Offense Huskers SHOULD Run?

We know that Coach Riley likes a pro-style offense (quarterback under center, one back, etc.). We know he has a reputation for developing quarterbacks and receivers. He's offered to a prototypical pro-style quarterback in the '16 class. But at the same time, he has a reputation for adapting to the talent on hand, and for the most part, the current recruiting class is - by necessity given the timing - a case of preserving what the prior staff had gathered. So given all that, plus the talent we have returning, what offense SHOULD the Huskers run next season? Is it better to play to current strengths, or should we try to start transitioning to the system Riley prefers?

So, what should it be? And why? What are the advantages and disadvantages for each system given everything?

You have to mold your system to fit the talent. That being said, we are a lot farther down the road toward a pass system than we were when Solich was fired. OLs know how to pass block. WR know how to run routes. RBs know how to protect. We just need an accurate QB.

IF Riley can coach up one of the guys on the current roster, then throw it.

If not, however, you have to go with the run game and use some elements of the read option.

I would think our personnel fits very well into a Pro Offense style. Minus QB. I think, at least from what we've seen, that would be the only position that would struggle in this transition. With Riley and Langsdorf on staff I'm actually confident that we will see improvement in QB play. But I'm not confident that the level of improvement would put them at a Pro QB style of offense. We have the WRs, our RBs are solid, and I think our OLine could handle the change in assignments. So maybe a Pro Style with some zone read to play to our QB run strengths?

As long as Langsdorf can fix our QBs' throwing mechanics I think we will be fine. We have players that can fit just fine. The O-line are big enough, some of the techniques will chance, but that's what we have Cav for. This is not a reinventing the wheel type of thing Callahan ran into. DPE and Westy are good enough to play in just about any system. And we have options at running back. Its just going to be on the coaches to teach them the new schemes, and play to they players strengths.

Beck's offense was such a hodgepodge of a little of every system under the sun, this will not be alien. Even the QBs have been under center now and then.

I still dont know what pro style means.

Expect the QB under center more often than we have seen in awhile. Also, expect to see the QB call the plays, not have the whole team looking to the sidelines. The expectation will be that the QB actually read the defense than just wait on a signal. I would also say we will see less of the running game executed from next to the QB. Watch the NFL playoff games today, and compare that to what we have seen the last few years.

I still dont know what pro style means.

Expect the QB under center more often than we have seen in awhile. Also, expect to see the QB call the plays, not have the whole team looking to the sidelines. The expectation will be that the QB actually read the defense than just wait on a signal. I would also say we will see less of the running game executed from next to the QB. Watch the NFL playoff games today, and compare that to what we have seen the last few years.

yeah i know the perception of pro style. Lol. Its still a pretty vague term. Even Riley himself laughed at the notion at his introductory presser.

One that uses the talent we have on hand. Not trying to pound a square peg in a round hole. One in which the oc calls plays the guys can execute. One that is clearly defined ie spread, zone read, power......not multiple....

I'm happy with pro style. Carolina, Dallas and Seattle have a pro style with power run. Carolina, because of Cam, has elements of the zone game......

I could care less what it's called. Just make it reliable and fundamentally sound ie lessen penalties, fumbles (especially center qb).

This is a bit of a silly comp to make, because I don't know how closely the game approximates the actual playbook, but I use Oregon State's playbook in NCAA 14. I'm curious how the NCAA games compile playbooks for different teams-- surely they don't have access to the actual playbooks.

Anyway, The playbook from the game IS pretty multiple. There's singleback two TE, singleback 3WR/1TE, I form, offset I, and a lot of shotgun formations. The shotgun packages all feature some zone read and speed option, which would probably be GOOD for Riley to include this next year, since we have personnel well equipped to run it. Didn't see it at OSU because Mannion is a statue.

If it were me (and I am thinking about trying to become an offensive coach someday so I'm starting to think about what system I'd use), I'd lean heavily on the run since NU can easily recruit top notch RBs and OL, and feature TEs in the passing game. I'm so glad he understands the unique matchup problem they create if utilized correctly. Running should open up things downfield for the passing game, and a Riley/Langsdorf combo should have no problems getting the most out of our QB play.

It's going to be a fun year.