SEC my a$$

Perception vs reality

In September, many members of the media, led by ESPN, declared the Big Ten dead. Those same individuals boasted that the SEC West the greatest division in the history of CFB. The problem was, that entire argument was based on the flaw of pre-season rankings and biased perception. It was given “validation” due to A&M’s blowout victory over South Carolina, and was used to boost both Mississippi schools, and Alabama into the top tiers of the rankings.

Under the old BCS system, we would have had an Alabama vs Florida State matchup. Why? Because of the perception of SEC strength, based mostly on circular logic. Yes they won 7 straight, but they also got the benefit of the doubt to even play in the title game over comparable teams. Yesterday’s 2 games show how flawed this system was, and there’s little doubt that with a 4 team playoff, the 7 MNC streak would have never happened. No more title game layups, and no more automatic entry.

It was a huge day for the conference, and CFB in general. The SEC was exposed, even with the “SEC fatigue” excuses. Plus, the B1G was validated as extremely underrated. Part of it is due to increased play by the B1G teams, and part is simply due to more balanced match ups. The SEC stranglehold is over, and I think you’ll see a more balanced playing field in the future.

This is about as well articulated as possible. Kudos !

The elevation of both Mississippi Schools to #1 early in the season based solely on perception and ESPN hype was about as bad as it has ever been.

Paul Finnebaum should be forced to gargle with reality soap and contractually obligated to view other conference matchups on TV for an entire year.

Were both Mississippi schools ranked #1 at some point this year as well? All of the teams that have lost the last couple of days spent most of their year in the top 10.

The real loser in the whole thing is TCU.

I think Auburn was voted #1 at one point as well.

Got all the way to #2. Mississippi schools were both #1 at one point this year, so was 'Bama. A&M was #6, LSU #8. Arkansas the only one that wasn't top ten at some point this year.

Ole Miss was never #1, in fact they peaked at #3 unless you are looking at something other than the AP/Coaches/CFP.

I really thought the SEC, especially the West, was a bit stronger than everyone else. Happy to be proven wrong. If it was just Alabama we'd be hearing about a fluke loss, but LSU losing to a flailing ND, Auburn choking at Wisconsin, Ole Miss getting mauled, and Miss St losing to a "weak" ACC also-ran prove otherwise. Awesome bowl season.

Perception vs reality

In September, many members of the media, led by ESPN, declared the Big Ten dead. Those same individuals boasted that the SEC West the greatest division in the history of CFB. The problem was, that entire argument was based on the flaw of pre-season rankings and biased perception. It was given “validation” due to A&M’s blowout victory over South Carolina, and was used to boost both Mississippi schools, and Alabama into the top tiers of the rankings.

Under the old BCS system, we would have had an Alabama vs Florida State matchup. Why? Because of the perception of SEC strength, based mostly on circular logic. Yes they won 7 straight, but they also got the benefit of the doubt to even play in the title game over comparable teams. Yesterday’s 2 games show how flawed this system was, and there’s little doubt that with a 4 team playoff, the 7 MNC streak would have never happened. No more title game layups, and no more automatic entry.

It was a huge day for the conference, and CFB in general. The SEC was exposed, even with the “SEC fatigue” excuses. Plus, the B1G was validated as extremely underrated. Part of it is due to increased play by the B1G teams, and part is simply due to more balanced match ups. The SEC stranglehold is over, and I think you’ll see a more balanced playing field in the future.

The elevation of both Mississippi Schools to #1 early in the season based solely on perception and ESPN hype was about as bad as it has ever been.

Paul Finnebaum should be forced to gargle with reality soap and contractually obligated to view other conference matchups on TV for an entire year.

agree, espn sucked off the SEC and looked like fools....

Perception vs reality

It will definitely be interesting to see how they twist what happened during the bowl season this year to save face.

This bowl season was probably one of the best...I wish our Huskers would have won to help the case.

Perception vs reality

Did anyone else catch when Mississippi State scored a TD against Georgia Tech and Mushberger actually referred to the TD as the SEC scoring it. I cannot remember the actual quote, but I couldn't believe it. Did any other commentator refer to another team from the ACC/BIG10/PAC12 by their conference name in the other bowl games???

Perception vs reality

Did anyone else catch when Mississippi State scored a TD against Georgia Tech and Mushberger actually referred to the TD as the SEC scoring it. I cannot remember the actual quote, but I couldn't believe it. Did any other commentator refer to another team from the ACC/BIG10/PAC12 by their conference name in the other bowl games???

puss-berger is a certified idiot.

Perception vs reality

To his credit (and it pains me to give him some), he was also the ONLY broadcaster (at least that I heard) that jabbed the SEC a number of times for their bowl performances yesterday.........

To his credit (and it pains me to give him some), he was also the ONLY broadcaster (at least that I heard) that jabbed the SEC a number of times for their bowl performances yesterday.........

I heard someone in the Ole Miss, can't remember if it was during the game or Holtz in the studio, say that Ole Miss didn't come out flat or uninspired, they were just getting beat outright by a better TCU team. I don't remember the exact quote but it was definitely to head off any SEC excuse.

If anyone from ESPN was making excuses for the SEC I didn't hear it.

Maybe try for a 6 team playoff. Now that would be fun to watch.

No way 6!!! Idiotic idea!!! 6 does not make a bracket, it has to go to 8. Why would you want to have two bye's. You have been watching Dumb and Dumber way too often.

T_O_B

I'm still on the 6 team playoff train. It's not a bad idea to allow the top two teams an extra week off. It gets all 5 power five champs in and the best other team out there.

With that said, I'm leaning towards 8 each day, just for competitions sake.

No way 6!!! Idiotic idea!!! 6 does not make a bracket, it has to go to 8. Why would you want to have two bye's. You have been watching Dumb and Dumber way too often.

T_O_B

I'm still on the 6 team playoff train. It's not a bad idea to allow the top two teams an extra week off. It gets all 5 power five champs in and the best other team out there.

The only problem I have with the 6 team playoff is the bye week. In college football, every game is a revenue maker for that team. So even though a team has a week off, they also have a week of from revenue. Maybe I am wrong in my analysis or my knowledge of payments to teams for games.

T_O_B

The only problem I have with the 6 team playoff is the bye week. In college football, every game is a revenue maker for that team. So even though a team has a week off, they also have a week of from revenue. Maybe I am wrong in my analysis or my knowledge of payments to teams for games.

Revenue is shared. They have bye weeks in both FCS and D2.

T_O_B

Revenue is shared. They have bye weeks in both FCS and D2.

Then there we go. TCU and Baylor got royally screwed.