Tim Beck to Ohio State

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st have of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

They were stacking the box and he went for the kill shot. He even said it would have ended the game and he was right. My goodness, play to win the game and don't play to not lose the game.

Come on man! You can't be serious?

I can argue this but we won't change each others mind. I was fine with the call. I also have been watching Urban coach the Buckeyes for three seasons and have been fine with the majority of his calls because they get the job done. I am not going to cray over a couple freaking plays since he has only lost 3 games over that span.

You assumed I think he is a bad coach. I never stated that. In fact I think he is a great coach. I was merely pointing out that those two instances were stupid. His body of work, despite the occasional f-up, which all coaches make, speaks for itself.

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st have of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

They were stacking the box and he went for the kill shot. He even said it would have ended the game and he was right. My goodness, play to win the game and don't play to not lose the game.

Come on man! You can't be serious?

I can argue this but we won't change each others mind. I was fine with the call. I also have been watching Urban coach the Buckeyes for three seasons and have been fine with the majority of his calls because they get the job done. I am not going to cray over a couple freaking plays since he has only lost 3 games over that span.

You assumed I think he is a bad coach. I never stated that. In fact I think he is a great coach. I was merely pointing out that those two instances were stupid. His body of work, despite the occasional f-up, which all coaches make, speaks for itself.

Then why bring them up? Those two calls don't make the Tim Beck hire a bad hire.

So you guys are saying the old staff that won 9 games every year missed on a 3-star dual threat who committed to his home state team,......and we already have at least four of those on our roster,............. but the new staff that wins about half it's games know something about this guy? The hatred of Bo by a few is getting deep around here.

Watched or read anything about Joe Burrow? Kid would have all the tools to return us to championships. Not joking or kidding about it either. Terrific thrower who has the ability to run
Yep. Do a quick google and look at the kids stats. Rushing, completions, etc.....kid is a beast. And we now have a coach who actually knows how to improve one. I really think some of our kids best days were when they first arrived on campus. Some seemed to get worse......

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/ohio_state_qb_joe_burrow_bucke.html

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/qb_joe_burrow_gives_ohio_state.html

Every qb recruit we have has those stats or better and how do you come to that conclusion about Riley when he's never coached one Husker game? High school stats are practically meaningless to me and Rival's lukewarm rating of a guy who plays right in front of their face doesn't get me too excited either. I'm not a big star rating guy but they do mean something.

Okay, sorry for interrupting all the enthusiasm.

Swami, have you ever had a cardiac problem, it changes the way you think, but mostly it changes those around you. You seem to hear things better, realize what a gift you have. As time goes on, you do what your told, you may even get stronger than initially. I have had two heart attacks, both cholesterol based, In great shape, hereditary high cholesterol. Didn't believe my doctor when he said I was in risk. Had done a 50 mile bike ride the morning of the first one, the second a 40 mile ride. I see Urban like myself. It scared the crap out of me, listened to my doctor and now 10 years later do about what ever I want to with out worry. Some are different. It is a death sentence. Close friend just had a major one Thursday, he has worried himself into it for the last 4 years. Does nothing physical to improve heart function. He knows he is going to die and most likely soon. You seem to make up your mind one way or the other and move forward or worry.

As I understand it, it was angina, not a heart attack, but carried the same signs. Most likely scared his wife worse, but some of us have an undying drive, desire to do things. I think Urban fits that category.

I certainly could be wrong, but I like to think the best about people until they prove my thinking wrong. He has not yet. I pretty much admire the guy. Want him to lose anytime he plays us, but am happy for him otherwise.

So you guys are saying the old staff that won 9 games every year missed on a 3-star dual threat who committed to his home state team,......and we already have at least four of those on our roster,............. but the new staff that wins about half it's games know something about this guy? The hatred of Bo by a few is getting deep around here.

Watched or read anything about Joe Burrow? Kid would have all the tools to return us to championships. Not joking or kidding about it either. Terrific thrower who has the ability to run
Yep. Do a quick google and look at the kids stats. Rushing, completions, etc.....kid is a beast. And we now have a coach who actually knows how to improve one. I really think some of our kids best days were when they first arrived on campus. Some seemed to get worse......http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/ohio_state_qb_joe_burrow_bucke.htmlhttp://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/qb_joe_burrow_gives_ohio_state.html

Every qb recruit we have has those stats or better and how do you come to that conclusion about Riley when he's never coached one Husker game? High school stats are practically meaningless to me and Rival's lukewarm rating of a guy who plays right in front of their face doesn't get me too excited either. I'm not a big star rating guy but they do mean something.

Apparently those stars have meaning to Oregon, Bama, Ohio St... the only time stars don't matter is when you don't coach them up and play them to their strengths.

Yep. Do a quick google and look at the kids stats. Rushing, completions, etc.....kid is a beast. And we now have a coach who actually knows how to improve one. I really think some of our kids best days were when they first arrived on campus. Some seemed to get worse......http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/ohio_state_qb_joe_burrow_bucke.htmlhttp://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/qb_joe_burrow_gives_ohio_state.html

Apparently those stars have meaning to Oregon, Bama, Ohio St... the only time stars don't matter is when you don't coach them up and play them to their strengths.

But he only has three stars, so what do you mean by that? I'm not following you.

But he only has three stars, so what do you mean by that? I'm not following you.
3 stars is not a horrible rating.

5 stars = rare prospects

4 stars = outstanding prospects

3 stars = good prospects

2 stars = solid prospects

Source: Rivals.com

Swami, have you ever had a cardiac problem, it changes the way you think, but mostly it changes those around you. You seem to hear things better, realize what a gift you have. As time goes on, you do what your told, you may even get stronger than initially. I have had two heart attacks, both cholesterol based, In great shape, hereditary high cholesterol. Didn't believe my doctor when he said I was in risk. Had done a 50 mile bike ride the morning of the first one, the second a 40 mile ride. I see Urban like myself. It scared the crap out of me, listened to my doctor and now 10 years later do about what ever I want to with out worry. Some are different. It is a death sentence. Close friend just had a major one Thursday, he has worried himself into it for the last 4 years. Does nothing physical to improve heart function. He knows he is going to die and most likely soon. You seem to make up your mind one way or the other and move forward or worry.

As I understand it, it was angina, not a heart attack, but carried the same signs. Most likely scared his wife worse, but some of us have an undying drive, desire to do things. I think Urban fits that category.

I certainly could be wrong, but I like to think the best about people until they prove my thinking wrong. He has not yet. I pretty much admire the guy. Want him to lose anytime he plays us, but am happy for him otherwise.

I get that sker. My dad has had two heart attacks, both in his 60s - he's now 82. I remember the first one when I got the call at 3 am. Scared the crap out of me. Was at the hospital in 10 minutes. Glad to hear you're doing fine. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 06, and after the requisite depression (tried to take my life) I turned my life over to the Lord, and I've never known happiness like I do know. I've learned that I'm happiest when I'm helping others. Few have been blessed to the degree that God has blessed me. I'm 60 and still have both parents who have kept it together for over 60 years, and two of the most precious kids a guy could dream for. I grew up in Illinois, but went to Nebraska and walked on the Frosh team coached by Ross. I thought you guys were all nuts, but then realized that what you have is so very special. I've taken great pride in bringing my kids and others back to that great state. I only get back once a year now. Use to be twice as a frat brother who now runs the pharmacy in Valley grew up in Crawford and we would pile into his motor home with golf clubs, booze and shotguns, and head out for a turkey shoot around the Fort Robinson area every spring.

The secret to happiness is best found in Philippians 4:8. "Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable; if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, set your mind on these things." Take care man. GBR

• Fire 2

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st half of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

Maybe Beck was already signalling in the plays :)

3 stars is not a horrible rating.

5 stars = rare prospects

4 stars = outstanding prospects

3 stars = good prospects

2 stars = solid prospects

Source: Rivals.com

Yeah, I agree....he could be a good player and coaching could have a lot to do with that, but what I read was that he's a superstar that Pelini's lousy staff ignored. That doesn't seem to be the case and just sounds like more BS from the Pelini haters.....who just happen to be the same group of guys making these comments in every thread. In that regard it makes me wonder if this guy has any ability at all or it's just a chance for them to take another shot at Pelini. I won't hold my breathe on this 3-star Ohio guy even coming here.

Reality is two things: He's going into a situation in which Beck will be playing second fiddle to Urban Meyer. It is Meyer's offense he'll be calling plays for, assuming he even calls the plays. Secondly, Beck was hampered significantly at Nebraska. We lacked the QB, WRs, and TEs necessary to be a dynamic offense. He's going into a situation with actual QBs who can throw to receivers with real speed and athleticism.

Husker fans need to remember he was working with what he had here, which hasn't been much the last two seasons. Get the fantasy out of your heads that we had the players necessary to be successful on offense, and it was Becks fault our offense struggled. Outside of Ameer, we didn't have much.

Maybe they should have thrown all 3 times and then faked the punt. Each one would have been ever more surprising to Bama. Play to win the game. Playing to win the game with a 7 point lead means run the clock, and if you don't get a first you punt. Hell, they had the ball at mid-field. Providing you don't get the first you put them in a position where they have to drive 80 yards with under a minute to go. This isn't rocket science. Play to win the game.???

Maybe they should have thrown all 3 times and then faked the punt. Each one would have been ever more surprising to Bama. Play to win the game. Playing to win the game with a 7 point lead means run the clock, and if you don't get a first you punt. Hell, they had the ball at mid-field. Providing you don't get the first you put them in a position where they have to drive 80 yards with under a minute to go. This isn't rocket science. Play to win the game.???

If you score, it's game over. Is it risky? Of course it is but if you risk nothing, you gain nothing.

Your scenario is playing to not lose. And that strategy fails as often as it works.

I would agree with your plan if the team was up by 2 or more scores. Or if I knew my opponent had an incredibly crappy 2 minute offense. If neither of these apply, I'm going for more points. And if I think I can grab those points in one long bomb, I'll give it a shot.