Which recent Husker era do you wish never happened?

Sparker

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This has to be a joke, right?

Comparing Pelini to Callahan is so stupid.

Callahan was far more toxic for this program.

Not anymore.

Pelini won games

Callahan didnt.

I get Pelini was a bit of a nut case and lost the games that mattered compared to Callahan who lost almost all games.

I understand your point that because of the recordings, and Pelini sideline demeanor and how we got blown out(assume this is where you think it is close with Pelini/Callahan), but that doesnt match up to what Callahan did to drive this program in to the ground.

Callahan didn't drive this program into the ground.

Further, in 2007, this general press around us was that we were down but we would get it righted.

I'd take that over the way Bo looks and how he made us look over the past 24 months any day. We're a glorified twitter joke.

C'mon man. Callahan gave us our first losing season in how many years? And he did it twice in four seasons.

If you want to argue Pelini was a more toxic person, I'd agree, but Callahan was worse for the program as a whole. Pelini was known to sh*t the bed against ranked competition but Callahan was no better. (Probably worse) Going 4-10 against ranked competition and the highest ranked opponent he beat was #20 Michigan in a bowl game. In that respect the two are quite similar but 5-7 and 5-6 sound like 'drove into the ground' to me.

Edit- I'd rather be a joke on twitter than a joke on the field.

It's way more than wins and losses. That's what I'M getting at. I mentioned Callahans significant shortcomings on the field, but there was nothing in regards to the disconnect and just the straight up "WHAT THE HELL" feeling I have now. I dont know. Maybe that's just a result of me being one to very passionately defending Bo as the coach up unitl the Wisconsin game or so, and then continuing to do so as a person, even though it was obvious his coaching ability was all but shot, and then to have that kicked into my nuts too. Callahan never did sh#t like what Bo's done to us. And Callahan tried to embrace fans and such. He did. It just wasnt a fit from an overall management standpoint they way he did things. I dont even think it was bad in terms of Nebraska. I just think Callahans way of operating was just something that doesnt work in college football. It's not as much of a business as the NFL he was accustomed too. All Callahan did was lose, lose often, and lose ugly. Yeah, that made it "feel" toxic, but the way Bo was able to come in, hit the refresh button, and in less than two full seasons, have a generational talent on defense, best defense in the nation, playing at a level that couldve competed with anyone in the nation, shows that Callahan left nothing behind that was even a fraction as toxic as what I FEAR that Bo has. Sure this is just opinions vs opinions, but it's how I feel. Time will tell.

If I had said half the stuff that was from the Bo recordings when I was a kid, my dad would've slapped me so hard I would've looked like the imfamous Eric Crouch facemask for a week. But Bo's remarks distance him from the program more than they define it. There have been colleges with scandals that are far worse than what we're dealing with. And we hired the right guy IMO to deal with it.

Good points. But youre missing the point I'm trying to make. Or maybe Im just not clear enough about it.

It's not even about Bo's demeanor and rep. it's about the culture he has built over the past few years. How does it get corrected. it's not a Nebraska rep' issue. it's basically a lockerroom issue and how it relates to performance on the field and connection with the fanbase. Both are extremely toxic right now. But my fear is that its so strongly engrained that as criticism of Bo increases, and elation of his departure becomes more widespread in both intensity and numbers, that the players will continue to hunker down on the side of Bo and not the program. That is my fear. And i think it's pretty damn legit.

We didnt have this sh#t with Callahan. All we had was a pretty talented bunch was pretty damn aware they were being ill-coached and not developed. It showed because under the new staff, the team showed immediate and significant improvement, and within 2 years, to a near-elite level.

I think that depends on the maturity level of our team as a whole and the leaders and captains. Current and future. With guys like AA and Rose, I feel like transition into next year will be mostly painless. I just feel we have enough high character guys on the team to overcome any kind 'toxic barriers' that remain.

yup, the air should clear pretty quickly now......by late spring, for sure.

Screw the coaches. Screw the people involved.

Let's talk about the teams. Let's talk about the special moments I had, the proud moments I had being a Husker fan.

There are tons more during the Bo era than in the Callahan era.

C's teams: There are only 3 special moments I can think of right now. There might be more, but not very much more. You could argue "well, it's been longer since then" but I can remember A LOT of special memories I had during the Solich era that will live with me forever. First one is the last second victory against A&M. No one ran the two minute O better than Zac Taylor, and we won the game. Taking the lead against #5 Texas at home in the snow. Well, it wasn't legitly snowing. That ruined by Nunn's fumble. Lastly, LeKevin Smith's interception against Texas Tech. Now, Smith ended up fumbling the ball and giving Tech a new set of downs where they eventually scored the game winning TD, but the moment and during his return, I was going nuts!

Those were special moments on the C team.

B's teams: First, 2008 Colorado. Before that game, I had ZERO trust in kickers. Callahan had the worst kickers in the history of Nebraska football. I'm not saying it's his fault, but we punted in the Cotton Bowl on what would have been a 51 yard attempt. All the comebacks in 2012. All the other comebacks. Ameer Abdullah's freshman year of kickoff returns. Kenny Bell. Taylor Martinez' day against Washington. Taylor Martinez' day against Kansas State. Watching Ndamukong Suh make McCoy look like a fool. Being in the preseason Top 10 again. Helu's 307 yard day. My legit kool-aid drinking feeling before the 2012 Big Ten Championship game. Lavonte David's forced fumble against OSU. DPE's punt return against MSU. Tommy's audible against Michigan to convert 4th down that lead to his pitch to Ameer for the game. 1st half against UCLA here (also proud of the way we honored their recently fallen player). The Miami game this year. Ameer Abdullahs game winning TD, I know it was against McNeese, but it was still special.

Last two that made me feel proud to be a Husker. Still honoring a scholarship to a player that may never play a down again.

And:

Jack's TD in the spring game.

I may not like Bo. But the team, the players, the moments. There are just so many during B team's era.

screw the coaches? Screw all involved?

How do you differentiate the two then. Its one big era with those involved. Without the coaches. Thats the point of this whole discussion. Which coaching era you wish wouldntve happened for reasons on and off the field. What you did was elininate that point, the played to it anyway.

screw the coaches? Screw all involved?

How do you differentiate the two then. Its one big era with those involved. Without the coaches. Thats the point of this whole discussion. Which coaching era you wish wouldntve happened for reasons on and off the field. What you did was elininate that point, the played to it anyway.

We're talking about their prospective eras.

And if it's just the era, scratch the coaches out.

How many memories did I have that I found special. That's what I did.

SORRY I didn't do it to your specifications... And that you didn't like my answer...

Never firing solich a man who gave 30 years of his life to the program just to have the fans turn around and stab him in the back just like they do with gill frost and anyone else who is dedicated to the program. Oh and I've heard the 'there was other stuff going on' line. We just do not take care of our own people. Just my opinion.

Why because Frank was here for 30 years means that he was the right man for the job when he obviously wasn't? How have the fans turned thier back of Gill and Frost? I would really like to know how you came to that conclusion. Just because they are former huskers, doesn't mean they are above criticism, espically when Frank was the one who put this program in the toilet in the first place. If anything, Nebraska takes great care of thier former players and is probably do to a fault. A great example of that is Barney, who has been stealing money for doing absolutely nothing for god knows how many years. Then not to mention all of his kids have gotten free passes to start on the football team when maybe one was good enough to start.

As for my answer to the question, I would like to get rid of all three and wished that Tom wouldn't have forced Frank on us in the first place and allowed Byrne to find his own coach. Then we wouldn't be talking about Callahan or Little Bo Bleep.

Never firing solich a man who gave 30 years of his life to the program just to have the fans turn around and stab him in the back just like they do with gill frost and anyone else who is dedicated to the program. Oh and I've heard the 'there was other stuff going on' line. We just do not take care of our own people. Just my opinion.

Why because Frank was here for 30 years means that he was the right man for the job when he obviously wasn't? How have the fans turned thier back of Gill and Frost? I would really like to know how you came to that conclusion. Just because they are former huskers, doesn't mean they are above criticism, espically when Frank was the one who put this program in the toilet in the first place. If anything, Nebraska takes great care of thier former players and is probably do to a fault. A great example of that is Barney, who has been stealing money for doing absolutely nothing for god knows how many years. Then not to mention all of his kids have gotten free passes to start on the football team when maybe one was good enough to start.

As for my answer to the question, I would like to get rid of all three and wished that Tom wouldn't have forced Frank on us in the first place and allowed Byrne to find his own coach. Then we wouldn't be talking about Callahan or Little Bo Bleep.

200.gif

We won't know the extent of how bad the Bo era may turn out to be until it is in the rearview mirror a ways. If we don't suffer a 1-3 year setback washing out the bunker mentality, then the Pelini era will not be considered that bad of a thing. Personally I think Riley is going to handle things so well that the Pelini era will only be remembered as that period of 7 years where we won 9 games but nothing more and wasted time getting back to championship caliber ball.

Btw, I had to vote Callahan because without him it's likely we never experience Bo to begin with.

• Fire 4

We won't know the extent of how bad the Bo era may turn out to be until it is in the rearview mirror a ways. If we don't suffer a 1-3 year setback washing out the bunker mentality, then the Pelini era will not be considered that bad of a thing. Personally I think Riley is going to handle things so well that the Pelini era will only be remembered as that period of 7 years where we won 9 games but nothing more and wasted time getting back to championship caliber ball.

Btw, I had to vote Callahan because without him it's likely we never experience Bo to begin with.

I agree with you about not knowing until we see if the current players can be unbrainwashed. I'm hopeful the public outrage that greeted Pelini's second tape will open some of the players' minds to seeing the program the way people outside it do instead of through Pelini's warped perception. Riley is going to have himself a job dealing with confused and probably untrusting players thanks to Pelini.