SEC my a$$

Perception vs reality

In September, many members of the media, led by ESPN, declared the Big Ten dead. Those same individuals boasted that the SEC West the greatest division in the history of CFB. The problem was, that entire argument was based on the flaw of pre-season rankings and biased perception. It was given “validation” due to A&M’s blowout victory over South Carolina, and was used to boost both Mississippi schools, and Alabama into the top tiers of the rankings.

Under the old BCS system, we would have had an Alabama vs Florida State matchup. Why? Because of the perception of SEC strength, based mostly on circular logic. Yes they won 7 straight, but they also got the benefit of the doubt to even play in the title game over comparable teams. Yesterday’s 2 games show how flawed this system was, and there’s little doubt that with a 4 team playoff, the 7 MNC streak would have never happened. No more title game layups, and no more automatic entry.

It was a huge day for the conference, and CFB in general. The SEC was exposed, even with the “SEC fatigue” excuses. Plus, the B1G was validated as extremely underrated. Part of it is due to increased play by the B1G teams, and part is simply due to more balanced match ups. The SEC stranglehold is over, and I think you’ll see a more balanced playing field in the future.

I don't know if the B1G was underrated or that it just improved by a damn sight throughout the season. That week in mid September was still bad.

But Ohio st got right and taught their young QB's the scheme.

Sparty stayed the course

Wisconsin fed Melvin. (God how good would they be with a QB?)

Look at the picks for the bowls. We were underrated.

No, we weren't.

MSU, Ohio St and Wisconsin were, maybe. All three improved tremendously throughout the year. And maybe the writers got a little lazy.

All 3 were picked to lose. How is that not underrated?

• Fire 3

Maybe try for a 6 team playoff. Now that would be fun to watch.

No way 6!!! Idiotic idea!!! 6 does not make a bracket, it has to go to 8. Why would you want to have two bye's. You have been watching Dumb and Dumber way too often.

T_O_B

That's a bit of an overreaction. 6 would be pretty interesting, you can give the top 2 teams a bye as a reward and they would play the winners of the first round. plus you wouldn't have to add in 2 more weeks, you would just need one more week. I feel like 8 is too big, it takes away the necessity for teams to be a league champion or have a great season.

How would it add another extra week that 6 doesn't? Or are you suggesting that they'd split up the first round into two weeks?

Yeah brain fart there...

Perception vs reality

In September, many members of the media, led by ESPN, declared the Big Ten dead. Those same individuals boasted that the SEC West the greatest division in the history of CFB. The problem was, that entire argument was based on the flaw of pre-season rankings and biased perception. It was given “validation” due to A&M’s blowout victory over South Carolina, and was used to boost both Mississippi schools, and Alabama into the top tiers of the rankings.

Under the old BCS system, we would have had an Alabama vs Florida State matchup. Why? Because of the perception of SEC strength, based mostly on circular logic. Yes they won 7 straight, but they also got the benefit of the doubt to even play in the title game over comparable teams. Yesterday’s 2 games show how flawed this system was, and there’s little doubt that with a 4 team playoff, the 7 MNC streak would have never happened. No more title game layups, and no more automatic entry.

It was a huge day for the conference, and CFB in general. The SEC was exposed, even with the “SEC fatigue” excuses. Plus, the B1G was validated as extremely underrated. Part of it is due to increased play by the B1G teams, and part is simply due to more balanced match ups. The SEC stranglehold is over, and I think you’ll see a more balanced playing field in the future.

I don't know if the B1G was underrated or that it just improved by a damn sight throughout the season. That week in mid September was still bad.

But Ohio st got right and taught their young QB's the scheme.

Sparty stayed the course

Wisconsin fed Melvin. (God how good would they be with a QB?)

Look at the picks for the bowls. We were underrated.

No, we weren't.

MSU, Ohio St and Wisconsin were, maybe. All three improved tremendously throughout the year. And maybe the writers got a little lazy.

All 3 were picked to lose. How is that not underrated?

I said maybe those three were, I just think they got a ton better throughout the year. The B1G deserved it's rep for most of the year. There was a lot of good work that went into yesterday and that deserves all the credit it's getting.

The royal "we" that's being bandied about needs to be quelled a touch. That's all.

• Fire 1

B6UoJI0CIAA2gtN.png

All four of these teams lost lmao.. Skip was defending them this morning saying they were "beat up" from playing each other and wasn't interested in playing in a bowl game if it wasn't for the title

Stop. Treating. Skip. Bayless. Like. He's. People.

• Fire 7

Here is an idea what about doing the first rounds to kick off the bowl season. So on Dec. 20th would be the first round games would be the #6 vs #3 and #5 vs #4. Then on Jan 1st have the semi-final games with the winner of the first rounders with the #1 and #2 seeds. Then have the Championship game on Jan 12th. Just a thought. :dunno

• Fire 1

Here is an idea what about doing the first rounds to kick off the bowl season. So on Dec. 20th would be the first round games would be the #6 vs #3 and #5 vs #4. Then on Jan 1st have the semi-final games with the winner of the first rounders with the #1 and #2 seeds. Then have the Championship game on Jan 12th. Just a thought. :dunno

Too logical...

No way 6!!! Idiotic idea!!! 6 does not make a bracket, it has to go to 8. Why would you want to have two bye's. You have been watching Dumb and Dumber way too often.

T_O_B

I'm still on the 6 team playoff train. It's not a bad idea to allow the top two teams an extra week off. It gets all 5 power five champs in and the best other team out there.

With that said, I'm leaning towards 8 each day, just for competitions sake.

hmmm...wonder who would be getting those bye's?

• Fire 1

I'm shocked that this hasn't been said yet:

Alabama was beaten by a 3rd string QB and if I'm not mistaken, this was his 2nd game that he started and played thru.

That tells a lot about how Urban trains his QBs. I am hoping Riley will be able to do the same.

T_O_B

I'm still on the 6 team playoff train. It's not a bad idea to allow the top two teams an extra week off. It gets all 5 power five champs in and the best other team out there.

With that said, I'm leaning towards 8 each day, just for competitions sake.

The problem is it's not an extra week because of the schedule. The #3-#6 seeds would probably get two weeks between games then two weeks before the semi-finals. The #1 and #2 seeds would still have an entire month off. That's pretty unbalanced.

Been saying this for years.