Riley: WRs job still open; Ron Brown not joining staff

Must be something more to it. Ron brown is a guy you keep. Whichever position he had coached in the past that unit always thrived. Hell he could have been the WR coach and would have done just fine. Really disappointing.

I'm ok with draining the swamp. The new staff isn't bound to keep any old guard around and frankly that "rule" is part of the reason why Nebraska is in the mess it's in.

• Fire 1

Wow! That's not what we've been hearing! We were hearing that Riley DID offer him a spot but he turned him down. How disappointing! :(

I don't think it's a stretch to think people making hires always try to make it look like they got their first choice.

It's also not a stretch to think that this message board fantasy of Brown being offered the job and turning it down was equal parts BS and wishful thinking by Brown's fanboy contingent. Riley needs to have the staff around him that he wants, that he's comfortable with. The only reason Brown should have stayed is if Riley felt that he was a good fit into the philosophy and chemistry of his staff. If he's not, as is apparently the case, that's just fine with me. Personally, I'm glad he's gone.

Except for the part where it isn't just a message board fantasy.

It's also not a stretch to think that this message board fantasy of Brown being offered the job and turning it down was equal parts BS and wishful thinking by Brown's fanboy contingent. Riley needs to have the staff around him that he wants, that he's comfortable with. The only reason Brown should have stayed is if Riley felt that he was a good fit into the philosophy and chemistry of his staff. If he's not, as is apparently the case, that's just fine with me. Personally, I'm glad he's gone.

My apologies if I've simply missed it, but I haven't seen anything substantive that indicates the story is anything other than a rumor. Is there a source that I should see?

Must be something more to it. Ron brown is a guy you keep. Whichever position he had coached in the past that unit always thrived. Hell he could have been the WR coach and would have done just fine. Really disappointing.

I'm ok with draining the swamp. The new staff isn't bound to keep any old guard around and frankly that "rule" is part of the reason why Nebraska is in the mess it's in.

I don't know if I agree with you on this point. Callahan got rid of everyone except Gill. And he stuck around for only one year. And we weren't any better off.

And Bo kept Watson.

I'm cool with Riley making his own hires.

Riley retained Warren to help bridge the gap between the players and the coaches just like bo did with Watson, and Callahan did with Gill. It's a common practice in coaching, definitely not a rule but happens more than you would think.

And he chose a guy that's been here literally less than a year. i think THAT says a lot too. I think that decision was the best of both worlds. You get the continuity. God knows we need it for the secondary. This year's fifth year seniors played for 4 different secondary coaches. That's insane. So the continuity is good, but from a psychological standpoint, we also get the guy with least ties to the previous regime in this effort to start over. Not to mention the grounds Warren has made in recruiting the southeast and keeping on board the Colorado DB's.

There's some subtext that I've been noticing on the hires Riley's made. They all appear to very well liked and appreciated by their coaches and the community from which they came. The subtext that I see is that they also appear to be stud recruiters. Evidence for this is the hiring of Warren. It was no secret that Bo hired Warren, in part, for his ability to recruit the southwest and that immediately yielded commitments. Warren was also a good coach - the secondary had the lowest completion rate in the country.

All of the coaches he's hired have worked for him in the past. What separates this current staff from the one Riley's had in the past is that he has the resources to pay assistants that are not only great assistants but great recruiters. I've seen video of all of these coaches and I can see how each one of them would bring a different appeal to the different recruits they're approaching.

If this is true and they can sign legit recruits, and their talent development is as good as we've all been lead to believe, Mike Riley with a full cupboard sounds very, very promising.

• Fire 1

There's some subtext that I've been noticing on the hires Riley's made. They all appear to very well liked and appreciated by their coaches and the community from which they came. The subtext that I see is that they also appear to be stud recruiters. Evidence for this is the hiring of Warren. It was no secret that Bo hired Warren, in part, for his ability to recruit the southwest and that immediately yielded commitments. Warren was also a good coach - the secondary had the lowest completion rate in the country.

All of the coaches he's hired have worked for him in the past. What separates this current staff from the one Riley's had in the past is that he has the resources to pay assistants that are not only great assistants but great recruiters. I've seen video of all of these coaches and I can see how each one of them would bring a different appeal to the different recruits they're approaching.

If this is true and they can sign legit recruits, and their talent development is as good as we've all been lead to believe, Mike Riley with a full cupboard sounds very, very promising.

Hey I am with you on the development side, not so much on the recruiting. Warren is good. Agreed. The others...well who knows. I am guessing Bray and Langsdorf are good, but they all came from OSU (handicap), so how can you tell if they are good or not?

My apologies if I've simply missed it, but I haven't seen anything substantive that indicates the story is anything other than a rumor. Is there a source that I should see?

It was reported by the guys at HuskerOnline.

It was reported by the guys at HuskerOnline.

I stand by my comment. I can find nothing substantive on HuskerOnline other than the same rumor floating on their forums. I can't seem to find anything resembling reporting on the subject from from Callahan or anyone else. Until I can see something beyond message board chatter, it's a fantasy as far as I'm concerned.

Well judging from his defensive hires he likes someone who has been a coordinator as well as an "expert" at their position. The only one i can think of is, couple years in the pros as a receiver, as well as a former off coord and head coach, he even mentioned in the press conf that he's been playing phone tag.... obviously he's looking at Osborne for that spot

:smokin