Tim Beck to Ohio State

This is really a gutcheck on my judgement. In my staunch defense of Bo up until the very end, I placed a lot of blame on Beck and his erratic and head-scratching tendancies. I had been told that I was too hard on him and the system. Now as more things happen post-Pelini era, and with Beck beibbed by pretty much the best and hottest coach in college football shows that again I pretty much dont know sh#t and that Beck may have very well been the least of our problems. I give praise to GuyChamberlain. He defended Beck prett solidly for the most part against his heaviest criticism. He seems to have had the correct perspective. But even so, this hire, especially the qb coach part is still a little mind boggling to me.

I think one of the key parts of the hire was recruiting. Meyer himself has plenty and extensive work with QBs (and he is their offense guy, right?). He pulled a hard-working, ace recruiter with heavy ties to the deep Texas talent pool. Ohio State's other OC, Warriner, worked with Beck at Kansas and likely vouched for him.

So it'll be quite a different role than Beck had here, although *arguably* Beck never got to run his own offense entirely until the bowl game.

Beck did "seem" to have brain farts at times. I think his huge advantage at Ohio St will be 1)working with a co-oc, and 2)working under an offensive minded genius like Urban that will probably keep him reeled in.

Dude, he didn't seem to have. He did have. Like we've both already said, Beck will benefit from working with another Offensibe coordinator and I think Urban Meyer has quite an influence on the technical aspects and play designs at Ohio St. Still, I'm not gonna pretend I didn't see whatmive seen the last four years. Inconsistency. Lack of execution. Lack of improvement throughout a season and many times regression, especially at QB.

Maybe we could just say sure, Beck had some struggles......this was his first job as an offensive coordinator. It's to be expected. Working under Bo can't be easy for anyone either. At the same time, I hold Beck plenty accountable for the repeated issues. I'm sure he learned from his many mistakes and will be a better man for it. Good luck to him, but I truly wasn't a fan, I don't think he was that great of a coach, but I'm sure that just like anybody else, in a better situation with more experience and knowledge gained, he will improve . Which is also, to be expected.

• Fire 1

True,

I disclaim it a little with "seem" cuz in the end, we're not in the press box. We're not seeing what the coaches are seeing, and we dont know what the coaches know about our personel and the opponents personnel. It's easy for us to play the Monday morning quarterback thing, but to give the slightest benefit of the doubt, there could be perfectly logical reasons for some of the head scratching things we would see.

Sure, there's examples of both things we didn't understand and things that the whole world saw as boneheaded. Plenty of people smarter than us questioned the direction of the offense many times.

For me, I was always more questioning of the things Beck didn't do. Some of the most basic fundamental high percentage things that every team in the history of the game did. We didn't do them. That bothered me.

I liked Shawn Watson's offense.

I liked Tim Beck's offense.

Wished I could have seen them with slightly better quarterbacks, offensive lines and supporting defenses. Even then there was a lot of excitement, including three of the best individual rushing careers in Nebraska history.

I honestly thought the folks who considered Nebraska "pass happy" "too cute" and "unwilling to stick with what works" didn't understand football. Or simply didn't watch other teams do the exact same thing, slightly better. Without turnovers. And stupid penalties. And having to get out of those holes created by your historically bad defense. On a team where the head coach had everyone -- players and staff -- wound too tight.

Every OC will call plays and sequences that don't pan out. Every single game. Tim Beck was no more or less egregious than most.

And if you don't like "cute" or "multiple" don't watch Scott Frost's team tonight.

Glad to see me and Urban Meyer on the same page.

• Fire 5

I liked Shawn Watson's offense.

I liked Tim Beck's offense.

Wished I could have seen them with slightly better quarterbacks, offensive lines and supporting defenses. Even then there was a lot of excitement, including three of the best individual rushing careers in Nebraska history.

I honestly thought the folks who considered Nebraska "pass happy" "too cute" and "unwilling to stick with what works" didn't understand football. Or simply didn't watch other teams do the exact same thing, slightly better. Without turnovers. And stupid penalties. And having to get out of those holes created by your historically bad defense. On a team where the head coach had everyone -- players and staff -- wound too tight.

Every OC will call plays and sequences that don't pan out. Every single game. Tim Beck was no more or less egregious than most.

And if you don't like "cute" or "multiple" don't watch Scott Frost's team tonight.

Glad to see me and Urban Meyer on the same page.

I pretty much agree with you.

I really didn't have a problem with his play calling most of the time. The times I did, well....I could question every OC ever to live the same way. We finished the year 13th best in points scored.

Two things that really hurt Beck here.

a) Turn overs. I honestly don't understand this how up until recently, our team had such a crappy stat in fumbles.

b) Inconsistent line play. Again, don't understand it. One game they could go out and look decent. The next (especially if it's on the big stage) they go out and look like they have never played the position before.

If you have a coaches on the team that can take care of those two things, Beck's offense could be very very productive.

Hiring Tim Beck to be a QB coach makes about as much sense to me as hiring Stevie Wonder to be your designated driver.

My guess is Beck got the gig as a favor because his buddy from Kansas was on the staff and recommended him. I haven't been overly impressed with anything Beck did here.

Yes. Clearly. Urban Meyer got to where he is by making stupid football decisions.

If only the people in charge of successful football programs were as savvy and observant as sporadic posters on HuskerBoard.

• Fire 1

Hiring Tim Beck to be a QB coach makes about as much sense to me as hiring Stevie Wonder to be your designated driver.

My guess is Beck got the gig as a favor because his buddy from Kansas was on the staff and recommended him. I haven't been overly impressed with anything Beck did here.

Yes. Clearly. Urban Meyer got to where he is by making stupid football decisions.

If only the people in charge of successful football programs were as savvy and observant as sporadic posters on HuskerBoard.

Whoa. What's with the butthurt? Someone may want to pry the keyboard away from Mrs. Meyer.

Urban Meyer got to where he is by generally making smart decisions. That doesn't mean this is a particularly smart one. Meyer isn't infallible. I wasn't impressed with Beck's offense, playcalling, coaching, or player development. Maybe he was hamstrung by Pelini and kept from doing what he wanted. Maybe now that he's freed from those shackles, he'll prove to be the next Bill Walsh. Or maybe what we saw at Nebraska is representative of what Beck really is and this isn't a great hire by Meyer.