Chatelain: Worst Husker Recruiting Class Ever

Mavric

Obligatory Chatelain in the title.

Apparent Dirk hasn't had enough bad things to write about lately (/sarcasm) but this is an article he filed today. Not to trample on a man's grave (so to speak) but kinds of sheds lite on how Frank was recruiting and what direction we were headed.

You can’t evaluate recruiting classes by results only. A recruiting class becomes great largely because of the instruction it receives. Clearly Nebraska’s player development machine had dipped in the early ‘00s. And clearly it didn’t help the class of 2000 when Bill Callahan overhauled the system before their redshirt senior seasons.

But here’s the bottom line: Not one player from the class of 2000 earned first-team all-conference honors. That’s unprecedented in Husker history. Only T.J. Hollowell played in the NFL.
You ready for the list?
Willie Amos
Jake Andersen
Manaia Brown
Terrell Butler
Thunder Collins
Ira Cooper
Sandro DeAngelis
Mike Erickson
M.J. Flaum
T.J. Hollowell
Lanny Hopkins
Steve Kriewald
DeWayne Long Jr.
Alvin Marshall
Lornell McPherson
Ross Pilkington
Nick Povendo
Jason Richenberger
Chris Septak
Benard Thomas
Ben Zajicek

I'm sorry, but I see no reason for posts like this. The past is gone, Frank is gone, BC is gone and the raving lunatic is gone. We need positive in the program, the fan base and this site. This just seems to dull a pretty good day.

Maybe I am taking it totally wrong, but just do not see a reason to drag up crap like this.

• Fire 4

I'm sorry, but I see no reason for posts like this. The past is gone, Frank is gone, BC is gone and the raving lunatic is gone. We need positive in the program, the fan base and this site. This just seems to dull a pretty good day.

Maybe I am taking it totally wrong, but just do not see a reason to drag up crap like this.

I don't look at it the way you do. Is it a debbie downer article? Yea I guess you could say that. More than anything I think Dirk is just looking back at historical Nebraska recruiting classes. This happens to be one of them unfortunately.

I really only recognized a few names off that list. Crazy that none of them earned 1st team All Conference honors.

• Fire 2

I don't look at it the way you do. Is it a debbie downer article? Yea I guess you could say that. More than anything I think Dirk is just looking back at historical Nebraska recruiting classes. This happens to be one of them unfortunately.

I really only recognized a few names off that list. Crazy that none of them earned 1st team All Conference honors.

This is exactly what's happening. Nothing wrong with writing an article about past recruiting on National Signing Day.

The only way to generate positive vibes in the program is to start winning. Or, at the very least, we need to stop getting blown out.

It provides good context for the reasons why we are where we are now. The simple fact of the matter is when you really get down to it, we have not had many highlights over the last decade. That recruiting class would be a prime reason why Solich was fired, why we got Callahan and so on. It really underscores how important recruiting is, and the catastrophe that can ensue with badly missing on players.

It's NSD and Chatelain files *this* article? WTF?? What a f'ing jerk. So many positive things to write about. And Chatelain chooses to troll the program. Why does the OWH employ that guy? I don't know of one fan who likes his vitriolic, smarmy trolling style of writing. I feel like I want to punch him in the mouth. But I wouldn't because I'd probly break my hand on those donkey teeth. :facepalm:

• Fire 4

A list of players that were recruited for the Husker version of option football that Frank was running didn't excel in a totally different offensive scheme? I'm shocked.

Nothing wrong with this article really, but timing might have been better. Why not let the current buzz enjoy signing day, then you could come out with this post next week.

- And what people said about it.

you seem a bit biased on this Mav..?? all the article is saying is that there was rave reviews about the class of 2000 and after time passed, didn't turn out so well for those guys... why is this bad..??

Why is it bad? Because Dirk wrote it. That's all. Some people seem to have a problem with him because he's not "rah-rah Nebraska is the best team ever!" Which, as a reporter, isn't really his job.
  • Fire 3

I'm sorry, but I see no reason for posts like this. The past is gone, Frank is gone, BC is gone and the raving lunatic is gone. We need positive in the program, the fan base and this site. This just seems to dull a pretty good day.Maybe I am taking it totally wrong, but just do not see a reason to drag up crap like this.

Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

• Fire 1

you seem a bit biased on this Mav..?? all the article is saying is that there was rave reviews about the class of 2000 and after time passed, didn't turn out so well for those guys... why is this bad..??

Why is it bad? Because Dirk wrote it. That's all. Some people seem to have a problem with him because he's not "rah-rah Nebraska is the best team ever!" Which, as a reporter, isn't really his job.

It's national recruiting day. We just landed a pretty decent class, #31 in the nation. Sure, it's not a top ten class. But it's better than nearly any other team that went through a coaching change. Instead of finding something good to say about our new recruits our local sportswriter Dirk Chatelain writes that this class could end up like about the mediocre 2000 class. A class we thought was decent when signed but didn't have any players who went on to win individual awards.

I don't care if it was Santa Clause who wrote that article. I'd still call him a fuckwad. It's NSD. Pour some damn Kool-Aid.

edit: For accuracy.

• Fire 5

It's NSD and Chatelain files *this* article? WTF?? What a f'ing jerk. So many positive things to write about. And Chatelain chooses to troll the program. Why does the OWH employ that guy? I don't know of one fan who likes his vitriolic, smarmy trolling style of writing. I feel like I want to punch him in the mouth. But I wouldn't because I'd probly break my hand on those donkey teeth. :facepalm:

Because of exactly what's going on in this thread as we speak. Like the nationwide commercial. These days it doesnt matter why there's attention. Just that there is.

It's national recruiting day. We just landed a pretty decent class, #31 in the nation. Sure, it's not a top ten class. But it's better than nearly any other team that went through a coaching change. Instead of finding something good to say about our new recruits our local sportswriter Dirk Chatelain writes that this class could end up like the 2000 class. A class we thought was decent when signed but didn't have any players who went on to win individual awards.

I don't care if it was Santa Clause wrote the article. I'd still call him a fuckwad. It's NSD. Pour some damn Kool-Aid.

How many different local writers need to write the same recruiting article?

• Fire 2