Tim Beck to Ohio State

I figured I'd get more answers from you or Teachercd, or now Bigredbuster and his made up accusations.....hilarious really.

I think I've wasted plenty of time being reasonable and asking a reasonable question and getting nothing but "Beck hater" responses.

Wait. My last answer wasn't long and specific enough?

Do I need to to say "Tim Beck will bring his intimate knowledge of the diamond formation and Little Debbie Snack Cakes for each player?

Sure, you could have said that if that's what you think.

Be careful with your opinions though. Apparently saying what you "think" is the same as saying you know more than a legendary coach.

I find it laughable that people's hatred of Beck makes them think they know more about what he does or doesn't bring to the table than Urban.

Literally, who has said that?

Show me the quote where anyone has said they know better than Urban Meyer what Beck does or doesn't bring to the table?

Have you read this thread. Probably more then half of the posts.

Yet you didn't quote one. Funny.

Maybe Beck succeeds because of Urban. Maybe he failed because of Bo. Who cares. IMO, his inept play calling cost us more than he won. Never cared for him.

The coaching landscape is filled with "great hires" who have been fired. As far as Beck and his awesomeness at KU, he was the passing game coordinator. He will be the co-oc at OSU. Urban didn't give him the keys to the castle. Having the talent of OSU (68% blue choppers) vs NU and our 30% would and can make any oc look solid. Their OL compared to ours........guys on this board could have success there with the talent. Not to mention the coaching genius (and support) of Urban vs the Genius of Bo.

So if Urban is a genius and knows talent, then why doesn't Bo get a big huge shout out because he spotted this awesome talent first..... Urban a genius for hiring him and Bo, IMO, fired for keeping him....... So is Bo smarter than Urban...........

If all it took was talent then Michigan should have been a lot better over Hoke's tenure. So the amount of bluechip players is only part of the equation. The fact is many OSU fans were not happy with tom hermam's play calling after the Mich St. Game last year (4th and one running Miller), after the Orange Bowl, and after the VT game this year. However he got two qbs ready on short notice and helped win a championship. Now everyone thinks Herman is the next best thing.

Also, beck was never going to get the keys to the offense because that is how it works in Columbus. Urban, ed warriner, and tom Herman all shared play calling duties this years and beck will join urban and ed next year.

I find it laughable that people's hatred of Beck makes them think they know more about what he does or doesn't bring to the table than Urban.

Literally, who has said that?

Show me the quote where anyone has said they know better than Urban Meyer what Beck does or doesn't bring to the table?

Have you read this thread. Probably more then half of the posts.
Yet you didn't quote one. Funny.
Apparently, I have less free time then you. Just read any of the posts. If it takes you more then five, I'll be shocked. In fact, I don't even know if your being serious.

I don't know if you have ever been on a coaching staff(trust me, if you have not, it makes no difference at all)...I have been on them in different ways (insert sex joke here) I have been on as a new dork (old term for penis from the movie Porky's) where I did not know a thing, I have been on them as a guy with experience, I have been on them as a guy with lots of experience but having to take on knew duties and I have been the HC that has had to dish out assignments.

You ask, what will he bring to the table...everything he has ever learned. I don't think you actually understand your question, I think you are either trying to rip on Beck or you are claiming that Meyer knows everything about offense. Maybe I am wrong and you are really just asking...

It is a new set of eyes, it is new experiences, it is old experiences...I mean, are you asking if he is going to invent some new forward pass? Probably not.

I have had guys on my sidelines that have had years and years of coaching experience that sucked...I have had guys that had never coached before, ever, and came up to me during a game and said "Hey, I think you should try this, I think it will hit" and it did.

Maybe my answer sucks...I have no idea...but you asked "why"...I had a coaching class I took...the teacher was stud coach at the high school ranks...he said "I paid 600 dollars for a coaching video on the run and shoot offense, in the end, I only used one play out of the entire video, but it worked, almost all the time and it was worth it, even though my wife thought I was crazy"

Sometimes what seems like a crappy investment to others is a great investment to someone else. So, what does he bring? I think he brings exactly what Meyer is looking for...Like you said, a coaching legend...a coaching legend went and hired him. Meyer doesn't strike me as a guy that is doing anyone a favor...for no reason. The last thing I would say is this, NU just hired a guy with a totally average record, but, we sure think he adds a ton of value.

Soooooo..... Michael Phelps should hire a 23 yr old lifeguard to watch him swim...??? new set of eyes???

If that guy could drive for Phelps, sure.

I don't know if you have ever been on a coaching staff(trust me, if you have not, it makes no difference at all)...I have been on them in different ways (insert sex joke here) I have been on as a new dork (old term for penis from the movie Porky's) where I did not know a thing, I have been on them as a guy with experience, I have been on them as a guy with lots of experience but having to take on knew duties and I have been the HC that has had to dish out assignments.

You ask, what will he bring to the table...everything he has ever learned. I don't think you actually understand your question, I think you are either trying to rip on Beck or you are claiming that Meyer knows everything about offense. Maybe I am wrong and you are really just asking...

It is a new set of eyes, it is new experiences, it is old experiences...I mean, are you asking if he is going to invent some new forward pass? Probably not.

I have had guys on my sidelines that have had years and years of coaching experience that sucked...I have had guys that had never coached before, ever, and came up to me during a game and said "Hey, I think you should try this, I think it will hit" and it did.

Maybe my answer sucks...I have no idea...but you asked "why"...I had a coaching class I took...the teacher was stud coach at the high school ranks...he said "I paid 600 dollars for a coaching video on the run and shoot offense, in the end, I only used one play out of the entire video, but it worked, almost all the time and it was worth it, even though my wife thought I was crazy"

Sometimes what seems like a crappy investment to others is a great investment to someone else. So, what does he bring? I think he brings exactly what Meyer is looking for...Like you said, a coaching legend...a coaching legend went and hired him. Meyer doesn't strike me as a guy that is doing anyone a favor...for no reason. The last thing I would say is this, NU just hired a guy with a totally average record, but, we sure think he adds a ton of value.

Soooooo..... Michael Phelps should hire a 23 yr old lifeguard to watch him swim...??? new set of eyes???

If that guy could drive for Phelps, sure.

HAHAHA! Well played!

• 10 months later...

Beck is a good OC. Our offense has been really good the last couple of years, just look at the numbers.Our defense was the problem, not our offense. Beck will do great, imo.

How's about we look at the numbers against teams with a pulse? That's the issue here. People look at our stats like the offense was so great when those numbers were padded against sh#t competition, and usually failed miserably against good teams. Not great teams. Not elite teams. Just "good" teams. Wisconsin last year? Sure the defense gave up 59, but what did the offense do to alleviate the pain when things started going south besides constant turnovers and 3 and outs. Michigan St this year? LOL. Sorry. But that game alone is enough to justify it not being a very good offense. McNeese St? Purdue? Minnesota? I mean, cmon.Ok. Now. I've already admitted my wrong thoughts on Beck. Obviously he's got a good football mind to get the jobs he's gotten. I know that. And now it is clear that here, he probably wasnt the problem. But I jsut dont wanna see this Ohio St hire turn into a topic of retreat that maybe we shoulda kept the guy. it wasnt working here. Not when it mattered. Our qb develepment was garbage. We've had two quys in a row that arguably regressed under his tutaledge, and the offense was erratic and inconsistent. So I just refuse to use stats and "the best offense since 2001" to justify his prowess.
I don't think we should have kept him. My point (and I'm sure other share the same opinion) is he wasn't bad/terrible/awful.
Agreed. That's just a cliffs notes of my thoughts I guess. With what we've learned over the past weeks in regards to the mindset of the team and program, the toxic relationship betweent the Admin, staff, bo, etc., and the complete team-wide implosions on the field, it's safe to say that Tim Beck and his offense were the least of the issues. But when youre a Boliever as I was till the very end, it's hard to see that. You wanna justify Bo being the right guy by saying someone else isnt. There was obvioulsy lots at play there. My guess is we'll get a lot of answers to some that stuff this fall. Not just outta Lincoln, but probably outta Columbus as well.

Good stuff in this thread.

• 4 years later...

6 hours ago, lo country said:

Knew he was there after OSU (lasted longer than I thought) ...No reason UT shouldn't be in the hunt every year with the talent there...Tom Herman cutting bait to get another year or two.....Interesting to see if they open the check book and go after some guys...

Herman was a hotter name than Frost the year he was hired. Crazy to see where they are and how that hype train derailed