Tim Beck to Ohio State

I read a little of this thread, got the jest I think.

Watson went on to be a pretty good OC, and most likely so will Beck. The one constant was our past coach. A serious Micro Manager. Jack of all trades, master of none. I think that explained our coaching situation.

I am hoping Beck goes on and does a great job. He will be working and learning from one of the best college football coaches of all time.

My complaint with Beck or Pap was not their effort or knowledge, it was the experience and learning on the job, from a coach that truly did not have the experience to teach.

Good luck to any and all that get good jobs. My guess is he will do better there. A more sensible based operational situation, better talent. My guess is that the fan base is every bit as motivated as Nebraska is. Not going to be a walk in the part, but their fans will be asking, how could he work for that complete Ahole. He will get a chance more so because of that than anything else. Battered puppy syndrome. lol

• Fire 5

I call BS on no need and being a buddy hire. Ohio state just lost their OC.

The only reason Urban would be disappointed in our past coach leaving is it took a certain win away from Ohio State when they played. Of course he wanted to keep the loser in place. Made his job easier in the future.

Interesting to see Beck go to one of the top progrums in the nation, and Bo fall all the way to the FCS.

If I was being paid $3+ million as part of a buyout on top of the salary he is getting at Youngstown, I would take a job in my hometown too. It's not a matter of him dropping to FCS, but more his choice to do so.

I totally agree with this...It is like those guys that played in the pros, set for life and they go coach High School ball...why not, it is fun, they don't need the cash.
What is Bo, around 45? He can coach at YSU, let his kids attend and graduate from Cardinal Mooney, and then maybe Bo will look to go back into big-time coaching. Or he can stay at YSU for 20 years, and enjoy his life. Every situation is different, I don't know why people get all caught up with "oh yeah, Bo is so lame he ended up at crappy YSU."

How could Blow and Jim Tressel want to really end up at Y. St. ? They have egos and usually a "big name" who ends up at small college or high school has screwed up somewhere. When Blow was "caught" on tape a couple years ago saying "it won't be long and I am out of here".......he was not thinking Y St, and rolling into the Dakota Dome next September .

The only reason Urban would be disappointed in our past coach leaving is it took a certain win away from Ohio State when they played. Of course he wanted to keep the loser in place. Made his job easier in the future.

Rumor out of Columbus is the Mike Riley hire has caused Meyer some serious insomnia.

Interesting to see Beck go to one of the top progrums in the nation, and Bo fall all the way to the FCS.

If I was being paid $3+ million as part of a buyout on top of the salary he is getting at Youngstown, I would take a job in my hometown too. It's not a matter of him dropping to FCS, but more his choice to do so.

I totally agree with this...It is like those guys that played in the pros, set for life and they go coach High School ball...why not, it is fun, they don't need the cash.
What is Bo, around 45? He can coach at YSU, let his kids attend and graduate from Cardinal Mooney, and then maybe Bo will look to go back into big-time coaching. Or he can stay at YSU for 20 years, and enjoy his life. Every situation is different, I don't know why people get all caught up with "oh yeah, Bo is so lame he ended up at crappy YSU."

How could Blow and Jim Tressel want to really end up at Y. St. ? They have egos and usually a "big name" who ends up at small college or high school has screwed up somewhere. When Blow was "caught" on tape a couple years ago saying "it won't be long and I am out of here".......he was not thinking Y St, and rolling into the Dakota Dome next September .

For $3M a year an ego can take a hit and roll into South Dakota. Tressel was the most successful coach in YSU history so it's not too much of a stretch for him to be employed by them while he has to wait for his show cause to expire.

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

• Fire 1

OSUs offense will now fold in big games.

This should help with our new staff swaying Joe burrow to NU. Beck basically gave the burrows the middle finger when they tried to meet with the coaches when they were in Lincoln.

Can you elaborate on this?

Burrow and his family wanted to be Huskers. He didn't even get an invite to our QB camp while getting invites to OhioSts, Bamas, WVUs. Burrow was dreaming/hoping for a Neb offer and the coaching staff wanted nothing of him. He is a legacy kid.