Recruiting ratings: How many stars the Superbowl starters had in high school

I am wondering how many big time playmakers currently in the NFL were 5*? This is a legit question, maybe there are more than I realize. :dunno

Quick scan on rivals of guys names that stood out to me as NFL starters. I'm sure I missed a few along to way.

From 2002 forward by year:

Haloti Ngata

Reggie Bush

Greg Olsen

LaMarr Woodley

Adrian Peterson

Rey Malaluga

Mark Sanchez

Martellus Bennett

Jonathan Stewart

Desean Jackson

Percy Harvin

Gerald McCoy

Matt Stafford

CJ Spiller

Brandon Spikes

Eric Berry

Everson Griffen

Cam Newton

Julio Jones

AJ Green

Matt Kahlil

Kyle Rudolph

Michael Floyd

Ruben Randle

DJ Fluker

Sheldon Richardson

Trent Richardson

Vontez Burfict

Sharrif Floyd

Matt Elam

Jadaveon Clowney

Ha Ha Clinton Dix

Sammy Watkins

Isiah Corwell

Keenan Allen

Along with all of the factors noted above I also think that the salary cap distributes top end players to different teams and also area of need for a team influences who they get. With the five stars so few get ranked at this level that a washout or an injury would quickly skew the stats up the stream so to speak. I would like to see the NFL star distribution compared to the college distribution, you would assume that after the sifting of the college ranks down to the handful of NFL teams that you would start to see the three and four star guys coalesce in significantly higher percentages than the college distribution.

That is really fascinating to me. I actually find the lack of 5 star recruits probably the most interesting.

Like you, to me, this doesn't mean the stars are meaningless. But, it does mean that players at what ever star ranking can be extremely successful.

I wonder if, more times than not, the 5* players have hit their ceiling while the 2 and 3 star players still have major room to improve. They do that improvement with better coaching at the college and then at the pro level. If you think, these guys are at least 4 to maybe 10 years removed from those star rankings. They have had major influence on them from probably some very good coaches.

Hit the nail on the head my friend.

I am wondering how many big time playmakers currently in the NFL were 5*? This is a legit question, maybe there are more than I realize. :dunno

Quick scan on rivals of guys names that stood out to me as NFL starters. I'm sure I missed a few along to way.

Haloti Ngata

Reggie Bush

Greg Olsen

LaMarr Woodley

Adrian Peterson

Rey Malaluga

Mark Sanchez

Martellus Bennett

Jonathan Stewart

Desean Jackson

Percy Harvin

Gerald McCoy

Matt Stafford

CJ Spiller

Brandon Spikes

Eric Berry

Everson Griffen

Cam Newton

Julio Jones

AJ Green

Matt Kahlil

Kyle Rudolph

Michael Floyd

Ruben Randle

DJ Fluker

Sheldon Richardson

Trent Richardson

Vontez Burfict

Sharrif Floyd

Matt Elam

Jadaveon Clowney

Ha Ha Clinton Dix

Sammy Watkins

Isiah Corwell

Keenan Allen

Wow, that's quite the group. Yeah, I know who most of these guys are, just didn't realize their star ranking.
  • 2 weeks later...

Haloti Ngata

Reggie Bush

Greg Olsen

LaMarr Woodley

Adrian Peterson

Rey Malaluga

Mark Sanchez

Martellus Bennett

Jonathan Stewart

Desean Jackson

Percy Harvin

Gerald McCoy

Matt Stafford

CJ Spiller

Brandon Spikes

Eric Berry

Everson Griffen

Cam Newton

Julio Jones

AJ Green

Matt Kahlil

Kyle Rudolph

Michael Floyd

Ruben Randle

DJ Fluker

Sheldon Richardson

Trent Richardson

Vontez Burfict

Sharrif Floyd

Matt Elam

Jadaveon Clowney

Ha Ha Clinton Dix

Sammy Watkins

Isiah Corwell

Keenan Allen

Wow, that's quite the group. Yeah, I know who most of these guys are, just didn't realize their star ranking.

I think the people who should take the most from this are the kids who are 5* out of HS. It proves that just because you have this high rating at age 17 or 18, doesn't mean you are going to be more successful. It simply means the expectations are higher. You still need to work your azz off and actually be serious about what you are doing to reach your goals.