do...but lets not start acting like we don't complain about our jobs, bosses and co-workers from time to time.

Just this last month I have said "I hate her", "That person is annoying" "What a loser" "God, I wish they would stay out of my business" about co-workers and the like.

But have you said them to people you are being paid to set a good example for? (cause that's a pretty important job of a college coach...I mean they sell it to the parents)

But have you said them to people you are being paid to set a good example for? (cause that's a pretty important job of a college coach...I mean they sell it to the parents)

Yes...all of us have in one way or another...

Think of if you have kids and how many times you have said something "bad" in front of your kids about another family member or a friend or a neighbor...

Let me say this...I look at what Bo did the same as I do these things...

1. Driving with your kids and you swear at another driver

2. Picking your kids up from school and complaining about their teacher/school/principal

3. Watching a game with your kids and swearing at the TV/coach/players/refs

That is just for me...I look at those as all the same thing and not that big of a deal

• Fire 1

I know what you meant. I was just pointing out that what Bo said could actually be true. The scrutiny was less intense. I understand it would be ratcheted up if they experienced what we had.

Yeah, it was technically true, but misleading to the players, IMO

And I believe getting kicked out of the AAU wasn't something Harvey could control.

I know a former highly placed administrator that knows otherwise . . . and it's all in writing.

That's why I said I believe. I thought us getting kicked out of the AAU was due to UNL and UNMC being treated as separate campuses and therefore the research done at UNMC didn't add to the research being done at UNL.

I'll admit to not knowing much (or anything) about this, just that we were kicked out. I remember reading something like what I said above, but that was years ago and I didn't know how credible the article was at the time.

I'd be eager to read a PM about this though, if you wouldn't mind.

World of difference between bad mouthing someone (boss, former boss, mother-in-law, etc) in private with another person or two and having a MEETING consisting of a large group of people as pretty much a captive audience and doing it.

What if you work with 3 people...and you complain to one of them about the other...calling the one that is not present a bunch of names...is that a world of difference? You are ripping the guy to 33% of the company

And trust me...I am not saying I am right and you are wrong...I am just saying that I think we all do this kind of stuff to some degree. I also don't care at all...What Bo did bothered me 0%...just like his firing me bothered me 0%...

there is absolutely not less scrutiny at those programs. Hell Lsu fans wanted Pelini out when we hired him because they gave up lots of points to a couple teams even though they were national champs