Should Joe Paterno's vacated wins be reinstated?

NUance

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The thing is, I'm on board for doing away with the scholarship reduction and post season ban. Those sanctions only hurt the student athletes (and fans). They are not culpable. But the 111 vacated wins is a bit more personal towards Paterno and his staff. So I'm in favor of Paterno's penalty remaining in force. It's too bad there isn't a way to penalize Paterno without also penalizing Penn State. Oh well. It is what it is.

The current athletes and staff should definitely not have to suffer for the wrongful acts of others.

Id say Paterno did pay for it. Coaching was his life. Take that away and he had nothing, plus a hugely tarnished legacy. I think thats what killed him.

• Fire 1

I am in the minority here but I think he should get those back. Were terrible crimes committed - yes and Sandusky is rotting in Jail. Did JoePa intentionally cover up the crimes to win games - IMO hell no. I would take a sub-human to do that and I don't believe JoePa was that. Today's social media quickly crucified him without knowing all the facts. I believe he committed errors but not intentionally to win games. He was told of the incidents and reported it up the chain of command. I think he was just too old and ingrained in his ways to make sure the everything was kosher and the AD and others would act accordingly. I still don't think those two PSU administrators have gone to trial yet. Maybe my opinion will change after their trial is over.

• Fire 1
The current athletes and staff should definitely not have to suffer for the wrongful acts of others.
They chose to come to PSU. They knew what the situation was before they got there. They're only 'suffering' because they chose to.

Paterno knew. Everyone knew. Sandusky was referred to as "Jerry the Perv" at least as early as 2002.

The thing is, I'm on board for doing away with the scholarship reduction and post season ban. Those sanctions only hurt the student athletes (and fans). They are not culpable. But the 111 vacated wins is a bit more personal towards Paterno and his staff. So I'm in favor of Paterno's penalty remaining in force. It's too bad there isn't a way to penalize Paterno without also penalizing Penn State. Oh well. It is what it is.

Id say Paterno did pay for it. Coaching was his life. Take that away and he had nothing, plus a hugely tarnished legacy. I think thats what killed him.

I dunno. Paterno got penalized, sure, in the end. But he also gained from the coverup. For a while. Paterno got to coach for another dozen years while this thing was covered up. He should have pushed the issue right when it was discovered. Found out whether Sanduski was a pedo, or the story he heard was just a bunch of garbage. If he would have gotten to the bottom of it right away he probly could've weathered that controversy and gone on to coach Penn State for the rest of his career, and ended his career with respect. But he chose to bury the scandal instead, apparently hoping it would never see the light of day.

What's in the past is in the past. Joe is dead. Sandusky is in jail. F-it its over, who cares.

What's important is that the people involved are gone. What matters now is that the kids playing at PSU ARE NOT tainted by this scandal.

What matters is the kids that there are now. They weren't there. 99% of the university had no idea what was going on. Do you punish the

English Dept., History Dept., ect... ect...ect... NO. MOVE ON.

T_O_B

• Fire 1

I am on record that Penn St should have been punished severely. At least one full year of the football death penalty. I see the negotiations in the wins were between PSU and Pennsylvania state officials. No homers there right? Any wins after the first serious allegations were made should be vacated until Sandusky was off the campus completely. And because abuse continued on campus and in the football facility long after issues were brought to Paternos attention, his legacy is completely tarnished to me. You are never too old to do the wrong thing.

It was a criminal matter, no rules were broken. The NCAA didn't have the right to vacate wins and impose sanctions in the first place (but absolutely had to or be raked over the coals by the whole nation outside of Eastern PA). Time has passed and this has become clear as people have become more rational about the situation, Penn State probably would have won big in a lawsuit against the NCAA and they know it. Hence the lifted sanctions and reinstated wins. They had no right to do these things in the first place.

• Fire 1