Tim Beck to Ohio State

So you guys are saying the old staff that won 9 games every year missed on a 3-star dual threat who committed to his home state team,......and we already have at least four of those on our roster,............. but the new staff that wins about half it's games know something about this guy? The hatred of Bo by a few is getting deep around here.

Watched or read anything about Joe Burrow? Kid would have all the tools to return us to championships. Not joking or kidding about it either. Terrific thrower who has the ability to run

Yeah, I did look around. Where did you read that, the local papers? Rivals has him a 3-star dual-threat. Are you sure you or the local reporters are not embellishing his record.....I hear Mike and Ralph Brown will be suiting up?

Well being a Botick it is hard to see things that might help. We have dropped again to the 9 win scream that echoes through the stadium, day in and day out. Maybe the new staff has higher expectations, and does not eliminate before talking to such athletes. Maybe as usual they thought he was too good for Nebraska, and never bothered.

I see weak recruiting being most of our problems, we are seeing now what people with a clue about recruiting do. Turn over every rock, make sure it won't work, then move on. Unbelievable what you can find if you look and work at it.

So you guys are saying the old staff that won 9 games every year missed on a 3-star dual threat who committed to his home state team,......and we already have at least four of those on our roster,............. but the new staff that wins about half it's games know something about this guy? The hatred of Bo by a few is getting deep around here.

Watched or read anything about Joe Burrow? Kid would have all the tools to return us to championships. Not joking or kidding about it either. Terrific thrower who has the ability to run
Yep. Do a quick google and look at the kids stats. Rushing, completions, etc.....kid is a beast. And we now have a coach who actually knows how to improve one. I really think some of our kids best days were when they first arrived on campus. Some seemed to get worse......

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/ohio_state_qb_joe_burrow_bucke.html

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/12/qb_joe_burrow_gives_ohio_state.html

Burrow is a QB and we don't have one of those in this class anymore.

Beck's a good recruiter who has run with dual threat QBs recently. Meyer always has and his reputation precedes him. Burrow being a Husker legacy is something, but I still think it would take a huge effort to steal Urban Meyer's QB recruit for this class, this late in the game.

I tend to agree, but remember OSU also has Torrence Gibson committed. He is a 4 star qb. Burrows isn't the only one committed there......

Not sure why everyone seems to think Meyer is the best coach in the country?

My uncle joe with a bum leg could coach all that talent to 10+ wins.

lol what is this nonsense

Just saying. Guys good, sure, but best in the country?

Gary Patterson says hello!

The best coaches in the country don't need 5 star talent across the board to be "the best coach in the country"!

Patterson is good no doubt but Urban is a little better.

Patterson is 132-45 in his career. All at TCU

Meyer is 141-26 in his career. Split between Utah, Florida and tOSU.

Patterson started at TCU in 2000 and Meyer started at Utah in 2001.

But the talent level is the difference!

Meyer started Utah in 2003 and left in 2004. The WAC. And the Utes have largely held onto their success since.

Basically, record is not the whole story.

Utah was in the Mountain West then. Yes, it's not a Power 5 conference but going undefeated for a full year is nothing to down play.

I don't know how people can say Meyer isn't a good coach. Part of being a college coach is bringing in the talent, and he has done that. With that talent he has won 2 NC's and is in a 3rd NC game tomorrow. His record speaks for itself.

You ever wonder why he left Florida? Didn't the story sound a bit odd when you heard it? Scoop. The other SEC coaches had the goods on him and gave him an ultimatum - get out of the conference or we turn you in. Ya, he brings in talent. He also beat Bama. I wouldn't be surprised to see the old school boys from the south break their gentlemen's agreement. Stay tuned.

Not sure why everyone seems to think Meyer is the best coach in the country?

My uncle joe with a bum leg could coach all that talent to 10+ wins.

That is what I have been saying about Riley at NU...

But I have been told more than a few times that Riley getting 7 wins next season would be good.

Meyer is a stud...he clearly had his choice of almost anyone he wanted for this spot and he picked Beck, which says a lot, it might not mean he will be great at OSU but it clearly says a lot that he is the one that was picked.

You've been told that by your fellow pearl clutchers.

So...you are saying that 7 wins next year is horrible, correct?

I'm on record saying I think NU will be fine next year.

I'll say Neb does better than 9-4 next year.

I 100% agree! Better staff, they don't lose a lot of players, they have most of the defense back and all tough teams at home...

It would not shock me at all if they only dropped one game.

Dream until your dreams come true.

I question this, almost to a tee here, everyone says the SEC all cheat. If they all cheat, why would they single him out, better at it than they were?

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He stressed himself out, had a cardiac scare, and said it is not worth it. He is a good coach that Nebraska wanted badly in 2003, but we did not have the talent that his life time job goal of Notre Dame had. But after comparing the talent at Notre Dame and Florida, he bolted to Florida. That is not cheating, that is being smart.

He knows how to recruit, he works hard at it every minute. He seems to have slowed his sideline game down some. Way more calm on there. I will continue to give him credit until something is proven that he does not deserve it.

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st half of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

• Fire 2

It is amazing the lengths to which some of you will go to avoid giving the man his due.

A coach, who is going to play for a national title, WITH HIS 3RD STRING QB, seems to think our former OC is a quality enough coach to let him work with his offense and quarterbacks going forward. Once again, what the professional world thinks of these guys and what we think of these guys seems to be different. I wonder who is a better judge of said talent?

I don't want him back. I'm excited about the new staff but man, some of you.......

• Fire 4

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st have of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

They were stacking the box and he went for the kill shot. He even said it would have ended the game and he was right. My goodness, play to win the game and don't play to not lose the game.

• Fire 1

I question this, almost to a tee here, everyone says the SEC all cheat. If they all cheat, why would they single him out, better at it than they were?

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He stressed himself out, had a cardiac scare, and said it is not worth it. He is a good coach that Nebraska wanted badly in 2003, but we did not have the talent that his life time job goal of Notre Dame had. But after comparing the talent at Notre Dame and Florida, he bolted to Florida. That is not cheating, that is being smart.

He knows how to recruit, he works hard at it every minute. He seems to have slowed his sideline game down some. Way more calm on there. I will continue to give him credit until something is proven that he does not deserve it.

Ya "He stressed himself out, had a cardiac scare, and said it is not worth it." Then suddenly decided it was worth it. I understand now. :confucius

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st have of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

They were stacking the box and he went for the kill shot. He even said it would have ended the game and he was right. My goodness, play to win the game and don't play to not lose the game.

Come on man! You can't be serious?

Come on man! You can't be serious?

I can argue this but we won't change each others mind. I was fine with the call. I also have been watching Urban coach the Buckeyes for three seasons and have been fine with the majority of his calls because they get the job done. I am not going to cray over a couple freaking plays since he has only lost 3 games over that span.

Maybe they should have thrown all 3 times and then faked the punt. Each one would have been ever more surprising to Bama. Play to win the game. Playing to win the game with a 7 point lead means run the clock, and if you don't get a first you punt. Hell, they had the ball at mid-field. Providing you don't get the first you put them in a position where they have to drive 80 yards with under a minute to go. This isn't rocket science. Play to win the game.???