Tim Beck to Ohio State

"Joe never worked out for Beck. He did an unofficial after his sophomore year. It was an underwhelming visit. There was not the recruitment of Joe from the staff you would think from having a Dad and 2 brothers play there, coupled with his ability. That about sums it up."

"Joe and my Dad are going to have to sit down with Urban and Beck and discuss a few things. I am sure the recruiting process with Joe and Nebraska will be a topic of discussion."

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/t...632845/page-12

Ugh...link no longer works. Forgive my ignorance, but who are we talking about here?
Joe burrow tOSU QB recruit and Husker legacy
Thanks. If he's a legacy and good, there's no excuse for not recruiting him...

2 time Ohio player of the year threw for 4500 yds 63 tds 2 ints this year. Did I mention he is a dual threat?

"Joe never worked out for Beck. He did an unofficial after his sophomore year. It was an underwhelming visit. There was not the recruitment of Joe from the staff you would think from having a Dad and 2 brothers play there, coupled with his ability. That about sums it up."

"Joe and my Dad are going to have to sit down with Urban and Beck and discuss a few things. I am sure the recruiting process with Joe and Nebraska will be a topic of discussion."

Ugh...link no longer works. Forgive my ignorance, but who are we talking about here?
2 time Ohio player of the year threw for 4500 yds 63 tds 2 ints this year. Did I mention he is a dual threat?

Is that all? Then no wonder we didn't go after him... /sarcasm

I take it that this ship has sailed then?

Is that all? Then no wonder we didn't go after him... /sarcasm

I take it that this ship has sailed then?

It did until Tim beck was hired as QB coach at tOSU

Not sure why everyone seems to think Meyer is the best coach in the country?

My uncle joe with a bum leg could coach all that talent to 10+ wins.

lol what is this nonsense

Just saying. Guys good, sure, but best in the country?

Gary Patterson says hello!

The best coaches in the country don't need 5 star talent across the board to be "the best coach in the country"!

Patterson is good no doubt but Urban is a little better.

Patterson is 132-45 in his career. All at TCU

Meyer is 141-26 in his career. Split between Utah, Florida and tOSU.

Patterson started at TCU in 2000 and Meyer started at Utah in 2001.

But the talent level is the difference!

Meyer started Utah in 2003 and left in 2004. The WAC. And the Utes have largely held onto their success since.

Basically, record is not the whole story.

Utah was in the Mountain West then. Yes, it's not a Power 5 conference but going undefeated for a full year is nothing to down play.

I don't know how people can say Meyer isn't a good coach. Part of being a college coach is bringing in the talent, and he has done that. With that talent he has won 2 NC's and is in a 3rd NC game tomorrow. His record speaks for itself.

You ever wonder why he left Florida? Didn't the story sound a bit odd when you heard it? Scoop. The other SEC coaches had the goods on him and gave him an ultimatum - get out of the conference or we turn you in. Ya, he brings in talent. He also beat Bama. I wouldn't be surprised to see the old school boys from the south break their gentlemen's agreement. Stay tuned.

That is one of the most cynical viewpoints of anything I have ever read on the subject. You may very well have written that in total sarcasm, but if not, I just don't understand the cynicism. Is it not possible that he actually left for exactly what he said? Perhaps, he actually felt he had complete imbalance in his life to a point that he was unhealthy and felt it necessary to step away, but he realized he had to come back to his passion after finding a way to balance it out so it didn't cause health issues? I have never understood the principle of going to the most cynical viewpoint first. Not only is the viewpoint expressed in the quoted text incredibly cynic, but conspiracy theorist, as well.

Some people do things for reasons you wouldn't. It happens in every single aspect of life; because they choose a certain path does not mean they have something to hide. Take it for what it's worth, but I do not understand the constant cynic.

And the winner for the most instances of using the word "cynic" in a post goes to... *carefully opens large envelope* .....BOJ! *award music plays*

Well, it was a few, but you think too much? :dunno:)

Me thinks you think I made this up. What do you think, think. Award music please. Make it "Hail to the Chief."

Not at all, I don't think it originated with you, its just an incredibly cynical viewpoint to believe that over what the man has said of why he left based off of nothing but conjecture is all. Totally fine if you believe it, just stating I don't understand it is all.

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st have of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

They were stacking the box and he went for the kill shot. He even said it would have ended the game and he was right. My goodness, play to win the game and don't play to not lose the game.

Maybe they should have thrown all 3 times and then faked the punt. Each one would have been ever more surprising to Bama. Play to win the game. Playing to win the game with a 7 point lead means run the clock, and if you don't get a first you punt. Hell, they had the ball at mid-field. Providing you don't get the first you put them in a position where they have to drive 80 yards with under a minute to go. This isn't rocket science. Play to win the game.???

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st have of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

They were stacking the box and he went for the kill shot. He even said it would have ended the game and he was right. My goodness, play to win the game and don't play to not lose the game.

Maybe they should have thrown all 3 times and then faked the punt. Each one would have been ever more surprising to Bama. Play to win the game. Playing to win the game with a 7 point lead means run the clock, and if you don't get a first you punt. Hell, they had the ball at mid-field. Providing you don't get the first you put them in a position where they have to drive 80 yards with under a minute to go. This isn't rocket science. Play to win the game.???

If you score, it's game over. Is it risky? Of course it is but if you risk nothing, you gain nothing.

Your scenario is playing to not lose. And that strategy fails as often as it works.

I would agree with your plan if the team was up by 2 or more scores. Or if I knew my opponent had an incredibly crappy 2 minute offense. If neither of these apply, I'm going for more points. And if I think I can grab those points in one long bomb, I'll give it a shot.

Wrong with your cliche. In this case if you risk nothing you gain from a running clock. Once again I ask you if it's such a great call why not do it on 2nd and third down, and then fake a punt on 4th. You've never coached have you?

There is no reason why you can't. And there is no reason why you can't do it on first down.

You don't want to take risks but you'll fake a punt on 4th down. Got it.

If you score, it's game over. Is it risky? Of course it is but if you risk nothing, you gain nothing.

Your scenario is playing to not lose. And that strategy fails as often as it works.

I would agree with your plan if the team was up by 2 or more scores. Or if I knew my opponent had an incredibly crappy 2 minute offense. If neither of these apply, I'm going for more points. And if I think I can grab those points in one long bomb, I'll give it a shot.

Wrong with your cliche. In this case if you risk nothing you gain from a running clock. Once again I ask you if it's such a great call why not do it on 2nd and third down, and then fake a punt on 4th. You've never coached have you?

Well, the idea is that you try the play on 1st down because Bama is expecting you to kill clock. So they might commit another defender trying to stop the run. So you're going to have a higher chance for 1-1 coverage and I'm sure they were very confident in their WRs vs Bama's QBs. You tell your QB not to force anything. Cardale didn't.

So when you throw it on first down, you then get Bama thinking that you might throw it again. It creates a little uncertainty. And I'm sure Ohio State was confident Bama wouldn't be able to march down the field in a minute with no TOs to tie the game.

It was a calculated risk that didn't work out, but ultimately didn't hurt them. I'll trust Urban's decision making on that play.

• Fire 1

So I have a story to share. I have a friend that is a HUGE Buckeye fan. When I heard that TB was going there I sent him a text. The following is what happened. Trust me it it is worth the read.

Me: "Welcome to Beck ball. Your dynasty is over before it even began."

Him: "He's not the OC"

Me: "He's the Co-OC. Trust me you will have a game where your just pounding on a team with the run. Then, BOOM, your start throwing the rest of the game."

Him: "He doesn't know the Spread Offense, maybe he wants to learn it."

Me: "OMG, that is so funny. The Spread is supposedly what we have been running the last 5 years".

I laughed so hard when I read his comment that it took me a few minutes to respond.

Interesting to see Beck go to one of the top progrums in the nation, and Bo fall all the way to the FCS.

If I was being paid $3+ million as part of a buyout on top of the salary he is getting at Youngstown, I would take a job in my hometown too. It's not a matter of him dropping to FCS, but more his choice to do so.
Wonder which jobs he turned down.

When he basically confirmed during audiogate 1 this was a stepping stone job for him, who would have guessed he was actually looking to take a huge step down?

Just seems counterintuitive.

Less stress, hometown, out of the spotlight he created for himself, still getting paid like a top coach...you're right though it's counter intuitive
Or maybe it was simply the best job he was offered. Occam's razor and such.

the best head coaching job offered, probably. But you have admit with the other variables I have stated, that's a pretty sweet gig. So why go be a DC somewhere in D1 just because.

I wouldn't say I'm needing to be scraped of pelini's jock, I'm logically stating that he took a job that has a ton of upside for him personally other than football

I think that's a fair statement. But just judging by his "I still know how to stop the run" (or something similar to that), I think he's still got a pretty sizeable ego. Big egos usually don't step down a level unless that is the best offer on the table.

Why do people on here assume that Beck is walking in the door at tOSU and Urb is just going to hand him the keys? Urb will give Beck a specific set of instructions to follow.

Urb will also encourage Beck to poach a player or 2 from NU.

Considering none of the players on our commit list were recruited by beck he wont have much luck. Not to mention Riley appears to have this class stitched up

I'm not talking about this class. I am talking about players on the team
So how does that go? Come sit out a year and then you can be third string here! What do ya say?

I'm gonna laugh really hard the 1st time TB costs them a game by calling two passes from 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 2, when they could have just rammed it forward to get the 1st. Or better yet how about a 3rd and 2 and your QB takes a sack because you out thought yourself. Its gonna be hysterical.