Tim Beck to Ohio State

I'm gonna laugh really hard the 1st time TB costs them a game by calling two passes from 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 2, when they could have just rammed it forward to get the 1st. Or better yet how about a 3rd and 2 and your QB takes a sack because you out thought yourself. Its gonna be hysterical.

If you watch much football, you'll notice many if not most successful OCs calling pass plays on 3rd and 2. Sometimes two passes in a row. I'm thinking of Scott Frost less than 24 hours ago. Of course sometimes the same OC chooses to run the ball. Sometimes that works, but sometimes the runner gets stuffed because the defense saw it coming. You have seen that happen, haven't you? Even Marshawn Lynch behind Seattle's offensive line wasn't a given on 3rd and 1 last Sunday.

It's adorable how Nebraska fans think victory is as simple as just "ramming it forward" every time.

You covered all of us with that ludicrous generalization.

Yeah. I know. I'm speaking mostly to the folks who wildly contradict themselves with what what they think Beck shoulda called, what he did call and what the guy they wish was OC would have called. I think a majority of Beck critics want to go back to a smashmouth game from Nebraska's glory days, but they don't accurately recall what went into that offense, including the support of a smashmouth defense, the single biggest component this team is missing. Tim Beck and Shawn Watson enabled the rushing careers of Roy Helu, Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah, three of the best in Nebraska history. They did not abandon the run.

Reading post-game criticism on this board, it often appeared that the definition of "getting too cute" and "out-thinking himself" was simply Beck calling a forward pass. In that case, pretty much every OC in the NCAA is too cute. Beck typically called a 5:3 run pass ratio over his Nebraska career. Some folks choose to remember the pass play on 3rd and 2 that didn't work. They don't remember the pass play that did work. Or the running play on 3rd and 2 that got stuffed. There's often a savvy DC on the other side of the ball, too.

I may be wrong, but it often appeared that the criticism aimed at both Watson and Beck was a deflection from Bo Pelini. At least for some posters. We had problems, and some of them were offensive problems, but rarely was it the play-calling, imo. That was actually a pretty fun offense to watch.

If you didn't like Beck's playcalling, get ready for more frustration because most OCs will call similar games. If we get a stout offensive line, better QB decision-making and defensive support you probably won't notice.

Beck is a good OC. Our offense has been really good the last couple of years, just look at the numbers.

Our defense was the problem, not our offense. Beck will do great, imo.

How's about we look at the numbers against teams with a pulse? That's the issue here. People look at our stats like the offense was so great when those numbers were padded against sh#t competition, and usually failed miserably against good teams. Not great teams. Not elite teams. Just "good" teams. Wisconsin last year? Sure the defense gave up 59, but what did the offense do to alleviate the pain when things started going south besides constant turnovers and 3 and outs. Michigan St this year? LOL. Sorry. But that game alone is enough to justify it not being a very good offense. McNeese St? Purdue? Minnesota? I mean, cmon.

Ok. Now. I've already admitted my wrong thoughts on Beck. Obviously he's got a good football mind to get the jobs he's gotten. I know that. And now it is clear that here, he probably wasnt the problem. But I jsut dont wanna see this Ohio St hire turn into a topic of retreat that maybe we shoulda kept the guy. it wasnt working here. Not when it mattered. Our qb develepment was garbage. We've had two quys in a row that arguably regressed under his tutaledge, and the offense was erratic and inconsistent. So I just refuse to use stats and "the best offense since 2001" to justify his prowess.

I don't think we should have kept him. My point (and I'm sure other share the same opinion) is he wasn't bad/terrible/awful.
Considering the job he managed to land, and the fact nobody was falling over themselves to hire Bo, it's kinda funny people were trying to make Beck the scapegoat.
  • Fire 3

Beck is a good OC. Our offense has been really good the last couple of years, just look at the numbers.

How's about we look at the numbers against teams with a pulse? That's the issue here. People look at our stats like the offense was so great when those numbers were padded against sh#t competition, and usually failed miserably against good teams. Not great teams. Not elite teams. Just "good" teams. Wisconsin last year? Sure the defense gave up 59, but what did the offense do to alleviate the pain when things started going south besides constant turnovers and 3 and outs. Michigan St this year? LOL. Sorry. But that game alone is enough to justify it not being a very good offense. McNeese St? Purdue? Minnesota? I mean, cmon.

Ok. Now. I've already admitted my wrong thoughts on Beck. Obviously he's got a good football mind to get the jobs he's gotten. I know that. And now it is clear that here, he probably wasnt the problem. But I jsut dont wanna see this Ohio St hire turn into a topic of retreat that maybe we shoulda kept the guy. it wasnt working here. Not when it mattered. Our qb develepment was garbage. We've had two quys in a row that arguably regressed under his tutaledge, and the offense was erratic and inconsistent. So I just refuse to use stats and "the best offense since 2001" to justify his prowess.

I don't think we should have kept him. My point (and I'm sure other share the same opinion) is he wasn't bad/terrible/awful.

Considering the job he managed to land, and the fact nobody was falling over themselves to hire Bo, it's kinda funny people were trying to make Beck the scapegoat.

I'm guilty of this. I've admitted to it. Beck getting a job at Ohio St in arguably a lateral position, and not a step down as you would expect after getting canned, is quite the mindcheck.

If you watch much football, you'll notice many if not most successful OCs calling pass plays on 3rd and 2. Sometimes two passes in a row. I'm thinking of Scott Frost less than 24 hours ago.

I'll bet Frost is wishing his offensive line was more PHYSICAL at the line of scrimmage. I have no idea what Herman was doing last night, but it was painfully obvious to me (and probably the majority of you all) that Oregon couldn't stop the run at all last night, cept on a few 3rd and shorts.

P.S. - as a guy who 'watches football' - and actually coached it on both sides of the ball, I can tell ya that most offensive coordinators aren't going to call a pass play if the defense can't stop the run.

Ergo....

Even Marshawn Lynch behind Seattle's offensive line wasn't a given on 3rd and 1 last Sunday.

Ezekiel Elliott.

Game 1. 20 carries, 220 yards.

Game 2. 20 carries, 230 yards.

Game 3. 36 carries, 246 yards.

Seems like Urban Meyer thinks that "ramming it forward" actually works.

Hey, I'm not gonna argue with any of this. ESPN did a couple telestrator slow-mo's to show how the OSU offensive line executed sophisticated pulls to stretch out Oregon's defensive line, and generally got forward push on every play. OSU has prided itself on offensive line play for years. Like Nebraska used to. There's not an OC alive who wouldn't look better with OSU's line, and run the ball if that's all it took.

As for the game call, it was similar to what Beck called against Miami. That included establishing a passing game quickly in the first half, preventing Oregon from simply loading the box. It also included Cardale Jones passing on first down, even when Elliot was killing it, and letting the strong armed young quarterback take some deep shots downfield that didn't always work but stretched the defense for the next play. With a defense that helped stake OSU to a two touchdown lead, they were free to ram at will for the entire fourth quarter (which also included a couple passes). Even then, Jones passed for as much or more than Ezekiel Elliot ran over the last three games, including passes on 3rd and short. "Ramming it Forward" works great when it works, but it's more than a decision to just run the ball.

As for Nebraska's toss sweep success against Penn State? Loved it. But it would require really stupid Defensive Coordinators not watching game film to make that your weekly gameplan.

Urban Meyer is the king of college football at this moment. He could hire virtually anyone on his staff, and is not about to make sentimental or uninformed decisions. He doesn't need to. I'll take his understanding of football over most posters on this board.

Beck is gone and I don't really mind because Nebraska needs a complete refreshing. But if we're going to continue to debate offensive philosophy and playcalling, we gotta stop pretending that Beck calling a pass play on 3rd and 2 signifies anything.

I'm gonna laugh really hard the 1st time TB costs them a game by calling two passes from 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 2, when they could have just rammed it forward to get the 1st. Or better yet how about a 3rd and 2 and your QB takes a sack because you out thought yourself. Its gonna be hysterical.

If you watch much football, you'll notice many if not most successful OCs calling pass plays on 3rd and 2. Sometimes two passes in a row. I'm thinking of Scott Frost less than 24 hours ago. Of course sometimes the same OC chooses to run the ball. Sometimes that works, but sometimes the runner gets stuffed because the defense saw it coming. You have seen that happen, haven't you? Even Marshawn Lynch behind Seattle's offensive line wasn't a given on 3rd and 1 last Sunday.

It's adorable how Nebraska fans think victory is as simple as just "ramming it forward" every time.

Yeah. I know. I'm speaking mostly to the folks who wildly contradict themselves with what what they think Beck shoulda called, what he did call and what the guy they wish was OC would have called. I think a majority of Beck critics want to go back to a smashmouth game from Nebraska's glory days, but they don't accurately recall what went into that offense, including the support of a smashmouth defense, the single biggest component this team is missing. Tim Beck and Shawn Watson enabled the rushing careers of Roy Helu, Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah, three of the best in Nebraska history. They did not abandon the run.

Reading post-game criticism on this board, it often appeared that the definition of "getting too cute" and "out-thinking himself" was simply Beck calling a forward pass. In that case, pretty much every OC in the NCAA is too cute. Beck typically called a 5:3 run pass ratio over his Nebraska career. Some folks choose to remember the pass play on 3rd and 2 that didn't work. They don't remember the pass play that did work. Or the running play on 3rd and 2 that got stuffed. There's often a savvy DC on the other side of the ball, too.

I may be wrong, but it often appeared that the criticism aimed at both Watson and Beck was a deflection from Bo Pelini. At least for some posters. We had problems, and some of them were offensive problems, but rarely was it the play-calling, imo. That was actually a pretty fun offense to watch.

If you didn't like Beck's playcalling, get ready for more frustration because most OCs will call similar games. If we get a stout offensive line, better QB decision-making and defensive support you probably won't notice.

I guess I and many others take issue with not putting the ball in your best players hands (and one of the top players in all of CFB) when you have two plays to get 3 yards when the game is on the line. That alone is a fireable offense.

Do you think Urban Meyer is gonna allow either of those plays TB decided to call at the end of the USC game? I doubt it.

What OC in the country does not run up the numbers against sh#t competition? They all do. Frost had amazing numbers all year. Play Ohio St.'s defense and all of the sudden one of the best offenses in the country can only muster 20 points.

Or play and undefeated, defending National champion and look better than ever.............

Our offense was not that good this year. Sorry, but it wasnt. Watch the games. Look who we played. Who we were successful against, and who we struggled against. Watch the games. I was preachin way back when we played Rutgers and after sloppy performances against them and Purdue, I was predicting 2 losses in the last 3 games BECAUSE OF OUR OFFENSE. Granted the defense gave up over half a hundred at Wiscy, but the offense only scored 17, and like I said, didnt do anything on their behalf either to try to regain control, and went scoreless in the final 3 quarters. What happened in the second half agaisnt Minnesota is laughable. Straight up laughable. And these arent even great teams. Just good teams. Hell, Ohio St was "slowed" by the juggernauts Penn St and Va Tech, but proceeded to light up Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. Name me the last good team that our offense had a great game against a great opponent. Not necessarily a complete game, cuz that term is kinda weird to me. But just a great game overall.

You can thank TA for that, not Beck

Who is our QB coach? Who called the play? Who recruited that qb? Ding ding ding, Timmy beck

So Beck coached TA to over throw, under throw or throw it to the other team?

Well he didnt teach him not to do it, so by default yes.

If you look at OSU, and this can be said about any team, line play is what separates the good teams from the great teams. The line play, with four new starters, is what killed OSU at the start of the season on the offensive side of the ball. Once OSU's line started to play better, the team really took off. Ed Warinner has done this for three years and Larry Johnson Sr. did wonders this year on the defensive side.

I guess I and many others take issue with not putting the ball in your best players hands (and one of the top players in all of CFB) when you have two plays to get 3 yards when the game is on the line. That alone is a fireable offense.

Do you think Urban Meyer is gonna allow either of those plays TB decided to call at the end of the USC game? I doubt it.

I would have given the ball to Ameer Abdullah. So would a lot of people. That's why most defenses would have been keying on Ameer Abdullah. If USC hadn't already held one of the top players in CFB to less than 3 yards on most of his carries, it would have been an easier call. Still a questionable call, but not an indefensible call. Betting that Pierson-El could beat a defender to the sideline off the same play fake you've been running all game isn't reckless. Pierson-El cut inside. Didn't work. The other plays that got us 42 points, including a clutch two-point conversion, worked. I wished we'd won the Holiday Bowl, too.

More to the point, do you think Urban Meyer is gonna hire a coach at Ohio State who deserved to be fired from Nebraska?

I would have given the ball to Ameer Abdullah. So would a lot of people. That's why most defenses would have been keying on Ameer Abdullah. If USC hadn't already held one of the top players in CFB to less than 3 yards on most of his carries, it would have been an easier call. Still a questionable call, but not an indefensible call. Betting that Pierson-El could beat a defender to the sideline off the same play fake you've been running all game isn't reckless. Pierson-El cut inside. Didn't work. The other plays that got us 42 points, including a clutch two-point conversion, worked. I wished we'd won the Holiday Bowl, too.

More to the point, do you think Urban Meyer is gonna hire a coach at Ohio State who deserved to be fired from Nebraska?

Do you think LSU would hire a guy to coordinate their defense after being fired for doing the same thing at Clemson?

I believe OSU ran the fly sweep to Jalen Marshall on a fourth down conversion against the Ducks. So, yes I think Urb would let him call that play since that was the same play design as the play DPE was stopped on. USC guy made a heck of a play. Beck had some faults but he was not as bad as everyone on here thinks he was. You cant run abdullah every play while simultaneously throwing to your tight ends, while running a screen and getting back to power football with some option on every play.

• Fire 1

Do you think LSU would hire a guy to coordinate their defense after being fired for doing the same thing at Clemson?

Who knows? I wish the San Francisco 49ers hadn't fired Jim Harbaugh myself.

I think the conversation on whether Beck was a good OC can only be analyzed in terms of NU. I've read reports by coordinators who have worked for Meyer saying that the overall scheme comes from Meyer and that he has a pretty iron tight grasp on the philosophy of the offensive system. Play calling is obviously a separate part but to say that Beck will come in and change the system based on what did or didn't work at NU is just false. If Beck does well at OSU, it will be because he adapted to Meyer's system, not Meyer adapting to Beck's system.